Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Epcot's worldshow case for teens in the Ask The Experts forums; My kids (16 and 12) didn't want to wander around the Worldshowcase in August, they said it looked 'boring' compared to Soarin, Test Track etc. I think if I can ...
    choccieaddict is offline A-Ticket holder

Epcot's worldshow case for teens

My kids (16 and 12) didn't want to wander around the Worldshowcase in August, they said it looked 'boring' compared to Soarin, Test Track etc.

I think if I can just get them into the right places they will enjoy it, but hub and I haven't walked through the Worldshowcase since 1992 so I have no idea how to lure my kids in, or what there is to see.

What countries do you think appeal most to teens, and why?

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: Epcot's worldshow case for teens

If you have a daughter she might like France! Tons of stores and little nooks and crannies filled with things that make it feel like France. If you have a son he might like Norway and the Maelstrom ride, yes it's an old ride but it is kinda fun. The movie at the end isn't that great though lol. And anyone will like Mexico! The Three caballeros ride is fun. China I think has some cool drums and story tellers, or that might be Japan, I get them mixed up. Morocco had lots of passage ways filled with Moroccan stores and little museums and things.
    Hope this helps some!! And welcome to WDWradio forums!!!
    Tiffany~šoš ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The Kim Possible activity is fun for young teens. My girls enjoyed it and it's free. It's kinda neat because the transmitter activates different things in various shop windows around Worls Showcase.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Do they like food? Tell them they get to "eat around the world" and then at every country they can pick out one snack or small meal (sharing is best). Its a lot of fun (and delicious!), and will keep them busy.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I always loved the World Showcase as a teen, and my sister who is a teen now enjoys it too. I agree with all of the posts above. Maybe lure them in with lunch? If you like Mexican I really recommend the Mexico quick-service food stand for lunch. Everyone in my family LOVED the food and its was nice to eat a meal right next to the lagoon--great atmosphere.

I have also done the Kim Possible activity which I'm betting your kids would like. It's along the lines of a scavenger hunt, but the technology Disney uses makes it a lot of fun.

Like Lilo88 mentioned, Maelstrom and the Three Caballeros rides are definitely worth a try. You could look up hidden Mickeys to keep out an eye for. Research the special things that each country offers before you go, like the candy maker in Japan, or other hidden treasures, to get your kids excited.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

You could always trick them....

Tell them that you have reservations for lunch in Italy, so then you are forced to walk by about half of the pavilions. As your going through stop by them and check out things that you think would appeal to them as you pass. Then when you leave just continue in the direction you were heading so you get to see all of them at least in passing.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

The world showcase also has the best seating for Illuminations...so you can also lure them in that way. I definitely wouldn't miss Illuminations!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

TheH2s is offline B-Ticket Holder

Other than Soarin' the WorldShowcase is the reason to go to Epcot in my eyes. I loved World Showcase as a kid and still love it as an adult. We like Japan because they have a cool Japanese store (can't remember the name) that sells Nintendo and other cool Japanese type items. Also they have to see the troll in Norway. I think they'll like that.

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

As the years go by the appeal of some of these attractions changes. I've learned from our teens that they enjoy the WS most at night and to keeping moving. Not to stop and shop unless it's their idea.

The British Invasion in England. This is one of those things that you should just happen by. If you tell them ahead at 4pm we will see a band that sounds like the Beatles they're going to cluck and moan. The might enjoy just hanging out listening. They don't have to sit through the whole show unless they're into it and then you can relax. If you're daring really embarass them and sing along.

Off Kilter in Canada. Again stroll by and see if they like it. In August we had to go back twice to hear them and DS bought a CD in the gift shop. He'd seen them many times before but for some reason this time he really enjoyed it.

Dinner at The Beirgarten is a fave most times. There's an oompah band and it's very casual. Food is buffet, table is family style. Filling even picky eaters like it. We always have other teen families sitting with us so I'm guessing we're not the only ones who have discovered this.

Ride Maelstrom for some corny fun skipping the movie but checking out the trolls and viking hats in the shop. Always a good laugh and pic.

Japan has the drums, candy lady and shopping. They have the newest anime gear in the shop (mine always look but never buy) and all sorts of interesting stuff for their rooms. Just picked up a wall hanging for DS.

China shopping for candy, watching the jugglers. Even teens can appreciate other teens juggling tables and dishes.

American Adventure concerts if the performers are ones they'd like to see. If in doubt having an American slushie and a seat outside the theater and listen to a concert for a short time. Brain freeze

Italy the juggler

Last trip we ate in Morocco and bought fezzes. Warning eating inside can be very $$ whereas outside the food is great and the price is right.
    One time in Morroco DSs played a little soccer with the CMs there.

The only country that so far hasn't been of interest to them is France

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think Epcot/World Showcase is one of the best places to go with kids!

You can go for the mini-shows that people have mentioned:
    UK-see the holy grail show, it's great
    China-acrobats are neat

You can go for the music as was also mentioned:

You can go for the food& drink! Snack all day and night!

We also do a hat photo collection- photo in a hat in every land.

How about a movie? Many pavilions have one.

Focus on the rides in Mexico and Norway?

It's a big undertaking going to World Showcase...
    maybe do half one day and finsih another day

Good Luck!!!

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Depends what their in to...There's so much to do there.

Shopping...PLENTY! And there is tons of interesting stuff for all ages to buy, disney souvenirs, room decorations, music, art from around the world, clothes, toys..and much more!

Eating... Even more!! I think the idea of zippitydoodah is a great one... Let them pick a small snack or meal from each country, and explore the different cuisines, maybe end with dinner and a view of illuminations?

Attractions... I'm not sure what your teens are interested in, but if they like World cultures or history...Or Donald Duck for that matter, they will love the world showcase attractions! (I am 14 and I can say that my favorite attraction in Epcot is The American Adventure...but maybe that's just me.)

EXPLORE!... Find hidden mickeys, characters, small spots, entertainment, secrets, and fun facts from all different countries. Get them to a pavilion and then kinda let them take over, walking around, and you can point out hidden mickeys, etc. There are so many details in the world showcase...I can't believe anyone could be bored!

Good Luck, get a loose plan, and go for it! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. Besides, Future World closes earlier than world showcase, so if you only have one day in epcot, maybe spend the morning doing Future world and the afternoon/evening in WS.

Whatever you do, explore and have fun! There's not a much more detailed, interesting place in all of WDW!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

LivLuvsTink is offline C-Ticket Holder

My brother's favorite countries are Japan, China, and Morocco. There are so many cool things in all of the different stores. Morocco has so many cool rooms and we love trying on all of the hats and belly dancer things. Japan has so many cool things in its store. Alot of the food in there is soooo delicious. The candy is amazing!! Lastly, in China, we always play with the marrionettes and the diablos at the little outside stand. There are soooooooo many things to find in the back of all of the pavillions and thats my favorite thing about World Showcase.
    I hope we never lose sight of one thing,
    that it was all started by a mouse.

Mike2006 is offline B-Ticket Holder

England has the beatles band and Canada has Off kilter i could sit and listen to them for hours

choccieaddict is offline A-Ticket holder

thanks for all your replies. It sounds like we missed out on alot last August. The words Nintendo , shop , food and fireworks should enthuse them!
    Now, where's my list...I have lots to add

iluvdisney is offline B-Ticket Holder

There is lots of shopping! and they should try talking to the people that work around the different countries. They're actually very interesting to talk to. I still keep in touch with some of them.

And of course the food!!! So many different options that they can not complain about there not being a variety.
    Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney