Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Books about WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello Board Members, Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I believe this is my first post. I would like to find books that deal with the history of ...
    highlander357 is offline A-Ticket holder

Books about WDW

Hello Board Members,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I believe this is my first post.

I would like to find books that deal with the history of WDW. I enjoy the parts of the podcast when Lou talks about resorts that were planned but never built, and things that were built but have gone away. Are you aware of any books that deal with that subject? Thanks for your help.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Books about WDW

I've read a few books about WDW and Walt Disney, here are my recommendations.

1. Since The World Began by Jeff Kurtti - This is a great book with lots of pictures and art covering the first 25 years of WDW.

2. Remembering Walt by Amy and Howard Green - This book is a rememberance of Walt Disney as told in the words of his family and friends. Lots of great pictures and stories.

3. Disney War by James B Stewart - The is a very detailed account of the Eisner years of the Disney company. There's not too much coverage of WDW history, but it is very interesting to see how Eisner grew to company to what it is today. WARNING: This book doesn't really have much Disney Magic, it contains quite a few curse words and F-bombs, so beware.

4. Spinning Disneys World by Charles Ridgeway - This is a fantastic book with lots of great stories from both Disneyland and WDW. If you are a fan of The WDW Radio Show, then you know this book won't disappoint.

5. Walt Disney by Neal Gabler - This is a HUGE biography of Walt Disney, a very good read.

6. Of course you have to pick up both of Lou's trivia books, they have a ton of great trivia and info. And I know the year is 4 months old, but I also recommend his page a day trivia calender as well, fun park facts for each day.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Mrs Potts is offline D-Ticket Holder

I love, love, love the Imagineering Field Guides
    Disney Dreamin'

Joel&Bee is offline B-Ticket Holder

Joel playing bass with The Tropicals in Animal Kingdom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf8R7zVt1M

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for the book ideas. Wonder what I can download on the kindle? It would be nice to read something that does not "slam" the company.

Goofysgal is offline A-Ticket holder

In addition to Lou's great trivia books, I have a few nice Disney titles. This has become my newest type of souvenir that I pick up for myself I try to get a new WDW or Walt Disney book so I don't feel sooo sad when it's time to leave.

I just bought "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak" while we were at WDW. Talks about how the ideas for the Matterhorn, Space, Splash, etc came up as well as some that didn't make it to fruition. I also have "Designing Disney" by John Hench which has lots of concept art in it. "Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real" by the Imagineers is a fantastic read too.

You might want to google Walt Disney World books or do a Search on Amazon and see what pops up.
    Valerie

Past Visits: '72, '85, '91 - offsite; May 03 - VWL; Nov 04 - BCV (new DVC members); May 05 - VWL; March 06 (VWL); Nov 06 (VWL); April 07 (BCV); March 08 (SSR); Jan 09 (VWL); April 09 (AKV); April '10 (AKV/BCV)

Next Trip: April '12 (Kidani Village) for Easter!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We have many of the books above and I love most of them.

The book I pick through the most is Disney A-Z by Dave Smith.

It is easy to read just a bit or look something up in particular that you are wondering about. It gives little paragraph, snapshot information.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

highlander357 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for all the responses. I do have Lou's calendar, but the rest are new to me. The imagineering book about Disney Worlds mountains sounds very interesting.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Goofysgal View Post
    I just bought "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak" while we were at WDW. Talks about how the ideas for the Matterhorn, Space, Splash, etc came up as well as some that didn't make it to fruition. I also have "Designing Disney" by John Hench which has lots of concept art in it. "Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real" by the Imagineers is a fantastic read too.
    Agreed!! All three of these are great books!
    Also, if you're looking for history of the whole company, Disney: the first 100 years is a great book.
    The Imagineering Field Guides are great intros to some imagineering of the parks, and for disneyland park music history, but "A Musical History of Disneyland" It's a 6 CD set, but in addition to the music, there is a great book that covers some of Disneyland's present and past attractions along with their music.

And of course Lou's Trivia Books Can find some very cool facts, etc. in them!!!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Okinawadan is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi guys!

I would love to get a copy of Jeff Kurtti's The Art of Walt Disney World.

Does anyone know how I could get a copy sent to me here in Sydney Australia?

Does Disney have a Park Shopping Service I could try perhaps!

I tried Amazon.com but it seems to be a park exclusive.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Okinawadan

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

My family has to books from when the parks first opened...they have a lot of info about past stuff ( that is a given). You could look for them on Ebay.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Okinawadan View Post
    Hi guys!

I would love to get a copy of Jeff Kurtti's The Art of Walt Disney World.

Does anyone know how I could get a copy sent to me here in Sydney Australia?

Does Disney have a Park Shopping Service I could try perhaps!

I tried Amazon.com but it seems to be a park exclusive.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Okinawadan
    You can email WDW Mail Order at wdw.mail.order@disneyworld.com or call 407-363-6200. They should be able to help you!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House

You might want to check your local library for some older books that were not published by Disney. They often give another perspective (not always negative) about WDW.

My favorite is Florida's Disney World: Promises and Problems by Leonard E. Zehnder published in 1975. This book offers a lot of information regarding what was originally planned and what was actually built.

You might want to also look for pre-opening books that Disney published. These offer artists concepts of some of the Magic Kingdom resorts that were never built. Designing Disney by John Hench also has info on things that were never built.
    Lisa

"No capes!"