Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss ......It's the shoes in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok, I've been battling this for several years and could use some help. Has anyone found in their opinion, the absolute most comfotable pair of walking shoes to take on ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

......It's the shoes

Ok, I've been battling this for several years and could use some help.

Has anyone found in their opinion, the absolute most comfotable pair of walking shoes to take on a WDW vacation?

Even though I am very active and walk on average one mile a day at work, I can't seem to come up with a solution for the parks. I know everyone is different, I'm just looking for a few options. The beat up Nikes probably won't make it one more trip.

Thanks.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    If you can get past the looks, mickey crocs are the way to go! They aren't the most look friendly thing to wear, but they are good shoes, and I survived a week of running around in them. (figured I'd try a pair, because I had about 10 blisters on each foot after the first day, and after I got past staring at my feet, no more hurting or blisters. )
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really don't have a problem walking around the park in anything (unless I'm in six inch stillettos or something ). I prefer flip flops in the summer so I don't get a bad sock tan and in the cooler months, I either do flip flops or tennis shoes. I did learn the past time I was there that most of my comfort (if I'm wearing tennis shoes) is in what kind of socks I wear. I had on socks that didn't provide much cushion and I ended up getting a blister, which was no fun.

I know that a lot of people love Crocs. Personally, I wouldn't wear them - they're not me, but I heard that they're really comfortable.
    ~Ashleigh

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    I know a lot of people don't like to walk around in them for a long time, but I agree with Spodie - I wear flip-flops
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    As a walking shoe disaster, I can offer a little advice.
    I've found Crocs comfortable but not fail proof. New Mickey Crocs tend to rub a blister on the top of the foot. Once they start to wear out, they can cause other problems. They get slippery, and I had a pair of Croc flip-flops that were great on the first trip, but rubbed a terrible blister between my toes on the second. A visit to Crocs.com will show you the many many styles they now have available (Disney and non-Disney).
    Another favorite pair was a cute ballerina flat that felt as good as going barefoot, until it got caught climbing out of a Rock 'n' Rollercoaster car and tore.

And yes, all those shoe issues were on the same trip! To top it off, my back-up pair of sneakers disintegrated after getting them soaked.

My latest park shoes are a pair of Asics. They were a lower-priced pair from that brand, but very comfortable and they didn't give me any issues at all over 5 days.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    For 20 years I have purchased a new pair of Reebok "Princess" gym shoes for every trip I go to WDW. They come in narrow, average and wide width.
    I take them out of the box the morning of our trip, never break them in and they have always given me great comfort. The down side to these shoes is they last 2 to 3 months at best. They breakdown quickly. The leather is as soft as glove leather, great at their born date, not so good for longevity.
    I look at the $49.99 per trip as a small amount in comparison to my WDW trip. Home - Reebok

I too walk 3-5 miles a day and these are not the shoes I do that walking in.
    Disney is a different style of walking, it is continuous so it needs a different type of shoe.

I also walked Disney in Mary Jane Croc's for 2 days. By the end of day two my big toe was getting sore. Your foot sloshes around a bit. I found them a great break from gym's in the evening, shopping or resort. Nothing can beat them around the pool.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I wore my favorite pair of sneakers on my last trip (5 days in Dec) and my blisters are still healing. I have never had luck with shoes and the best I have been able to do is there was one trip were I switched between 3 pairs of shoes. By not wearing the same shoes the whole trip I avoided blisters.

baccimia is offline Fastpass Holder
    I have a great pair of Merrill Flip Flops that I wear every trip. They have great support don't hold water if they get wet and easy to pull off if a flash flood hits MK...(everytime we go I end up barefoot in a poncho in MK...lol). And when my feet can't take my flips a minute longer I will break out my Addias tennis shoes.

Hope this helps!

A little pixie dust can fix anything!

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I always wear tennis shoes in Disney World. All of my other shoes are either ballet flats or high high heels, neither of which are good for that much walking. So I have a pair of Coach tennis shoes and they are SO comfortable. It's like walking on clouds. I know Coach shoes are kind of expensive, but you'd probably pay the same price for a good pair of Nikes or something. And, Coach shoes are cute and fashionable too, so that's a plus.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I bought a pair of Dr. Scholls tennis shoes at Walmart a few months ago. They're the most comfortable pair of shoes I've had in years. I have yet to have a blister or a sore and I wear them to the parks all the time. I did wear crocs a lot, but they tend to hydroplane on wet surfaces and my feet felt tired after a few hours. I much prefer the safety of a full shoe to flip flops or sandals against strollers and other feet.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I always wear worn-in shoes. If you use brand new shoes you are bound to get blisters. (At least for us it happens.) Around the resort I'll wear sandals or my crocs.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    I wore Starter brand athletic shoes on our trip in June '08. After two days at MK and one day at EP I could harldy walk from the pain I felt in my arches. I went to the Kissimmee Walmart and purchased a $20 pair of running shoes and I was able to make it through without any more pain. The Starter shoes were only 6 months old. I'd go with a walking shoe or a running shoe. Tried sandals too. no way will I do that again.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Thanks, there are several good options for me to check out. Taking a couple pairs of shoes along sounds like a good idea also.

My wife can wear flip flops the whole trip, even on the "Epcot Death March" as she calls it and has no trouble at all. She has even wore a pair out mid trip and casually pitched them in an MK trash can and bought new at the next kiosk.

As long as none of my crew at the steel mill knew about it, I might be able to get away with the crocs......never tried a pair.

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    My advice is just buy a regular pair of walking or running shoes.... don't go through the trouble of buying anything fancy schmancy. Just make sure you get a chance to break them in before you go.
    The worst thing I ever did was buy a brand new pair of shoes before a Harry Potter convention... and I was in sooo much pain after so much activity in brand new shoes.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

tink2thecore is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I wore my favorite pair of sneakers on my last trip (5 days in Dec) and my blisters are still healing. I have never had luck with shoes and the best I have been able to do is there was one trip were I switched between 3 pairs of shoes. By not wearing the same shoes the whole trip I avoided blisters.
    I've been going to Disney for years and I totally agree with Stitch...I always trade shoes. I buy cheapo Old Navy Flip Flops that get slippery when wet so when rain is in the forecast I wear my adidas, flip flops for sunny days and I throw in a pair of comfy ballet flats too. I also agree about the sock thing too though. the softer more cushioned the sock, the better my feet feel.
    If you can Dream it, the you can do it!

My only hope is that we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse

Disney 2009 Part Two: 3 months 15 days.... Cannot wait!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast