Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Tips for a Leisurely Trip to Disney? in the Ask The Experts forums; Hey Gang! I'm taking my parents down to Disney World for a week to celebrate their anniversary. It'll just be the three of us and we are very excited. We've ...
    ratchet36 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Tips for a Leisurely Trip to Disney?

Hey Gang!

I'm taking my parents down to Disney World for a week to celebrate their anniversary. It'll just be the three of us and we are very excited. We've been to Disney World a few times (over 15x for me and over 20x for them) and each time (regardless of who we've gone with) we take the 'commando' approach to see and do everything we possibly can! As you can imagine, we've gotten quite good at it (haha), and we have the opportunity to see and do a number of really incredible things at WDW each time we go.

This time, however, we have decided to treat this trip as a relaxing and leisurely vacation. So, my question for all you savvy Disney fans is: how should we plan a leisurely trip to Disney? I feel like this is a side of WDW that we have yet to experience and I can use all the suggestions you have! We have some ideas, like we have a reservation for Victoria and Alberts (our first time!), we plan to visit the different hotel pools in the afternoons, and we are looking forward to sampling little bits of food all across world showcase. Any other ideas??? Have any of y'all done a leisurely trip to Disney World, and, if so, what did you do to make it relaxing?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to all your ideas!!

Sincerely, Jeff

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Re: Tips for a Leisurely Trip to Disney?

Depending on the time of year that you are visiting and your tolerance for the heat, include some "walking" tours of some of the hotel properties. You can park at the Boardwalk (there's additional parking on the right side of the road, just past the entrance to the BWI itself) or take a bus or a boat. You can walk all around the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Clubs, and The Dolphin and the miniature golf area. Check out the Wide World of Sports. It's an interesting complex.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Lover_of_Disney is offline A-Ticket holder

Another thing you could do is go to the spa at Saratoga Springs or the Grand Floridian. You could go shopping around World Showcase and get something from each country. You could tour the monorail resorts. Come to think of it, there are several resorts with interesting lobbies and theming! You could get Cirque tickets if it's not too late. Another thing you could do is go have fun in Downtown Disney and see a movie. You might even have fun getting autographs - just don't go on a mad hunt for them. Buying lanyard of pins and trading them is another fun thing to do. Dining in some of the other resorts would be fun ... unless you don't have the money because of V&A! You could go on a behind-the-scenes tour. If Backstage Magic or Keys to the Kingdom sound too expensive and long, the Behind the Seeds tour is about 15 dollars I think and is only about an hour long. Whatever you do, you're going to have an awesome time.
    A dream is *WISH* your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Going to Disney this June of '10!

`~`A true Disney princes!`~`

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I would start by NOT getting the park hoppers, this forces you to not do so much running around. It keeps you focused on one park and when your done with that you can do other relaxing non park things, ex. Downtown Disney, mini golf, boat rentals, beach/pool, and while you can resort hop you cannot pool hop unless you are a DVC member and I believe they even have restrictions (I don't think they are allowed at the Beach/Yacht Club pool unless they are staying there). Maybe everyone would enjoy a spa day, now that's relaxing! You could also schedule a carriage ride at either Fort Wilderness or Port Orleans. Many of the resorts also have their individual fun/relaxing things to do. Where are you staying?
    Now one last question, can I adopt you (my aniversary is in October in case you want to start planning)
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

DH & I always do the "slug touring". The first time he took me there was a commando trip... Needless to say I broke him of that really fast! I don't want to get home needing a vacation from my vacation.

You didn't mention where you are staying, but when we stay at a delux we enjoy getting something for breakfast at the resort then sitting on the balcony w/breakfast & coffee to start the day.

See what the resort has to offer -- See if you can catch the hula dancers or torch lighting @ the Poly, PORS has Yee Haw Bob, around the Boardwalk in the evenings they have street performers, some resorts do movies, etc. Ask at the desk when you check in.

And like you said, just walk at a slower pace & pay attention to what is around you. Grab a Micky Bar & sit by Splash Mountain & watch the folks (on the ride & on the bridge when they get wet). Grab a cocktail and enjoy the shows in Epcot -- Mo Rockin & the belly dancer is a great show to catch. Try a flight of wine in Germany. If they aren't busy ask a few questions... the kids love to explain the wines & the country if they get a chance. Take an hour & walk the Discovery Trail @ AK... the artwork in the tree is fantastic, but even more amazing when you can get up close to some of it & really see the details.

And of course, be sure you let anyone & everyone know it is your folks anniversary!
    Zima-Cheryl

ratchet36 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank you all so much for the wonderful suggestions! I really appreciate your ideas! zima_cheryl, I am definitely going to refer to it as 'slug touring'- I think that is such a great name! And GIOny, Lover_of_Disney, and mini-V: your suggestions were spot on! I especially liked the ideas of exploring the Boardwalk, doing the Behind the Seeds tour (my dad is wicked into gardening), and going miniature golfing!

I definitely should have mentioned in the original post that we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I had forgotten about Yeehaw Dave there. I know Lou mentioned him during a podcast, but can you all remind me what the show is about/like? Also, we are looking forward to relaxing with coffee in the morning too- where is a good place to do this at Port Orleans Riverside?

And finally, one last question, since you all mentioned it: Where are your favorite places in the parks to sit and just soak in the park atmosphere (and possibly eat at the same time haha)?

Thanks again! (btw, we're going at the end of August)

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Favorite spots to sit and relax:
    Epcot - along the walkway to the Boardwalk, the steps on in China, and the bridge between England and France
    MK - Near Aloha Isle
    Studios - just east of Echo Lake, and Rosie's All-American Cafe
    AK - the eating area for Flame Tree Barbecue, the sitting area near the DVC kiosk and Kids Discovery Club in Asia
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.