Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Cheap things for a young couple to do in Disney? in the Ask The Experts forums; My Girlfriend and I are going to WDW in late November and we are staying at the Pop Century. I will be 20 at the time of the trip and ...
    supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Cheap things for a young couple to do in Disney?

My Girlfriend and I are going to WDW in late November and we are staying at the Pop Century. I will be 20 at the time of the trip and she will be 19. I'm trying to figure out some cool things that we can do that will stand out in our minds for many years to come.

We are already planning on doing Characters in Flight, and maybe a Character Breakfast. The only thing is that we have heard that at the breakfasts there are a lot of screaming little kids and that would be a buzz kill for us in the early morning. Any ideas or comments on the Character Breakfast?

Also I really want to treat her to a massage at the Grand Floridian. If anyone has ever had one there please let me know and tell me if it was actually worth the money.

We are also a little bit limited on time. We only have 4 days available for the parks and we want to spend one day at each park. So there are many factors that I feel are holding us back from doing all we want but any information is greatly appreciated.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Cheap things for a young couple to do in Disney?

I love Character meals! I ate at my first character meal in December for the first time since I was six and I had a great time! Yes, there are kids, but they don't run around screaming. It was actually pretty cute to watch their excited reactions when the characters came by to see them. If you haven't already made a reservation somewhere, I would highly recommend Chef Mickey's.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do everything at WDW in 4 days, but you probably already knew that. We got APs this year and have been about 30 days total so far this year and I still feel like I haven't done everything yet! So my advice to you is to pick out your must-dos in every park and then coordinate the other activities to fit into what park you're go to that day so that you get the most out of your time. For example, go to MK if you pick Chef Mickey's Character Breakfast and Grand Floridian Massage. If you want to see Fantasmic!, check what day it is playing when you're there and go to DHS that day. I have found that if you have a basic outline (NOT a down-to-the-minute plan for every waking hour) of what you want to do on your trip, you will get the most out of your time. Have a great trip and remember, planning is a great way to get pumped for your trip!
    ~Ashleigh

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I agree with Spodie, that is how I arranged my past 2 trips and it has worked perfectly. Character Breakfasts are awesome. In the 4 that I've been to, I have never encountered crazy kids, just some crying ones, but it's usually not bad. I think you will really enjoy a character breakfast if you do one. For instance, you could have breakfast at Chef Mickey's, ride the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom, and then take the monorail to the GF for the massage. If you need/want to get to Downtown Disney one day, do it on Animal Kingdom Day, because it closes at 5, and you have the rest of the night to enjoy something else...

My tips for magical times in November...
    *Don't miss the atmosphere of the Spectacle of Dancing Lights at MGM. Go after you see fantasmic if possible. We stayed enjoying them for at least an hour and a half after MGM (err DHS... its still MGM to me) just watching the lights and enjoying the atmosphere... it really gets you in the christmas mood for next month!
    *If the funds are out there, consider Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It's never too early for Christmas! It'll extend your time in the Magic Kingdom, and it is guaranteed to be an extra magical night!
    *DON'T try to see everything. You can't. Pick the main things you want to see, and see them. Anything else is just an extra bonus. Try to relax and enjoy the trip instead of rush rush rushing around.
    *Don't miss the special holiday ending tag on IllumiNations. It is a 5 minute or so finale that is not to be missed, it will bring a tear to your eye.

Hope this helps, and Hope you have an Magical trip!!!!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

Since you'll have a fridge in your room, it's worth planning your breakfasts, lunches and snacks on your own instead of in the parks. Then you have more to spend on dinners at some of the better restaurants, souveniers, etc. Beside, the food lines are usually as long as the ride lines. And you can eat anywhere you want. Think of the time you'll save if you eat breakfast on the monorail and lunch while watching a parade.

BTW, I just read an article that said that Denmark had the happiest women on the earth and the reason is they spend their money on experiences rather than material things. So maybe save the food and souvenier budgets and go for a VIP tour.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks you everyone! This has been very insightful. I'm hoping to make this trip as nice as possible for the both of us and you guys, have helped me a lot. Thank you!!!!
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder

The loudest character breakfast I've seen has been Chef Mickey. The Lilo Breakfast at the Poly is really nice and will have a more open feel, I think.

Good point on making use of your fridge. If you take mid-day breaks, perhaps try to get your "dinner" reservations at their last lunch seating (usually around 3 - it varies by restaurant) to still take advantage of the lunch priced menus. then you can snack later in the evening and still likely come out ahead.

Plus, there's nothing to say you have to be a KID to use Kidcot!! If you both team up on a project, it might be a special souvenir and a good way to talk at length to some folks about their native countries.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supermariodrums View Post
    We are already planning on doing Characters in Flight, and maybe a Character Breakfast. The only thing is that we have heard that at the breakfasts there are a lot of screaming little kids and that would be a buzz kill for us in the early morning. Any ideas or comments on the Character Breakfast?
    Don't let the kids deter you from the character breakfast. DH & I are childfree & never miss at least one when ever we go to the world. It is no different than any where else in the park. Yes there are kids & some probably cry or get excited, but you'll see that in line for the bus, on the rides, etc. It isn't a big deal. And honestly, we are usually so wrapped up in our own fun, that we don't notice. And the characters are great... they give us just as much time & attention as any other table there.

One tip - if you do a park breakfast, get an early ADR (eg: 8a for MK) so you are past the turnstiles before park open. Great way to get a little jump on the morning crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by TestSherpa View Post
    Since you'll have a fridge in your room, it's worth planning your breakfasts, lunches and snacks on your own instead of in the parks.
    Great idea. I don't know Pop, but if they have a coffee maker in the room, just get something light and the 2 of you can have breakfast in the room every morning.

I'm trying to figure out some cool things that we can do that will stand out in our minds for many years to come.
    We are also a little bit limited on time. We only have 4 days available for the parks and we want to spend one day at each park. So there are many factors that I feel are holding us back from doing all we want but any information is greatly appreciated.
    As everyone else said...you never do it "all" and even if you did, things change so there is always something new to see or do.

A few ideas I had & most are free. Keep in mind, some may be easier than others to get to depending on if you have a car or are using Disney transportation.

Go to the Poly & watch Wishes from the beach one night (this would be good if you do AK one day since that park closes so much earlier).

I've not done this, but evidently HS has an animation "class" where a cast memeber walks you through drwaing your own character.

Go over & stroll the Boardwalk. Enjoy the street performers & maybe spit a sunday @ Beaches & Cream.

At POR you can go to see Yee Haw Bob's show.

AKL used to have a story teller (it was at 8p when we were there a few years ago). You sit around the fire pit in these really comfy rocking charis & one of the cast members tells you a story (like a bed time story) from their home country. And then stick around and do the night-vision glasses to view the animals there.

The Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot is reasonable (in price & time).

Check out Down Town Disney. Just stroll, enjoy the shops, grab a free sample @ the Gihardelli (sp?) store, check out the amazing lego creations, watch them hand wrap cigars @ Sosa's. Maybe stop & grab dessert somewhere.

I believe the price of the mini-golf isn't too bad, and that could be a nice way to spend an afternoon or evening.

Fort Wilderness has wagon & carriage rides. We've never tried the wagon ride, but have done the carriage ride & it was very romantic. A little pricey but may be worth the splurge. And if you time it right you can catch bits of the Wishes fireworks through the trees.

I would also suggest that you take lots & lots of pictures. Then put them in a collage or book or something. We have little 12 x 12 collages from each trip w/pictures, our room key, EMH wrist bands, pressed pennies, and anything else we collect along the way. Every time you walk by it will remind you of the wonderful trip you had together.
    Last edited by zima-cheryl; 06-21-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Zima-Cheryl

DHI
    DHI is offline C-Ticket Holder

Just going to Disney World will stick out in your mind... it isn't about seeing everything or going on rides... its about being with people u care about and being at Disney World... I mean c'mon! ITS FREAKIN DISNEY WORLD!
    Wishin' I was in the World

What will you CELEBRATE!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I love doing character meals! They are a lot of fun, and I have always gotten good character interaction (even when I was there by myself). My favorite breakfasts are Chef Mickey's and Donald's Safari Breakfast at AK.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by TestSherpa View Post
    Since you'll have a fridge in your room...
    I'm not aware of POP having fridges in the rooms, except perhaps the family suites. Certainly the room we had earlier this month did not have one, unless it was very well camoflaged...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

bety is offline Disney World Beast

The only character breakfast I've done is Cape May Cafe, and there were no obnoxious children there either. It is a smaller breakfast with less characters, but it's also less expensive. I enjoyed it a lot.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

IMO, Cape May Cafe is the best Character Meal for adults! It was much more...well, civilized than the others!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Souldier is offline B-Ticket Holder

if your going during Christmas, you should really stop by MGM- er, Hollywood Studios. They have Streets Of America all lit up. its absolutely breathtaking.
    Halloween has come and gone..

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

ADRIEN

Formerly known as Dznyfreak42

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I hear your concern about Character Breakfasts. They are a shot in the dark as to who you will be seated next to. Sometimes they have been fine others not so much. If you go to Chef Mickey's I'd try dinner. The food is better, if you go later odds are the really little ones that are overtired are tucked in their beds. I'm not a big fan of any buffet, I find the food to be typical cooked in mass fare. Kona a much nicer experience for breakfast.

The bar at Port Riverside is open to all ages and is a hoot, just find out what nights the show will be preformed. (usually 4 or 5 nights) No cover charge. A stroll around this resort is very romantic at night. The ferry down the dark river from here to downtown Disney is delightful, free and from there you can transfer back to Pop. (You'll also get a peek at the new Tree Houses that just opened) The Poly is another resort that is magical in the evening.

The Osborn Lights at DHS starts I believe after Thanksgiving this year though they are known to have test nights ahead of its grand opening. It is in the evening. A cup of hot cocoa in the evening with snow falling on your head while listening to Christmas Carols is a memory maker and also free with admission to the park.

As a Mom of a 21 year old son, who has had been with his girl friend down at Disney, stay away from the Fantsyland rides early in the day. By evening especially on late nights you will not be tripping over strollers left and right.

Have fun!

* I do not believe the fridges available at Pop are free but can be requested, a bit pricey for a dorm fridge.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-23-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.