Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Favorite Value Resort? in the Ask The Experts forums; My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to WDW in November, we are booking through AAA. We plan on staying at a value resort and we will be there ...
    supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Favorite Value Resort?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to WDW in November, we are booking through AAA. We plan on staying at a value resort and we will be there for 4 days (21-24) Then making the long drive back to PA.

So I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Value Resorts, pros cons all that fun stuff. I have been to WDW three times but have never stayed on property. She has been there once and she stayed on property but she was 6, and does not remember too much.

Also any special things going on during those days that you guys deem are worth the time let me know. I already know that I want to see the castle lighting, but I'm not sure what else special there is that time of year.

Thanks guys!
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Favorite Value Resort?

My vote is for Pop Century, it is super clean, well themed, and has lots of cool stuff to look at. The Everything Pop store and counter service restuarant is awesome, best burgers outside of Pecos Bills. The pools are nice and big, and there is a bar by the Hippy Dippy pool, if you are into that sort of thing. If you stay back in the 80's or 90's, there are always parking spaces, but they are a little bit of a walk to the bus station, if you plan on using the buses. Have a great trip!

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

I have stayed at the All Star Music and Pop Century. All of the All Stars have the same layout, but obviously with different themes. I've liked the All Star Music because I'm a musician. However, Disney is putting the bands/orchestras/dance teams/etc. in the Music and the Sports when they come down to perform, so it can get loud at night when they're running around - that's why I don't know how much I really want to stay at the All Star Music any more. Pop Century and All Star Movies are the 2 most popular Values, so they typically don't put performing groups in those hotels.

Pop Century is on a different level and I would try to book that one if you can. The bus service is much better since the busses are only serving Pop Century and not 2 or 3 of the All Stars and the overall layout and theming are definately the best. Pop was built after the All Stars, so they were able to experienced in building this type of resort and had a lot of the kinks worked out.

If I were choosing a Value Resort for my next trip, this is the order that I would choose in:

1) Pop Century
    2) All Star Movies
    3) All Star Music
    4) All Star Sports
    ~Ashleigh

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

I personally don't care for any of the value resorts and usually only stay there if I have no other option (ie everything else is booked). I just find the theming at the resorts to be tacky and they usually have the worst and longest wait time for transportation to and from the parks.

That aside, if I had to pick a best one, I'd go with Pop Century.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Spodie View Post

If I were choosing a Value Resort for my next trip, this is the order that I would choose in:

1) Pop Century
    2) All Star Movies
    3) All Star Music
    4) All Star Sports

This is the order I would put them in. I have stayed in all but Sports (all in one trip actually). I enjoyed the theming of each of them and I only had to ride a bus one day (from Pop) which wasn't too bad. Thanks to my chauffer for that trip!

I think I liked the food court at Pop better.

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

POP Century. It is the best central location to all the parks. It has its own buses and the foodcourt is much better than All Stars.

I disagree with the order the previous 2 posts mentioned.
    I would rate them:

POP Century.
    All Star Sports. The buses are shared with the other All Stars but at Sports they pick you up first and let you off first.
    AllStar Movies. Great theming especially for children.
    All Star Music. Never stayed here but they do have family suites that sleep 6.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Mrs Potts is offline D-Ticket Holder

I agree with Pop Century - this year will be our second time there. All Star Movies isn't bad either, it's the sharing the bus that takes time. Value resorts are a great way for people to stay on property without spending a small fortune. As for the "tacky" themes, I love it! At Allears.net you can see photos of the resorts.
    Disney Dreamin'

LordQx4 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I have only stayed at the Pop Centuary resort, but had a blast. The themeing was great and the location of the Bus stop, store, food court, and pool were all relatively close to the building I stayed in (70s). For the most part the nights were quiet and I didnt have any problems what so ever. The buses were always relatively quick and I never had to wait to long. If I was to stay in another Value resort I would definately go back to Pop Centuary.
    Disney Stock Holder, D23 Member, DVC Member, AP Holder

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like we will be booking at the Pop century.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post
    I personally don't care for any of the value resorts and usually only stay there if I have no other option (ie everything else is booked). I just find the theming at the resorts to be tacky and they usually have the worst and longest wait time for transportation to and from the parks.

That aside, if I had to pick a best one, I'd go with Pop Century.
    I am sorry you feel the way you do about the value resorts.There are tons of people that really like and enjoy the value resorts.The theming is NOT tacky either.All four value resorts happen to represent some of the most important things in everyones' lives.Music,sports,movies,and popular culture and fads of each decade.
    More people cannot afford the moderates and deluxe resorts than can afford them;so when those that can stay in a value resort on Disney property,can do so,I would tend to believe that every family is quite thankful to be able to stay at a value resort,just to experience staying on property.
    Maybe the buses are crowded at times and waiting in line for a bus does get a little tiresome,but hey,weigh the small amount of inconvenience,with the huge advantages of staying on property and most people are very appreciative to deal with the transportation difficulties just to be on Disney property.
    Furthermore,we personally stayed at Carribbean beach Resort once and I was NOT impressed at all;considering how much more I had to pay for that moderate resort in comparision to a value resort.The rooms were not any better than a value,it may have been slightly bigger,but not much.The food court was horrible,and the arcade wasn't worth walking in.The grounds weren't any better in landscaping than a value.The ONLY thing that was slightly better,was the sand at each section and the hammocks on the sand.That was it!That was not worth the extra money at all.
    So I am sorry that you find the value resorts tacky;and I am quite sure that when you DO have to stay in one;you're probably no fun to be around.But always remember,you DO have choice.Make the right one.Have a good day.
    P.S. This is not a bashing response,not at all.This is just a response from someone that loves the values and I know many others do as well.
    Park Hopper Dad!