Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Soarin Ride in the Ask The Experts forums; I was wondering if any of you that have been on Soarin can give me more information on this ride? I am not big on heights but I really want ...
    PoohBear is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Soarin Ride

I was wondering if any of you that have been on Soarin can give me more information on this ride? I am not big on heights but I really want to ride Soarin. I would like to know anything that you have to offer about this ride. What type of car are you strapped into and also can you feel any major movement? I have seen the video and that doesn't bother me but not knowing how I will be strapped in does. Anything that you can tell me will help me to make the decision on whether or not I am going to ride Soarin or continue to be a big chicken.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Shelly

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 19, 2005 8:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkgreen>Vacation at Saratoga Springs</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Sharing the magic!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up Soarin'

Hello Shelly,

I was just down at WDW last month and went on the Soarin' Preview. I can assure you that you will like the ride. You sit in a seat, that looks like a big hangglider. There are around 8 seats per car and you are strapped in by a lap belt. When the ride begins, you are lifted up in front of the big screen. Do not worry, because it is dark and you cannot see how high you are.....trust me...I am not a big fan of heights either. THe experience of flying is incredible. If you feel like you don't like the heights, you can always close your eyes. That seems to work for me.

I can promis you, you will enjoy this ride. It is worth the wait! I hope you decided to ride it and let me know what you think.

-Scott
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

Hi Scott,
    Thank you for your reply. Everything that I read makes me want to go on it. I guess I will see how I feel about it when we get down to Disney. I am glad that you had such a good time on it. I will let you know when we get back if I rode or not.
    Thank you again for your reply.
    Shelly

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 19, 2005 8:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkgreen>Vacation at Saratoga Springs</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Sharing the magic!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    to the boards, poohbear!

If heights are the problem, ask to be seated in the lowest row. There are three rows of seats, and the first row gets lifted the highest.

There is a lap belt, and there is a loop between your legs you can thread the belt through if you're short/small for more security.

There are photos of the ride and the seats here: http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/e_soar2.htm

Hope this helps! It's an awesome ride (got to try it at DCA, and can't wait to go again in Epcot!)
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Thank you so much for all the information. I checked out the site and I think that I am really going to try it out. I guess if I don't like it then I will never go on it again but from what I am reading from everyone including those afraid of heights I am going to love it. Thank you again for your help and the link to the pictures.
    Shelly

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    The big point have been hit on this one. It is a very gentle ride. You will have a sensation of doing much more than you really are due to the large screen.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    How high do you actually go - from floor level? Have read conflicting reports and are not sure what the truth is!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha36 View Post
    How high do you actually go - from floor level? Have read conflicting reports and are not sure what the truth is!!
    I dont know exact measurements but before the ride starts the front row goes the highest, the second row below them and then the thrid below them, so on & so forth. I know that probably didnt help but I gave it a shot
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

bottom row 20-30 ft
    middle row 30-40 ft
    top row 40-50

The height varies because of your movement of course.

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    when you get on the ride, you don't even remember that you are off the ground, everything is slow and smooth. You are so busy memorized at the scenes and scents in front of you that you don't notice that you are stationed there. Also, at the end of the ride, there are fireworks on the screen and then you glide back to starting position. It's all done so smoothly that you don't realize until a cast member tells you to get up and collect your belongings b/c the ride is over. haha, it is my family's favorite ride at EPCOT. Everyone should def go. It would be a shame if you didn't.
    The Goofy Princess

I would love to ride it, but Andy has a fear of heights! He may be ok on the bottom row though. Is it ok to ask for a specific row?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Yes you can ask for a specific row. Just tell the CMs by loading and they will accommodate you.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    My personal favorite is the front row, section B

The hear of heights mainly come from the video. You will feel like you are many 1000 ft off the ground.

Many Ask for "B1". This is not the best seat. That row has the most restricted view of any row. You are also furthest from the screen.

B2 is the best for sound.

A3 or C3 are closest to the screen

A2 or C2 (either concourse side) closest to the B seats give you the most screen view and great sound.

That sounds complicated but will try to remember it! Has anyone been on it who is afraid of heights? How did you get on?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs