Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Reflections of Earth in the Ask The Experts forums; Does anyone know of a site that explains the whole story of the EPCOT Reflections of Earth show? Glenn talked about telling the story to some people at Mousefest 2008, ...
    kahaen is offline A-Ticket holder

Reflections of Earth

Does anyone know of a site that explains the whole story of the EPCOT Reflections of Earth show? Glenn talked about telling the story to some people at Mousefest 2008, on WDW Radio #98. I would love to read the whole story. Is Reflections still rumored to be replaced this year? I hope not, since it is my favorite.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Reflections of Earth

I hope it is not replaced either. The technology seems to have gotten better over the years and we really enjoy it.

Crazy Hakim is offline A-Ticket holder

There really is no true story, it is all a matter of interpretation.
    Here's a quick, my point of view.
    The flame-barge represents the creation of the universe, sort of the Big Bang Theory (also mentioned in Ellen's Universe).
    After the flames die down, the globe lights up and it starts off "red" hot. As the earth cools it turns blue and represents the Earth covered in water, then we gradually go to a tan (earth tones) color moving from the water to the land, and then green as living plants start to cover the globe, until we see beautiful land scenes, notice no buildings, people or animals,
    Next come the animals, two seals, a bald headed eagle, giraffe, rhino, until we get to the running white horse, who appears on all the continents, and then is suddenly a cave painting.
    We see a few more primitive cave paintings as the music swells and we exit the cave and see man walking on the earth.
    The next sequence shows man/woman traveling and exploring the world, and you will notice that with each image his means of transportation gets more modern until we finally see a jet plane.
    Then we see famous landmarks from all over the world as (all but two) of the World Showcase pavilions light up.
    The globe blacks out and we start a new sequence that I call Man's Creativity, and we see all different types of art forms on the globe, like painting, sculpture, music, dancing, and more. The last image shows the space shuttle lifting off and 56 famous faces are shown. Eleanor Roosevelt, John Lennon, Lucille Ball, Walt Disney just to name a few.
    Next I call The Moral of the Story when we see all different age groups and nationalities of people gathered together "to share their stories", peace and harmony, join hands, share the flame of a candle, as the 19 torches re-light around World Showcase and the globe blossoms as the 20th torch rises up and lights starting off the grand finale of the the presentation. 20 torches representing the 20 centuries that have passed.
    (Not bad from the top of my head) LOL

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Crazy Hakim has most of it, but there is indeed an official story. You can read it in "Marking the Millennium, The Celebration of a Lifetime at the Walt Disney World Resort" by Pam Brandon.

The Show Director, Don Dorsey, created ROE as a three-act play, tied together with music by Gavin Greenaway.
    Act 1 is "Chaos" - capturing "the tumultuous, firey early history of the planet Earth."
    Act 2 is "Order" - the floating of the Earth Globe into the center of the lagoon, displaying the history of Earth from the early beginnings of plant and animal life through the astronauts in space.
    Act 3 is "Meaning" - a celebration, bringing the story of our planet up to the present day. The Earth Globe opens like the petals of a flower, as the 20th torch rises from its center, symbolizing the dawn of the new millennium.

A quote from Don Dorsey about ROE:
    "Every day we're alive on the planet is special. Every morning brings a new opportunity, a chance to move forward, to experience new things, to better ourselves, to grow together as people. In Reflections of Earth, not only are we looking back at our history and our planet, but we are reflecting on the things that we have done and how far we've come. And we have to contemplate the future, we have to realize that we are responsible for making each day as bright and as promising as we can."
    Last edited by disneydame2004; 03-31-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

yes, I agree. It has different interpretations... but basically they follow both what Crazy Hakim and disneydame2004 said.

1. Your belief on Creation/How the world became to be
    2. How you believe the Earth came to be with humans, animals, sea, sky, etc.
    3. The 20th century/known man/celebration of life, communication, and everything else up to present day
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Crazy Hakim is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Crazy Hakim has most of it, but there is indeed an official story. You can read it in "Marking the Millennium, The Celebration of a Lifetime at the Walt Disney World Resort" by Pam Brandon.
    Yes, but this is nothing more than a broad outline or concept. What I meant was that there is not step-by-step or image-by-image explanation of the performance, that most people do not realize that the images are not random, and when viewed enough times start to fit together like the pieces of a puzzle. And, truthfully, I prefer it be that way.
    IllumiNations is a very special show, never tire of it.

LivLuvsTink is offline C-Ticket Holder

That's amazing! I never knew the story behind this show. This is my absolute favorite so now I have a newfound appreciation for it!
    I hope we never lose sight of one thing,
    that it was all started by a mouse.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

love it also
    J&J

Andrewgator is offline D-Ticket Holder

I have to force my family everytime to stick around and watch it. The music, the images, its very powerful. I'm still trying to find my favorite spot. The last one was the best. One of the bridges in the Italian pavillion. Unobstructed view plus wishes in the background. Your favorites?

maxiv is offline A-Ticket holder

@Crazy Hakim:

EXCELLENT JOB!!! but since there are only 11 pavillions to what are the other 9 torches tied and what do they represent?

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by maxiv View Post
    @Crazy Hakim:

EXCELLENT JOB!!! but since there are only 11 pavillions to what are the other 9 torches tied and what do they represent?
    Since this show was launched as part of the millennium Celebration, the 9 torches around the WS represent the last 900 years. The torch on the earth barge during the finale represents the full 100 years, and the start of a new millennium.

Gee, just thinking about this brings a little of that magic feeling back to me
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!