Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Advice for Mini 3 day vacation in the Ask The Experts forums; I have been to WDW many times but for vacations lasting a week or more. My DH and I are going only for three days in December and I am ...
    WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

Advice for Mini 3 day vacation

I have been to WDW many times but for vacations lasting a week or more. My DH and I are going only for three days in December and I am not sure what to do about tickets. Here is what we are doing and maybe someone can tell me if I should buy tickets ahead of time (I think CAA/AAA has 1 & 2 day tickets) The WDW website only does 3 or more days.

Arrive December 11 - checking into CSR, shop a little at Downtown Disney, attending December meet of the month, then Ohana for dinner. no park today
    December 12 - DH going to the PRI show and I am wandering around one of the parks for the day. Is there a one day hopper at the gate? After DH gets out of the show we are travelling around the area, maybe do some resort hopping.
    December 13 - We have a little time to go to a park together before getting to the airport.

Should I get a 2 day? and DH just get a one day at the gate on Sunday?
    Is it worth DH getting a 2 day so we could go to the park maybe on the 12th evening if there is no MVMCP?

Any ideas would be apprciated!!
    Thanks

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Advice for Mini 3 day vacation

I'm no expert, but since you are going for such a short time, I wouldn't try to crame too much in. Do you think you would get your money's worth if you buy the park tickets? There is no much to do around DTD and the resorts that you may not even need to go into the parks. Do you golf? or how about a spa trip while your DH is at PRI? Or buy a 1 day ticket and spend it in the park. Then spend the evening with your DH out of the park. I wouldn't get the park hopper, because you may not even use it unless you are really planning on it hitting up certain spots in different parks. How does DH feel about going to the parks before going to the airport? If he really wants to get in to the park, then you can buy tickets for that day too. If you plane leaves early, there might not be much of a point. These little trips are tough, but if you are planning a longer trip in the next year, maybe wait and do more stuff then.

The last trip I went on was a short trip for four days, We spent the first day at DTD, spent one whole day in MK, then next whole day at HS, and left the next day. It's really hard to decide what you want to do and what can wait. I haven't been to WDW in five years at that point and going with someone who had never been, and you can imagine the difficulty.
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My son and I went down in August when he was entering the College Program. We were in the hotel by noon, headed out to the parks, hit two that day, AK & MK, MK was a extra hour night. We hit every E ticket, even though my DS was working on about an hour of sleep the night before. (he laid down on the bed when we got back to the FC and was immediately asleep).

Day two we started pretty early and hit the Studio first, caught the main biggies we wanted to see. On to Epcot. We rode everything and did the Showcase too, but we started to drag in the heat in the Showcase.

The next morning I had him to his induction for the Program and I was back alone at the hotel by 2pm and was going to just shop, I went to the desk in the lobby and added a 3rd day to my hopper. I rode Soar'n and Test Track and then played around in the World Showcase. Ate at Germany. I then boated to MGM and hit a few smaller things at MGM, boated back to Epcot and caught Illuminations. Tired when I hit the hotel, but it kept my mind off not seeing the kid for several months.

So you can either do a leisurely few days or commando like I did for a few days.

The one thing I would check is if you are entitled to discounted tickets for the show your husband is attending. He might even be able to get late admission ticket at a discount for that one night.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

One other option, which will be more up front, but less in the long run is if you are planning on returning for a longer vacation within 12 months, then consider the no expiration option on a longer multi-day pass.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I just came back from a short stay and we went the leisurely route. We did 2 days in the parks (no hopping) and we really enjoyed taking our time and seeing things we hadn't seen before. The hopper is a considerable expense so why not just go to the 1 or 2 parks of your choice and really enjoy them. Get Lou's trivia book and go look for things you had never seen, it really puts a different spin on things. You probably are better off getting your tickets ahead of time because you will probably get a slight discount from CAA/AAA. If you have to get to the airport on the 13th not sure if it would be worth it to go to the parks on that day, I guess it would depend on what time you would have to leave, I think the tickets are up to around $85.00 a day, so I guess the question is would you have time to get your $170.00 worth. If your DH wants to go to the parks is it possible for him to meet you at one of the parks after his show and then do the resort hopping on December 13th?? BTW what is a PRI show?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

goofypal is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    One other option, which will be more up front, but less in the long run is if you are planning on returning for a longer vacation within 12 months, then consider the no expiration option on a longer multi-day pass.
    I agree with NC_WDW_Daddy. If you plan on going again in the future, buy a 10 day non-expiring park hopper. However, you don't have to use the non-expiring tickets within 12 months. I have been using some for 3 years. If you subscribe to the mousesavers.com newsletter, it has a link to special prices from undercovertourist.com. Even if you don't get the newsletter, undercovertourist still has about the best prices around - because their listed price includes tax and free regular shipping.
    Paul and Lisa Goofyhouk
    Cabin 7690
    Lou's Cruise 2.0

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny;?? BTW what is a PRI show?[IMG
    http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/5.gif[/IMG]
    Performanc Racing Industry It is supposed to be THE show for any kind of racing nut. My DH is a mechanic and was able to get credentials. Not my cup of tea, so I am going to spend the day wandering around a park.

I like all the ideas of the no expiry date passes! I am pretty sure we are going to come back next year with the kids so that is something to think about.

I have Lou's Audio Guides on my ipod, I was thinking of wandering around MK while listening to them, and searching for Hidden Mickeys with my books by Steve Barrett.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

goofypal is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
    I have Lou's Audio Guides on my ipod, I was thinking of wandering around MK while listening to them, and searching for Hidden Mickeys with my books by Steve Barrett.
    That sounds like a great plan. Just make sure to ride a couple of the rides while you are walking around.
    Paul and Lisa Goofyhouk
    Cabin 7690
    Lou's Cruise 2.0