Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Turkey Legs in the Ask The Experts forums; I've heard Lou speak of the Turkey Legs on his podcasts. It sounds like they have been offered for quite a long time. How did this somewhat odd meal become ...
    pixarnick is offline A-Ticket holder

Turkey Legs

I've heard Lou speak of the Turkey Legs on his podcasts. It sounds like they have been offered for quite a long time. How did this somewhat odd meal become a mainstay at the park. Is there some sort of historical significance? Also where do you order them?

Thanks,
    Nick

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Turkey Legs

There are several places that you can get them...
    Here are a few:

Magic Kingdom: The Lunching Pad (Tomorrowlandunder the TTA and Astro Orbitor) and I believe that there is a cart in Frontierland that serves them as well

Hollywood Studios: Toluca Legs Turkey Company (Sunset Boulevard down by Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror)

and I believe that they are $6.19
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

we got our first ever at Epcot over by TT & MS man they are the best

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

FreddyGee is offline A-Ticket holder

And the next time you are by a Turkey Leg Cart, breathe deep.
    Does it smell like Turkey to you? Or does it smell like ham? Makes
    you wonder how and what they are prepared with in the cooking
    processes. Maybe we should send Lou over to investigate.

GUNMETALSCION is offline B-Ticket Holder

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ham

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

There's usually sold at little buildings that look like all they sell may be drinks or hot dogs and the like.

Although I must admit, the turkey legs smell wonderful it got pretty sickening to eat after a while. No one in my family liked them.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

pixarnick is offline A-Ticket holder

Great - thanks for all the input, seems as though they're readily available. I find it amusing that folks walk around eating a big turkey leg. Looking forward to seeing and trying them when we vacation in June. First time back to WDW since 1976.

Does anyone have any idea why this is part of Disney's 'standard fare' - what's the history behind it?

PS - love the website and all the info everyone continually offers.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I know that a lot of people love those turkey legs, but they just don't compare to my wife's roast turkey. I also think they smell like ham and I am not a big fan of them.

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I know that a lot of people love those turkey legs, but they just don't compare to my wife's roast turkey. I also think they smell like ham and I am not a big fan of them.
    Roast turkey??? Do people still do that. I thought everybody fried turkeys now. (southern humor)
    I agree that the turkey legs are cooked as one might cook a ham. And I agree that after a while I get tired of eating it. They are BIG! Two people could share one leg unless this is your meal. For a snack I would definitly share one.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I got my first near Japan in the WS, my second in frontierland, and my third right in front of the American Adventure. My mouth is watering right now, wishing I was sitting on a bench or strolling through the WS with one... I do agree they smell delicious, and yes, they are a bit much for one person, but don't miss out on one of disney's staples, along with the popcorn, dole whips, and mickey ice cream bars!!! YUMM!!!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

KrisL418 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyGee View Post
    And the next time you are by a Turkey Leg Cart, breathe deep.
    Does it smell like Turkey to you? Or does it smell like ham? Makes
    you wonder how and what they are prepared with in the cooking
    processes. Maybe we should send Lou over to investigate.

Yeah, they totally taste and smell like ham to me too!
    ~Pop Century~Sept '06~
    ~Boardwalk~Aug '07~
    ~Pop Century~Aug '08~

<3 Stitch!

College Program Wanna Be 2011

drifter is offline A-Ticket holder

I can't wait to figure out the Ham v. Turkey conundrum. I just know I'm looking forward to getting my chompers into one. The first time I had one I was on dinosaur overload from my son who can't get enough of all things prehistoric.
    I don't know whether it was because of the heat and/or my age and the constant dino-chat, but I thought that they were selling Dinosaur-Legs as a gimmick. So my family now refers to these tasty treats as Dino-Legs. Crazy? You be the judge.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    I can't wait to figure out the Ham v. Turkey conundrum. I just know I'm looking forward to getting my chompers into one. The first time I had one I was on dinosaur overload from my son who can't get enough of all things prehistoric.
    I don't know whether it was because of the heat and/or my age and the constant dino-chat, but I thought that they were selling Dinosaur-Legs as a gimmick. So my family now refers to these tasty treats as Dino-Legs. Crazy? You be the judge.
    No conundrum at all really! Turkey doesn't really have much flavor on its own so it's perfect for smoking. Once that meat absorbs the smoke flavor it tastes like ham. I do agree that they get a little hard to eat once they cool down. I have had one at a local Renaissance Festival but never WDW. They seem to get a strange texture to them or you get a little burned out on eating a 5lb turkey leg!
    Last edited by ohiodisneydad; 04-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

FreddyGee is offline A-Ticket holder

But these are different than the typical smoked bird aroma. Even the color is very different than smoked bird. Ham has a sugar smell when cooked just like WDW Legs. These turkey legs are a different animal (lol).

Lou, taste test meet?

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I bet they are marinaded or glazed prior to smoking. I know I plan on munching on one as a snack credit during Free DDP this September! That is a must have along with a Dole Whip and a Mickey Ice Cream Bar!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast