Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss PotC Question in the Ask The Experts forums; Okay, I heard that the PotC had one thing different when it first opened compared to now:In the one scene, Pirates chased women around. Walt thought this was politically incorect ...
    BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!

PotC Question

Okay, I heard that the PotC had one thing different when it first opened compared to now:In the one scene, Pirates chased women around. Walt thought this was politically incorect and took it out. Is this true?
    Izzy

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Let's see, chasing women around is politically incorrect, but selling them isn't? I would have to say that is false.

Yeah, I thought that was fishy. I leaning toward no, but who knows what is right!
    Izzy

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You're half right. The original show did have the Pirates chasing the women. Not too many years ago it was changed (well after Walt's death - I believe this was early 1990's) to make it more "politically correct".

Disney World's version I believe has all the pirates being chased by women in the scene. DisneyLand's version has two women being chased by pirates and one woman chasing a pirate with a broom.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Geppetto is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    You're half right. The original show did have the Pirates chasing the women. Not too many years ago it was changed (well after Walt's death - I believe this was early 1990's) to make it more "politically correct".

Disney World's version I believe has all the pirates being chased by women in the scene. DisneyLand's version has two women being chased by pirates and one woman chasing a pirate with a broom.
    Right you are! Sadly Walt went to the big theme park in the sky on 15 December 1966, almost 5 years before WDW even opened. It was a different world back then. I like the world better in 2005.
    "Good Geppetto, you have given so much happiness to others. You deserve to have your wish come true."

"Geppetto buono, lei ha dato cosí molta felicitŕ agli altri. Lei il derserve di avere il suo desiderio si č realizzato."

Thanks to DisneyDame and Gepetto!!!!! (I'm having an "Ohhhhh..." moment.)
    Izzy

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by Geppetto
    Right you are! Sadly Walt went to the big theme park in the sky on 15 December 1966, almost 5 years before WDW even opened. It was a different world back then. I like the world better in 2005.
    Not only did Walt die before WDW could be completed, but pirates of the Caribbean opened seven years to the day from Walt's death (Yes that would be December 15, 1973) As for making the Pirates of the Caribbean politicallt correct... I believe the chase actually has been modified, but I thought the way that they did it was to put trays of food in the womens hands so the the Pirates were chasing the women for the food (which is so silly it's sort of making a mockery of the idea of making it PC any way).

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards