Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Getting around the world in the Ask The Experts forums; I am going to Disney World in 9 Days! We are staying at the All-Star Music Resort because of it's price. I've stayed there in the past and find it ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Getting around the world

I am going to Disney World in 9 Days! We are staying at the All-Star Music Resort because of it's price. I've stayed there in the past and find it works just fine. This trip I would like to head down to the Boardwalk one night since I've heard good things about the dance hall and shops. I know we can take a bus directly from one of the parks to the Boardwalk after the park closes, but I am wondering what is the best way to get back to the All-Star Resort later in the night? I know there isn't a direct way of transportation, but after the park closes do the buses still run there? Is it possible to get to the parks to transfer to a bus that will take us back to the All-Star resorts? I'm thinking that this will not be possible, but am unsure. If is late at night (after 11pm when Downtown Disney closes) I'm assuming that is would be impossible to take a bus from Boardwalk Inn to Downtown Disney and then get a bus to the All-Star resort if that is the case. I really don't want to get a taxi (can I even get one in the world?) because I don't want to pay extra money on top of the money I've already put in the trip. I plan on asking the front desk at the resort what they think, but I thought I would ask on here for your input before we leave.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    First of all, are you driving? If you do have a car, all you have to do is show your resort ID to the person at the Boardwalk's front gate and maybe tell them why you're there (if they ask). Since you'll be staying on property, you can use other resort's parking lots if you're dining, or in your case, enjoying the Boardwalk.

If you don't have a car, I believe that busses run for about an hour or two after Downtown Disney closes (which will probably be your best bet). I don't know how they are handling it now, especially since you are in a non-peak time. If you're going on a weekday it will probably make it more of a challenge as well. That said, you may be forced to take a taxi, but it's not all bad. Taxis are very popular in Disney World and if you can't find one when you are ready to leave, someone at the concierge desk in the Boardwalk can call one for you (the concierge desk is in the main lobby to the right of check-in, if you're looking at it coming in from the actual boardwalk). The ride from the Boardwalk to the All Stars is about 7 minutes. Where I have only been in a taxi once, I can't imagine that it would cost more than $10, including tip.

You may also want to check and see which park has extra magic hours when you're at the Boardwalk. If Epcot has them, you will be able to go through the park via the International Gateway and catch a bus back if you leave the Boardwalk before 11:00 PM (usually). If the Studios has it that night, then walk or take a Friendship boat over there and catch a bus from there. The Studios is a little less predictable when it comes to evening EMH, but since you won't have to enter the park to get to the busses, you can be a little more flexible with when you leave the Boardwalk. The Studios usually stays open until 12:00 or 1:00 AM on EMH nights with the busses running an hour or two after park closing.

My best advice: take the cab. You won't be wandering around after a long day and night trying to find a ride home. It's easy to say that it will be no problem to do that extra mile or two of walking when you're sitting at home planning the trip, but when you're there, you will just want to rest at that point.
    ~Ashleigh

Go Ask Alice is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Like Spodie said, taxis are a service that never have a closing time.
    Not going to Disney World any time soon...

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Only used a taxi once (from resort to resort), but it was very quick and easy to get. It cost $6 from WL to CR. Early in your stay you could probably jot some phone #'s down from the taxi services you see outside your resort and call one of them just prior to leaving Boardwalk to arrange pick-up.

I've only been in an handful of taxis in my entire life and I'm not all that cab savy, but when I walked out into the area where the taxis were parked and stuck my hand up in the air, they pretty well drove over the top of each other to get to us.

I hate to step back into the real world while I'm @ WDW, but if no other easy option is available, you'll still be ok with a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    I hate to step back into the real world while I'm @ WDW, but if no other easy option is available, you'll still be ok with a taxi.
    I know. Kind of ruins the whole thing. But, what you said. It's your best shot if you can't do it earlier in the day.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    If you go to the web site below, it will estimate the cost of a taxi. We have never had to wait for a taxi at any resort; there are usually several outside each resort's main building and outside each park. It's a real convenience. Wish I was going with you; got back on January 28 and am still in Disney withdrawal.
    MouseSavers.com - Taxi Service at Disney World
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I have had the best luck with a taxi however we also have taken the bus back to the MK during EMH and taken the bus back to our hotel. When it is late and you are tired, the taxi is worth it.

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Thanks. That was very helpful. In my experiences taxi's can be expensive, but I guess it may not be as bad as I had imagine and seems to be the easiest way if we're out late.

Hey, Be11e, clever name!