Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Need Help! Had to reschedule our trip in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi Everyone. We had to change the dates of our trip due to me losing my job in June. We are still planning on going, but we just can't swing ...
    GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

Need Help! Had to reschedule our trip

Hi Everyone.

We had to change the dates of our trip due to me losing my job in June. We are still planning on going, but we just can't swing it now so close to November coming. We were thinking of moving it to February 5th through the 12th. But we don't want to be freezing and wear coats, Does anyone know if this is a good time to go? How's the weather is it really cold? How about crowds? Are the prices any different going in Feb vs. November. I would like to know the pros and cons on Feb.
    (We picked that week, because we read that after Presidents week, the crowds are much bigger due to school vacations and such)

Thanks for all your help.
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Need Help! Had to reschedule our trip

About the only downside weather-wise to going in February is that it will probably be on the chilly side for swimming. I've heard that some or all of the resort pools are heated, so that may be doable, but a lot depends on you and what you can tolerate.

Some general stats are that the average high is around 72 and the average low is around 49. A jacket or maybe a sweatshirt at night is a good idea, but I don't think you'll find yourself "freezing" at any point. Personally, given the choice between carrying a sweatshirt around all day and being chilly at night, or suffering through the heat and humidity of the day during the summer, I'll take February in a heartbeat.

In my experience, crowd levels are generally low to moderate that time of year, but there are individual weeks or weekends that tend to be crowded. I've never been able to figure out the exact pattern, but I suspect that it has to do with school schedules around the country. Some of the schools in FL have their "spring break" in Februrary, and that will contribute to high crowd levels. You an probably expect a surge in crowd levels around the President's Day holiday weekend.

A good unscientific way to get a guesstimate of crowd levels is to check out the park operating hours for MK. During the winter, if MK is open past 9PM, it usually means they're expecting more people. It's kind of weird, I've seen times when the calendar showing MK hours listed closing as 8PM for several weeks in a row, with one midnight or 1AM closing on a random day in the middle of the week. It seems obvious that Disney knows something.

Tony

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...

We went February 20-26th, 2008. That was the second half of President's day week and the crowds weren't too bad. I think most of Massachusetts was there in the early part of the week due to school breaks (lots of Red Sox and Patriots fans). The second half of this week, the crowds thinned out a lot more. Since you're going before the holiday, I would expect the crowds to be quite manageable.

The weather was very pleasant. My engine usually runs on the hotter side, but I didn't sweat too much while we were there. I believe the temps. were in the mid to upper 70's that week. We went swimming a few evenings and didn't get too cold. Being heated, the water was great, but you'll probably need to towel off quickly to avoid chills.

According to Mousesavers.com, the prices before President's Day are still considered Value, but they do go up during and after that. As an example, here's the prices for the All-Star resorts and Pop Century (though the Value season determination should be the same for all resorts):

Value Jan 18 - Feb 11
    Weekday $82.00
    Weekend $97.00

President's Day Feb 12-14
    Weekday $145.00
    Weekend $160.00

So, it looks like you'd be in Value season for the 5th-11th. If you're leaving on the 12th, then it looks like you'll avoid the price hike on the 12th. You'll probably want to double-check with Disney or a travel agent to be sure you're getting the best deal. I've been working with MouseFanTravel for our upcoming December trip and they've been very good to work with. They aren't any extra charges for booking through them (they get their commission from Disney) so it doesn't hurt to have them helping you plan for the trip.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!!!

Ken
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

Hey thanks Ken and Tony - Those were very helpful posts.
    I wasn't really expecting 80's and 90's just enough to feel like we are on vacation somewhere and maybe feel warm 70's. Since it will probably be 20 degrees up here in NH

I guess no one can really ever predict the weather. Last year we went in early November and it was quite warm during the days but I had to by a GRUMPY sweatshirt for the evenings which got quite cold. As a matter of fact the last day we were there we woke up to it being in the 30's. Guess FL was having a bit of a cold spell.
    But a friend mentioned when they went last year the 1st week of January, everyone was wearing scarfs, hats and mittens with winter coats. It just wouldn't feel like Disney to me walking down Main Street like that.

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...

You're quite welcome! I agree about he scarves, mittens, and coats. It's just not normal... I won't wear a coat or pants in FL just on principle.

I think the averages for February are like mid-50's for the lows and around 73-74 for the highs. Definitely better than up north. We live in Cincinnati- cold, but not as cold as NH. On our trip last Feb., we left in a snow storm and returned in a snow storm. Talk about a rude awakening when we got back.
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

hbk1313 is offline A-Ticket holder

We were in WDW this past Feb 1-8th the weather was a real mixed bag. A few pleasant days, low-to-mid seventies, (2) days of non-stop rain, and several days where we decided it was too cold (40s and windy) to take our 1 year-old to the park.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Hey there, we're from northeast Ohio and have taken a few January/February trips. I've ruled them out from now on. The cold in Florida is not what I go for, I can get that for free in Ohio, we go down to escape it. We also like enjoying the pool while there, though the pools are heated, not hot enough for me and the getting out part and having your suit touch, just sends shivers as I type this. Disney trips are not cheap and when I spend that kind of money, I want to be able to swim, lay out and have a few drinks, we want to wear shorts and tank tops and generally be comfortable. I'd personally rather sweat than shiver any day. We've done 43 trips so far and the best times are in the fall. We just returned, 9/19-9/29 and the weather was what we wanted, hot, humid, 15 minutes of rain one day, and no hurricanes. With all the promotions going on, crowd levels are very unpredictable. Our weekdays were ideal until around 1-2 pm, then the parks got packed, weekends are the worst, make rope drop and around 11am, its packed the rest of the day. I'd stay away from holiday weekends and we're value season people but you being teachers the windows for nice weather and low crowds at a value rate are very narrow to non-existent, choose wisely, but we'll never go to WDW and wear a sweatshirt or coat no matter what the crowd levels are, we want the heat. As I said, there's 2 things I like, you don't have to shovel sunshine and I'd rather sweat than shiver.

Okay, so when would be the ideal week if we decided to go between Mar - May?

We always go in Nov. so we thought it would be nice to go a different time of the year, to see different things other then Halloween decorations or Christmas trees. I just want to avoid the real bad heat and humidity of May thru Aug.

We are not teachers so we can go anytime, and we just have a 3yr old with us. I would just like to avoid the real heavy times, like spring break vacations and cheerleader competitions. LOL

When we went last year in Nov we hit everything just right, it was the best time ever, all rides were 5min or no wait. and all the restaurants you could just walk right in, with no reservations.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Were of the "if it's working, don't mess with it" type. Fall has been great for us, early the better for the hot weather. If you're tired of the fall holiday decorations, I'd look into June. We used to do June, second week back in the late 70's and early 80's, but that was only 2 resorts to pick from, one park and no resort seasons. We've done 43 trips, all deluxe and have never paid rack rate, we have AP's now and like to get two uses out of them, so that means 2 trips a year, and we like to split them up fairly far apart. I won't go during the summer or late winter, we like the Florida sun and enjoy the resort and pool so we're looking into June and September ourselves. We have no use for dining plans and only book room only for the better discount, we only go during value seasons and stay far away from holidays and breaks to stay with the mild crowds. This past trip, 9/19-9/27 was ideal, value season, no holidays and crowds were non-existent. We went in January too but it was cold, never again, crowds were very small but weather wise, not what I pay for going to WDW. I'm going to have to scour the Disney info myself and find the best time for a June trip that fits our criteria too. With all the trips we've done, parks have become a second choice to us, we enjoy the pool and resort more and with AP's, pop into a park and pop out, check out other resort lounges and generally just relax and enjoy the Disney ambiance. Good luck with you choice, I'll post more after I peruse the info and plan our spring trip.

Well the truth is, we really love the fall, but we couldn't swing it this year because of layoffs at my job, so we decided to squeeze it in earlier next year, instead of wait till November 2010. But it looks like we might, save up more and stay at a better place next November.

The reason I wrote that other stuff about the Halloween decorations and stuff is because I read on another thread here, that someone said if you go the same time every year you are doing your self an injustice, because there is so much more to see other times of the year too. However I like your advice, about going when you like it, that's what vacations are all about anyway.

Thanks