Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Monorail in the Ask The Experts forums; I have always herad that the monrail will not be expanded because of cost? I am wondering if this has ever been confirmed officially by Disney. Has Lou or anyone ...
  1. #1
    nydvc is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Monorail

    I have always herad that the monrail will not be expanded because of cost? I am wondering if this has ever been confirmed officially by Disney. Has Lou or anyone ever really asked about monorail expansion possibilities and been told it cost prohibitive?

    Thanks for your thoughs and ideas.

  2. #2
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Monorail

    Disney won't confirm it one way or another. But it doesn't take a degree in accounting to understand that expanding the monorail is expensive - far more expensive than running buses, and far less flexible.

    There is an urban legend often cited that expanding the monorail would cost $1 million a mile. Frankly, if it only cost that they'd have done it.

    Doesn't mean it will never happen - "never say never" - but they don't really have any reason to do it.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  3. #3
    nydvc is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Re: Monorail

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Disney won't confirm it one way or another. But it doesn't take a degree in accounting to understand that expanding the monorail is expensive - far more expensive than running buses, and far less flexible.

    There is an urban legend often cited that expanding the monorail would cost $1 million a mile. Frankly, if it only cost that they'd have done it.

    Doesn't mean it will never happen - "never say never" - but they don't really have any reason to do it.

    what you say makes sence, up to an including never say never. I just stayed at Bay Lkae Tower and loved using the monorail, I just have a hard time not seeing how being able to run around the place on a monorail would be so much more fun and have "value" in cost of room. It was great just jumping on the monrail for dinner, etc.

    ofcourse thats why all the deluxes are on the line isn't it.

  4. #4
    WDW4Ever's Avatar
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: Monorail

    Are people not being allowed in the cockpit still in FL? Just curious. I hadn't heard in a while.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

  5. #5
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Monorail

    Quote Originally Posted by nydvc View Post
    ofcourse thats why all the deluxes are on the line isn't it.
    Ah, but they are NOT all on the line...the Epcot Area resorts - Yacht Club/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan and Dolphin are not on a monorail line (they are on the other side of Epcot from the monorail station), and of course Wilderness Lodge is near but not on either line, and Animal Kingdom Lodge is no where near a monorail

    They're all desirable for different reasons though.

    I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to get to each park via Monorail...

    Some other monorail vs. resort trivia...

    - Saratoga Springs has a property easement for the monorail (it's in the real estate documents for DVC owners - I've read it), although it doesn't mean it will ever happen. There were plans for a monorail over to the Disney Village (now Downtown Disney) area, but it was never built. However, all the easements still exist, "just in case".

    - A common "bus driver" myth is that the Swan and Dolphin were designed to have the monorail run through the middle of them, where the black squares in each building are, and they were designed to be "removable" if/when the Monorail was extended to include the resorts. A little logic disproves that though...
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  6. #6
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Monorail

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Are people not being allowed in the cockpit still in FL? Just curious. I hadn't heard in a while.
    Nope, and there is no telling when of if that will happen.

    I've heard third-hand reports of very insensitive remarks being made by guests in earshot of the pilots and other CMs, and that is without guests in the front.

    Even if Disney determines that the safety aspects have been dealt with, I would expect that guests wouldn't be allowed up front without an OK from the pilots themselves, and probably after the memory of the accident has faded a bit more.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  7. #7
    Disney2000's Avatar
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    445

    Re: Monorail

    I'm not sure that the monorail would really "fit in" at animal kingdom...but i'd like to see it expanded at least to the studios and the Epcot Area resorts, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the WS skyline. I don't think that the Monorails will be expanded to DTD...the same reason the buses don't run from DTD to the parks... people would park there and then ride the buses/monorails to the parks instead of paying for parking...riding a tram, etc. However, I'm still hoping they come up with a system that they can scan your room key or something and then you can take a bus from DTD to anywhere. It'd be so much easier.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

    Are you 23? I am!

  8. #8
    WDW4Ever's Avatar
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: Monorail

    I agree, I think Animal Kingdom is perfectly fine without the monorail running through it. Or even near it.

    But I'm still a firm believer that Animal Kingdom is the most underrated park and that it is still largely misunderstood.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 02-08-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

  9. #9
    nydvc is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Re: Monorail

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Ah, but they are NOT all on the line...the Epcot Area resorts - Yacht Club/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan and Dolphin are not on a monorail line (they are on the other side of Epcot from the monorail station), and of course Wilderness Lodge is near but not on either line, and Animal Kingdom Lodge is no where near a monorail

    They're all desirable for different reasons though.

    I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to get to each park via Monorail...

    Some other monorail vs. resort trivia...

    - Saratoga Springs has a property easement for the monorail (it's in the real estate documents for DVC owners - I've read it), although it doesn't mean it will ever happen. There were plans for a monorail over to the Disney Village (now Downtown Disney) area, but it was never built. However, all the easements still exist, "just in case".

    - A common "bus driver" myth is that the Swan and Dolphin were designed to have the monorail run through the middle of them, where the black squares in each building are, and they were designed to be "removable" if/when the Monorail was extended to include the resorts. A little logic disproves that though...

    good point, they have value as they are. BUT to me they would have even more with a monorail station. Or atleast something that is more attrative and enjoyable then busses. Maybe I am the minority, I just dont fine the busses as much "fun" as the monorail for getting aroudn.

    I own at SSR so that was not new, the Swan and Dolphin is interesting. It woudl be a cool way to have the track travel.

  10. #10
    anim8rguy's Avatar
    anim8rguy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    46

    Re: Monorail

    I really think that MK and Epcot are the most popular due to the fact that they are accessible by all modes of transportation, including the monorail. Don't get me wrong thought, they are all great but the fore mentioned ones always have the most visitors.

  11. #11
    Disney2000's Avatar
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    445

    Re: Monorail

    I actually think the monorail and buses are equally fun...and the buses can be better if you have a good driver! The buses are a lot less relaxing, but (under the right circumstances) can be a lot more interactive and fun.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

    Are you 23? I am!

  12. #12
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Monorail

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    I actually think the monorail and buses are equally fun...and the buses can be better if you have a good driver! The buses are a lot less relaxing, but (under the right circumstances) can be a lot more interactive and fun.
    Just don't believe all the "facts" they give...
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


Similar Threads

  1. Deadly Monorail Crash
    By Blixzit in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) News
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 11:53 PM
  2. Monorail Rumors from the CMs
    By MayBWeRMnt2B in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
  3. New monorail info from George Mc Ginnis
    By bigbrian-nc.com in forum Secrets of WDW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 11:40 AM
  4. WDW Express Monorail - Just for fun!
    By Lou Mongello in forum Secrets of WDW
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 04:05 PM
  5. Monorail Colors
    By olmec26 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •