Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Planning a WDW Trip in the Ask The Experts forums; Me and my girlfriend are planning on going to WDW in November 2009 (close to thanksgiving) We want to stay in a value resort because we are broke college students ...
    supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Planning a WDW Trip

Me and my girlfriend are planning on going to WDW in November 2009 (close to thanksgiving) We want to stay in a value resort because we are broke college students lol.

I have a few questions because I have never planned a trip myself...

If you are a AAA Member what is the discount and how do you go about getting it?

Where is the cheapest place to buy tickets?

And any other helpful information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

lexitoad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I am not sure on the specific details but I know for booking with AAA you have to call AAA directly. Just keep in mind that you can't stack discounts as read in http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-possible.html . Hopefully someone will be able to answer your other questions better.

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I would start on the official Walt Disney World web site (Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .) and put together a package there and then start to shop around,e.g. AAA or your travel agent. Maybe Southwest airlines but that may be out of your budget. I think if you buy a package deal including room and tickets you will get a much better deal than purchasing them separately. You definitely want a Value Resort. No frills but clean and comfy with nice theming. As far as food, Disney can be expensive so you may consider bringing lunch items with you but I would look at the Disney Dining Plan as well.

One more thought; if you go on Thanksgiving weekend it will be crowded. If your schedule is flexible you may consider the week before or the week after. Thanksgiving is also considered a peak season I believe which means higher costs. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Have a blast planning your trip. It's a major part of the fun. If you have never been before you are in for a real treat. Let the Disney Magic grab you and take you back to when you were a little kid with not a worry in the world. The Magic will do it if you let go!
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

I forgot to add that I will not be flying to WDW because I will be in Georgia on Clinical Rotation for school. So I am tied down to specific dates because of Thanksgiving break and stuff.

Thanks for the help so far! Anyone else have anything to add?

WDW

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I would definitely get a quote from mousefan travel, they take care of everything for you for free and find the best deals.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I have stayed at value resorts the last 2 times I have been and loved them!! After all how much time do you spend in the room!! Food at WDW can be expensive but there are always options. Look at restaurant prices before you go and decide how you want to eat before getting there, it takes a lot of the hassle out believe me!!
    Most of all have a Magical time x x

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    A package may be your best way to go, but my daughter just got tickets from Undercover Tourist and saved a few dollars.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Depending on the length of your trip, Disney is offering an Armed Forces program in 2009. Anyone who is active or retired military is eligible for a free 5 day MYW ticket with park hopper & water park options. They are also eligible to purchase up to 5 more for $99 each. If you have someone in your family that has a military background you can look into that.

I just went this past November and I was able to stack a AAA discount with the fall discounts that were offered by specific resorts. Keep checking back here in the Money Saving/Budgeting Forum. Sometimes the moderate resorts offer deals that are just as good as the price of the value resorts.

The advice of starting on the WDW site is good. Get a starting price there and call AAA and Mousefan Travel.

Another thing to think about is the Disney Visa card. When you put a Disney vacation on a Disney Visa card you have 6 months with no payment/no interest. Also, the Visa gets you 10% off all purchases made at DTD. If you are a person who is fiscally responsible (and we all know whether or not we are) you might want to look into that. Otherwise, I don't usually recommend opening credit cards to college students!

I am a big fan of the meal plan. I think it saves money. It isn't hard to spend $40 per day, or more, on food. Regardless of whether you go with the meal plan or not, I suggest you make your Advanced Dining Reservations for any table service meals you may attend on that 90th day from the start of your vacation. The reservation window used to be 180 days but that has changed to 90 days. Since you are traveling during a peak season you should plan your meals so that you are ready to call on that first available day of your 90 day window.

Most of all, have a magical trip!
    Last edited by MagicMom; 01-07-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: missing information

Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

WDW