Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Science Competition at EPCOT in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi folks, I just put up some photos on my Flickr account that I took on my March trip...well it was the only WDW trip I ever took in March, ...
    bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards

Science Competition at EPCOT

Hi folks,
    I just put up some photos on my Flickr account that I took on my March trip...well it was the only WDW trip I ever took in March, but it was March 2001, anyhow one-quarter of Epcots parking lot was taken up by an huge tent and bleacher structure, I wish that I had the sense to have take some phots that really focused on this, but even though I didn't take any photos directly of it, I caught it in a few photos I was taking of the Monorails (I probably took 60-90 monorail photos on that trip) anyhow here are the two that touch on that structure...note the height of the bleachers they are even with the monorail wouldn't that have been cool to take photos of the monorails from?

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I cannot ever recall anything being set up in the parking lots of the parks.
    You could see right into peoples eyes from that vantage point!

If you look in the upper picture you can scroll back and forth and see that there are bleachers off to each side of the tent, my guess is that the tent was open from the opposite side to present a sort of covered stage area viewable from all the bleachers, and that is simply a huge number of seats there, several thousand I would guess.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    My guess is it would have been the finals for the U.S. FIRST Competition (now just FIRST) which I believe was held at WDW for several years, and would have been in the Spring. I'm pretty sure the structure was there for it in 1999.

I was a member of a team back in the 1993 competition before it became really big, when the championship was still held at a high school in New Hampshire...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Thanks Doc!

That name was just what I needed using that I was able to find an article that seems to confirm it:
    2001 FIRST robotics competition kicks off

I'll include that name in the tags for these photos