Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss So how bad have the tour groups been lately? in the Ask The Experts forums; My biggest problem last time we went to WDW were all the massive tour groups. It seemed like every time we would get in line, a Brazilian tour group would ...
    SteamboatWillie is offline B-Ticket Holder

So how bad have the tour groups been lately?

My biggest problem last time we went to WDW were all the massive tour groups. It seemed like every time we would get in line, a Brazilian tour group would pile in the fast pass lane and we would have 100 more people before us (not trying to be racist or anything but they were ALWAYS Brazilian).

We are going again in August, should I expect them all there again? I'm not overreacting either, it was ridiculous how many people were in these groups, clogging up rides and sidewalks, and most of the time acting cocky and annoying (most were teens) to everyone around them.

Steamboat Willie

dag0620 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Connecticut - Far from Disney - Close to Magic Meets

Re: So how bad have the tour groups been lately?

Ive been during Auguest every time never had this problem.
    -Dave

Summer 04' Beach Club and SOG - Summer 05' SOG and Port Orleans: French Quarter - Summer 06' Boardwalk -
    Summer 09' SOG

DisneyLand Vacations
    Summer 08' Off Property

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I had a problem with people like that. I was waiting on Main Street for a parade and suddenly a group of them came and sat in front everyone who was already on the curb. They were in the street blocking the people who had waited for more than an hour. People tried to tell them to move but they just laughed. Luckily a wonderful castmember made them all leave just before the parade started. I remember one of them was carrying a funny flag. They were not very nice.

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

I certainly don't begrudge them for wanting to have a good time, but isn't it funny how the always manage to push everyone else out of the way for things, how they suddenly take over a ride or a restaurant, and how you know you listened to them have a conversation in english not 2 minutes ago, but when you say a simple english phrase to them "excuse me" or "please don't touch the guide dog" they have no idea what you mean.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I've ntoiced all as well. One person waits in line, then right before entrance to an attraction, a flag goes up and 100 more people crawl out of the woodwork and push their way in fron of you. If you are lucky, a CM will show up and correct the problem.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

BTW, in answer to your question. We were at the World 9 to 19 June and did not have a problem with tour groups.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

They actually talked about this on a recent DisUnplugged podcast. They were talking about how bad the Brazillian tour groups had once been, but now Disney has a CM that speaks with them beforehand about American customs and traditions, which has calmed them down a bit. The only time I really noticed their presence (other than watching them parade around the parks behind a flag) was at a showing of Fantasmic last summer where they had a chanting session going on, but they were not really out of line and they were respectful during the show. I've been to WDW 3 times since then and have not even seen a tour group.
    ~Ashleigh

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

I just find it funny that some of the comments posted here about the tour groups are the same things I've heard people say about that "tour group" with yellow lanyards that would migrate to WDW in December each year. These comments I heard were from Cast Members.

With numbers come influence whether you realize you are exerting your influence or not. Trust me, when a large group of people move somewhere people get out of the way and (at least in my experience) you feel like you were pushed out of the way by the group.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    Trust me, when a large group of people move somewhere people get out of the way and (at least in my experience) you feel like you were pushed out of the way by the group.
    Are you saying the described encounters were imagined by the posters?
    I myself, have had similar experiences with these groups and their pushy rudeness coupled with their instantaneous inability to speak English. It's funny how their inability to speak English only surfaced when it benefitted them.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Those groups can be rude! They tried to block the parade from people who had spots before them!!!

I certainly agree that any large group has their own..aura.. of behavior, but I think most people would agree that the foreign tour groups tend to take on a life of their own. It's not that they're being loud and enjoying themselves as I'm sure any large group of friends would, it's the complete lack of any sort of manners. The large groups of cheerleaders/dancers/etc can be annoying too, but at least when you ask them to move, they don't pull the "no english" gambit.

As for when they try to push through in lines, or any group that pulls the whole one person waits and beckons the rest of the group once their at the front, I say block them. Not push their butts out of the line, but just take up a lot of space. With the foreign tour groups, I've gone as far as to pretend not to speak english, a dose of their own medicine so to speak. The only people I'll let through a line is a parent with a small child because of the whole little bladder issue. I'm boggled why people think they have the right to do some of these things, whether it be cutting through the lines, parking themselves in front of people at parades and shows.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

I think the behavior in regards to lines is a combination of cultural norms (not ours but theirs) and the fact they are teenagers (doesn't matter what culture you are from, it seems like teenagers always push the boundaries).

The whole failure to recognize lines thing is not just a problem with South American visitors. I know it's a cultural thing in Asian countries. I've been traveling at various ports of call and they'll hover around the boarding area while others line up and then they'll just move in one giant group to push their way to the front of the line. I saw the same behavior when I lived in the Republic of Singapore.

I cannot remember where I read it, but it was a web forum hosted in another country where they were making fun of Americans and their concept of a organized line. Their attitude was that as long as you were between the ropes you were in the line and could maneuver any way you wanted to the front. It's all perspective, I guess.

I am surprised that the Brazilians travel so much up here at this time. It must be their winter break. When I lived in Aspen, the Brazilian tour groups were a huge money maker for the town because they came up on their summer break for school. The same things being talked about in this thread was complained about there too more specifically in regards to ski lift lines.

Us snowboarders liked it when they were there because it was the only reprieve we had of all the skiers complaining about us.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm so glad this topic came up because it drive me crazy! I agree, the Brazilian tour groups tend to be rude and most of all pushy. My wife NEVER complains and is one of the most tolerant people I know. Last summer while we were in line for Pirates, a tour group of about 20 or so were squeezing past us in the line. They used their elbows to get in front of us. Then they started chanting, singing, and clapping in the queue which totally ruined the storyline to the attraction. But the final straw was one teenage girl who kept stepping on the back of my wife's heel and bumping into us every time the line stopped. Finally my wife turned around and said something, but they didn't understand what she was saying.

That wasn't the worst. Once on the boat we sat in the back with the group. They kept taking flash photos and talked across the rows to each other.

Another time we were on the Great Move Ride and since they didn't speak English, they didn't understand what was going on. So they decided to all talk and ruin the show.

So many people I know come back from WDW complaining about these tour groups. I think it's terrible that Disney allows this. I'm glad to hear that they are trying to speak to them about their behavior.

The cheerleaders and dance groups all seem to be fine, in fact they're no problem at all. Perhaps it's a cultural thing in Brazil--personal space and being quiet during a show are not things they value. But when in Rome...
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

It puzzles me how it's OK to perpetuate the "ugly American" stereotype but when foreigners are called out for their bad behavior here we're told we should be tolerant. For example, Asians not standing in line: it's just a cultural thing. Are Americans abroad given the benefit of doubt when they misbehave?

You have a point about the American stereotype, and that's probably the majority of people who travel outside the country...but just because Americans do the same thing when we're in different countries doesn't make it right. I just don't think it's acceptable to travel outside your country and be ignorant of whats happening around you. Doesn't it make sense that if you were in another country and saw a large group of natives behaving a certain way, you'd try to follow the example? I wouldn't go to Brazil (or anywhere else for that matter) and try to organize a line for something just the same way they shouldn't come here and try to push their way through the lines. I just can't believe they have no idea what's expected of them when they're here. A lot of them can speak English, and it's hard to learn a language without learning some of the culture along with it. I don't think it's right to make an excuse of "oh well they just don't know better" because they probably do, and when I hear someone speak my language, then try to feign ignorance or stupidity for their benefit, there's no excuse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast