Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss So how bad have the tour groups been lately? in the Ask The Experts forums; We just returned from a visit and there were tons of latin american tour groups, way too many to count, most with 40-80 teenagers in them, a few with more. ...
    DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: So how bad have the tour groups been lately?

We just returned from a visit and there were tons of latin american tour groups, way too many to count, most with 40-80 teenagers in them, a few with more. They DID act like teenagers (loud chanting, generally self-absorbed behavior) and they DID overwhelm lines occasionally, but we had no major problems beyond the occasional flock of them moving from one place to another and affecting general park traffic. We did not have any problems with them pushing or standing in front of us. I do agree, there are major cultural differences in how folks from different countries deal with lines, and it IS important to remember that these are teenagers. In the end, I was fearful of problems with the groups that never really materialized.

Interestingly, while buying souvenirs I got a peek at a cast member's desk, and one had a pamphlet in "Tips for assisting Latin American tour groups", so my assumption is that these groups are a large population in the park this time of year.

disneyhomevideo

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I too find the tour groups annoying, particularly the noise they make in queues - it seems they just can't be quiet.

To be honest rudeness from any nationality annoys me. I don't like it when about eight people have to elbow past to join their friend at the front of the queue. Fair enough if you have a fussing child to deal with or someone in your party needs the toilet but otherwise just queue up like everyone else!

A friend of ours works in a Magic Kingdom restaurant and she says the tour groups just come in and take over without reservations and pretend not to understand when anybody tells them no. Strangely, on one of these occasions, when their unruly kids were beating up on a character and some servers commented they were like animals, their Mum's suddenly understood English and took issue with it....

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

Its like that everywhere, they pretend to not no English but they do. It wasn't in Disney but my dad and I were a ferris wheel and these 2 girls(teens) (looked South American) were breaking all these rules on the Ferris wheel and I could hear them say in Spanish that they would just pretend to not understand English to get away with it. It drives me crazy that these people think they can get away with it.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

If you will start talking about Brazilian soccer players, in English, you can strike up a conversation with them fairly quickly. You may laugh but it's true. My son and I are huge soccer fans. We mentioned a few soccer players and some of the Brazilian visitors joined our conversation, in broken English but enough to communicate.

I have not really experienced a great amount of trouble out of any foreign visitors other than teens in groups but I have had problems with American teens as well. My 18 year old son really enjoys the Brazilian girls! He says he is going to learn Portugese before the next trip!
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Nadalie is offline A-Ticket holder

I've seen some pretty bad stuff involving Brazilian tour groups - I was at WDW last July and two teenage boys, both over 6ft tall, jumped on Goofy and nearly pulled him to the ground - then when the minder tried to signal to them that it was not okay they just acted like they couldn't understand. The poor guy being Goofy seemed so shocked that they just came from nowhere.

We always call them 'moving queues' and I've experienced them pushing in front of me and my family in lines to pay in stores, it's just basic politeness not to.

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

My parents went in early - mid january of 2009 and had a problem with Brazilian tour groups. Apparently, they were rude, loud, obnoxius and my mom complained that one guy almost stole her purse. It was so bad, that my father complained to the front desk and was switched from all-star movies to coranado springs.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

It's not even funny how bad these crows are. They mass Fast Pass which drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! You could have one person in front of you but 2 mintues later when you get up, the return time moves 2 hours, why? because that 1 person grapped 100 some off fast passes.

However the funniest thing happened to me. We were at Big Thunder Mountain and this one Argentineinana Group all had fast passes and tried to cut right through the line outside the fast pass gate (this CM was a little slow checking them). Well anyway my sister and I and this family had to shove them over but luckily we got in before them, sadly the rest of the line fell behund them. Anyway we walk and by the time the fastpass line stops we see some of the group (bout 6 girls) got through in front off us, leaving the rest behind us. So the girls behind us tried to cut. First me and the mother of the other family said no, but then they played the no english game. Well it happened that the mother of the other family spoke spanish and told those girls right off in spanish. They knew they couldnt mess with her and left us alone after that.

Also if your in or getting near a line, and you see the group sing or hold hands, there probaly about to cut or something so make your move.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

Machiabelly is offline A-Ticket holder

Just got back from WDW there were a ton of the Brazillian tours, I didn't find them any more or less problematic than an equivalent group of American or Canadian teenagers.

I never noticed much line cutting, but my wife was in line more and she said she found them very close and eager to move up, but not so much out right cutting.

HeatherR is offline B-Ticket Holder

We were there last week July18-25, noticed lots of tour groups! They can get on your nerves real fast! My husband and I, our two kids 9 and 6 and my mother were waiting to load the train in Toon Town. Finally we were able to get on and had found a section were we could all sit together, I got on with the kids next thing I new about five girls from one of those tours groups pratically trampled my husband and mother trying to beat them to the seats!! I couldn't believe it! Plus they can clog up lines real fast.
    Heather

"Dreams Really Do Come True"

Coby'smama is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by lizardlynn92 View Post
    My parents went in early - mid january of 2009 and had a problem with Brazilian tour groups. Apparently, they were rude, loud, obnoxius and my mom complained that one guy almost stole her purse. It was so bad, that my father complained to the front desk and was switched from all-star movies to coranado springs.
    Don't tell me these groups are in WDW in other seasons besides summer. We've been there twice in July and I've had enough of their rude ways. We're going in September, won't the teen groups be back in school then?

1976 College Spring Break! With best friend!
    1977 Honeymooned at the Polynesian
    1978 stayed off site - Main Gate Howard Johnsons
    1986 Stayed lagoon view Polynesian - 2 kids!
    1988 Hubby and me at Disney Inn (now Shades of Green)
    1990-Off site cheapy hotel! With 2 kids!
    1996 with friends at their time share-now with 3 kids
    2000 took 7 year old on a surprise destination trip-Dolphin Resort
    2000 - My son & daugher-in-law honeymoon at the Polynesian
    2001 - My daughter Sr. Class trip stayed at AllStar Music
    2007 - 30 year anniversary trip with the whole family - 2 adult kids, 15 yr. old and daughter-in-law - Boardwalk Inn
    September 2009!!! Beach Club - me, hubby and best buds - no kids this time around. How exciting!

NicW is offline A-Ticket holder

So, has Disney done anything about these problems?
    I'm a little scared about my Honeymoon in May2010... I'd hate for anything like this rudeness to ruin our trip.

love2beeamom is offline A-Ticket holder

We visit Disney every two years usually in July. After last summers visit I will never go in July again, which is usually when we take our vacation. These groups take over the parks. They are rude, loud and totally disrespectful to the American people. The thing with these groups is they go everywhere together, if the tour guide(the one with the flag) goes somewhere they all go. I needed to take my daughter into the bathroom(she was 5) and had to wait over 30 minutes while they all went and despite her obvious body language that she needed to go badly(all you parents know exactly what dance she was doing) none of them would let her go infront of them. One evening going back to the resorts some American families had gotten on a bus, there wasn't enough room for the entire obnoxious group still screaming and chanting despite the late hour and sleeping kids on the bus, the Disney staff made the American families already on the bus get off the bus so the entire group could get on!! We were pushed, shoved one evening leaving the park, two of them actually pushed my daughter to the ground and tossed another girl to the side to run out of the park. They leave eating areas a mess and never pick up after themselves. It is very true about waiting in lines the flag person waits and they all come flying out of the wood work, I had waited in line a significant amount of time with my daughter and when this happened just as we were about to walk thru the gate, I went balistic and gave the flag person and then the next CM a piece of my mind. I noticed in a resteraunt one morning a CM didnt have his name tag on, I asked him why. He told me he was from Brazil and requests permission not to wear it during the month of July because of the negative opinion of the tour groups. These kids seem to make trying to attack the characters a sport, I have seen more than one character getting chased down main st by a group. They do try to take over at the parades when youve been sitting for hours for that front row seat for the little ones in your family. My husband and I stand our ground and do not let them get in front of them, I have thrown more than one elbow to make my point. I was in a store during a rain storm, an American woman was buying a raincoat, and a Brazilizn teen justg grabbed it out of her hand laughed and ran to the other end of the store to pay for it. Our July 2008 trip was so impacted negatively by our 5 year daughter she calls them the shirts. We were coming home this summer from vacation we had a layover in Miami, there were a group running through the airport(we heard them before we saw them) she said no not shirts not this year!! The thing is they are a money maker for Disney, unfortuantley they dont do anything about their obnoxious behavior, every senerio I have read in this post I have witnessed over the past 10 years(we are on the 2 year plan) especially the fast pass scenerio. We are still complaining,they are still going and Disney still doesnt do anything about it.... Its too bad, I am hoping they are done the second week in August that is when we will go next year. Good luck to all those that encounter them.

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have gone to WDW twice in the summer; once in June and once in July. The tour groups were not too prevalent in June, but in July they were everywhere and OBNOXIOUS.

I have traveled out of this country and every time I have been advised on customs and behaviors of the people of the country to which I am traveling. Its just common courtesy.

It is true that Disney will NEVER exclude these groups. Lets just hope that the CMs they have doing the "briefing" will start to improve the rudeness.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I wish something could be done about this. Why don't they ban groups who keep behaving this way even after warnings?

talfonso is offline A-Ticket holder

Meh - those BTGs weren't too bad when I visited WDW during Columbus Day Weekend - I went there for two days (Epcot and DHS, with the former for the Epcot Int'l Food and Wine Festival) and saw one measly BTG during those times on each day. I thought it's too early for that!

If you want to read intently on vital information, plus my two cents on them and Argentinean ones (the BTG's and that both are collectively known as turismos, named for many groups including the word in the name), read my Hub on them - you'll need my insights and tips for next month (when they appear)!

Turismos: Tour Groups of Central Florida
    Flexible Disney -
    The Blog for Walt Disney World-Crazed Disneyphiles

http://flexibledisney.com

To Date: 1991
    (PO?); 1994 (DL/PORS);1995, 1996 (x2), 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003 (x2) 2005
    (x2), 2006 (x2), 2007 (x2) 2008-2009 (x7) - all offsite

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast