Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss New Year's Fireworks in the Ask The Experts forums; Hey all! I know this is super early, but my girlfriend and I have already booked a Disney New Year's trip and are going Dec. 29-Jan. 2. My question involves ...
    chodnett is offline A-Ticket holder

New Year's Fireworks

Hey all!

I know this is super early, but my girlfriend and I have already booked a Disney New Year's trip and are going Dec. 29-Jan. 2.

My question involves the New Year's Fireworks (Countdown). I have seen videos on youtube where the fireworks were held at Magic Kingdom and shot over the Castle.

Looking at last year's schedule on wdwinfo.com, they make no mention of this. In fact the only late fireworks appear to be at Hollywood studios (11:50 PM) and Epcot (11:40 PM).

Are the new year's fireworks moved from park to park each year or are they always at MK?

Thanks!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: New Year's Fireworks

MK was packed last year on New Year's. But they did have fireworks but it may have been at the "normal" Wishes time- I don't remember. I think they really want people to go to other parks so lessen the masses at MK so they have the fireworks at the Studios. We spent the morning at Epcot then left when crowds started getting crazy. We then went back to the hotel and rested up for our evening. We had plans to attend Hoop Dee Doo Revue instead of braving the crowds. At least one time MK was not letting anyone in and Epcot was at the next highest level.

If you really want to see the fireworks, you may want to try and get a late dinner reservation at OHana's and watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly. Get close to a speaker as the music is very low but the fireworks are beautiful from there. Very romantic also.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

The fireworks are typically held at each park (excluding Animal Kingdom of course). There are special holiday editions added to Magic Kingdom's Wishes and Epcot's Illuminations. They run throughout the holiday season and are not specific to New Years Eve.

The parks, especially Epcot, have special shows and activities all throughout the day leading up to midnight.

Plan to be inside your park of choice no later than noon, and plan to stay ALL day. The parks will likely fill to capacity by afternoon, so park hopping is out. Here's a tip: Epcot handles the crowds the best. Many people overlook Hollywood Studios too, so you might find less crowds over there.
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

chodnett is offline A-Ticket holder

I guess m question is if they do this every year:

I can't post links, but go to YouTube and type in "
    New Year's Countdown 2008 in Disney World at Magic Kingdom"

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yes, they do this every year at midnight. Now that I think about it, the New Years fireworks might be different from the Holiday Wishes show.

Quote Originally Posted by chodnett View Post
    I guess m question is if they do this every year:

I can't post links, but go to YouTube and type in "
    New Year's Countdown 2008 in Disney World at Magic Kingdom"
    Last edited by eyeinthesky; 07-10-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

lollerstace is offline A-Ticket holder

last year (2008) mk had their wishes fireworks (it may have been holiday wishes i don't remember) earlier in the evening, and then at 11:50ish or so they had their nye fireworks, i forget the name. they also did these on the 30th, to help out the crowds the following day. personally if i was going, i'd check that they're doing that again at mk, and go to mk the 30th and epcot the 31st. just my suggestion. and what they said above definitely is true, even before noon i think it was around 10-something this year when they hit capacity, and its usually not til 3 or so that they possibly have room open up. just go relaxed and focused on having a good time.
    a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

morwen is offline B-Ticket Holder

Also, if you go to MK on the 30th for fireworks, as far as I can remember it the same show inckuding a count down, then you could go to the Boardwalk for New Year's Eve. This is what my sister and I did last year. There was a dj and dancing and they were handing out hats andl ittle sound makers. It was alot of fun.
    Melli

Disney vists
    May 1997 - off site
    May 2007 - Pop Century
    Dec/Jan 2008/09 - New Year's Eve at POFQ

future
    Jan-May 2010 College Program
    Oct 2010 - Polynesian