Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Marathon Weekend in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi all! My family is going to WDW this January (whoo!) and all but one day in the parks will overlap with the Marathon Weekend. We knew this when we ...
    DOasDREAMERSdo is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Marathon Weekend

Hi all!

My family is going to WDW this January (whoo!) and all but one day in the parks will overlap with the Marathon Weekend. We knew this when we made our reservations, but it was the only time that worked with me starting my Disney College Program and my brother starting his job as well!

I've been trying to do some research as to what the crowd situation is/how to avoid them, but have been getting very mixed answers!
    I know it will definitely not be typical January emptiness, but I was wondering what everyone's experiences with the crowds that weekend were, and any tips you have for avoiding them as much as possible!

I do know that all the races are very early in the morning, so I thought that the mornings/late nights in the parks might not be too bad? I believe the big grand hoopla marathon is Sunday, and I think there's a children's race Friday or Saturday? But I'm not sure what the crowd situation as a result of those will be.

Thank you all for your help!!!
    Last edited by DOasDREAMERSdo; 12-07-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I shouldn't be allowed to type after spending a day studying :]
    Any wish is possible,
    all it takes is a little courage to set it free

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Marathon Weekend

We went one year during the Marathon and the parks were not that bad at all. You will have fairly long waits on the rides that usually have long waits like Soarin, Test Track, Toy Story Mania and Space Mountain but it's was all manageable, especially with fast passes. I actually remember it being more congested at the resorts, like in the parking area and restaurants. But we always went at Easter so it seemed like a breeze compared to that. I think your right though, the early morinings are your best bet Good luck with your CP
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

DOasDREAMERSdo is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Marathon Weekend

Thanks GIOny!! :]
    Any wish is possible,
    all it takes is a little courage to set it free