Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Monorail in the Ask The Experts forums; I have always herad that the monrail will not be expanded because of cost? I am wondering if this has ever been confirmed officially by Disney. Has Lou or anyone ...
    nydvc is offline A-Ticket holder

Monorail

I have always herad that the monrail will not be expanded because of cost? I am wondering if this has ever been confirmed officially by Disney. Has Lou or anyone ever really asked about monorail expansion possibilities and been told it cost prohibitive?

Thanks for your thoughs and ideas.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Monorail

Disney won't confirm it one way or another. But it doesn't take a degree in accounting to understand that expanding the monorail is expensive - far more expensive than running buses, and far less flexible.

There is an urban legend often cited that expanding the monorail would cost $1 million a mile. Frankly, if it only cost that they'd have done it.

Doesn't mean it will never happen - "never say never" - but they don't really have any reason to do it.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Disney won't confirm it one way or another. But it doesn't take a degree in accounting to understand that expanding the monorail is expensive - far more expensive than running buses, and far less flexible.

There is an urban legend often cited that expanding the monorail would cost $1 million a mile. Frankly, if it only cost that they'd have done it.

Doesn't mean it will never happen - "never say never" - but they don't really have any reason to do it.

what you say makes sence, up to an including never say never. I just stayed at Bay Lkae Tower and loved using the monorail, I just have a hard time not seeing how being able to run around the place on a monorail would be so much more fun and have "value" in cost of room. It was great just jumping on the monrail for dinner, etc.

ofcourse thats why all the deluxes are on the line isn't it.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Are people not being allowed in the cockpit still in FL? Just curious. I hadn't heard in a while.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by nydvc View Post
    ofcourse thats why all the deluxes are on the line isn't it.
    Ah, but they are NOT all on the line...the Epcot Area resorts - Yacht Club/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan and Dolphin are not on a monorail line (they are on the other side of Epcot from the monorail station), and of course Wilderness Lodge is near but not on either line, and Animal Kingdom Lodge is no where near a monorail

They're all desirable for different reasons though.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to get to each park via Monorail...

Some other monorail vs. resort trivia...

- Saratoga Springs has a property easement for the monorail (it's in the real estate documents for DVC owners - I've read it), although it doesn't mean it will ever happen. There were plans for a monorail over to the Disney Village (now Downtown Disney) area, but it was never built. However, all the easements still exist, "just in case".

- A common "bus driver" myth is that the Swan and Dolphin were designed to have the monorail run through the middle of them, where the black squares in each building are, and they were designed to be "removable" if/when the Monorail was extended to include the resorts. A little logic disproves that though...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Are people not being allowed in the cockpit still in FL? Just curious. I hadn't heard in a while.
    Nope, and there is no telling when of if that will happen.

I've heard third-hand reports of very insensitive remarks being made by guests in earshot of the pilots and other CMs, and that is without guests in the front.

Even if Disney determines that the safety aspects have been dealt with, I would expect that guests wouldn't be allowed up front without an OK from the pilots themselves, and probably after the memory of the accident has faded a bit more.
    Doc

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm not sure that the monorail would really "fit in" at animal kingdom...but i'd like to see it expanded at least to the studios and the Epcot Area resorts, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the WS skyline. I don't think that the Monorails will be expanded to DTD...the same reason the buses don't run from DTD to the parks... people would park there and then ride the buses/monorails to the parks instead of paying for parking...riding a tram, etc. However, I'm still hoping they come up with a system that they can scan your room key or something and then you can take a bus from DTD to anywhere. It'd be so much easier.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I agree, I think Animal Kingdom is perfectly fine without the monorail running through it. Or even near it.

But I'm still a firm believer that Animal Kingdom is the most underrated park and that it is still largely misunderstood.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 02-08-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Ah, but they are NOT all on the line...the Epcot Area resorts - Yacht Club/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan and Dolphin are not on a monorail line (they are on the other side of Epcot from the monorail station), and of course Wilderness Lodge is near but not on either line, and Animal Kingdom Lodge is no where near a monorail

They're all desirable for different reasons though.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to get to each park via Monorail...

Some other monorail vs. resort trivia...

- Saratoga Springs has a property easement for the monorail (it's in the real estate documents for DVC owners - I've read it), although it doesn't mean it will ever happen. There were plans for a monorail over to the Disney Village (now Downtown Disney) area, but it was never built. However, all the easements still exist, "just in case".

- A common "bus driver" myth is that the Swan and Dolphin were designed to have the monorail run through the middle of them, where the black squares in each building are, and they were designed to be "removable" if/when the Monorail was extended to include the resorts. A little logic disproves that though...

good point, they have value as they are. BUT to me they would have even more with a monorail station. Or atleast something that is more attrative and enjoyable then busses. Maybe I am the minority, I just dont fine the busses as much "fun" as the monorail for getting aroudn.

I own at SSR so that was not new, the Swan and Dolphin is interesting. It woudl be a cool way to have the track travel.

anim8rguy is offline A-Ticket holder

I really think that MK and Epcot are the most popular due to the fact that they are accessible by all modes of transportation, including the monorail. Don't get me wrong thought, they are all great but the fore mentioned ones always have the most visitors.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I actually think the monorail and buses are equally fun...and the buses can be better if you have a good driver! The buses are a lot less relaxing, but (under the right circumstances) can be a lot more interactive and fun.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    I actually think the monorail and buses are equally fun...and the buses can be better if you have a good driver! The buses are a lot less relaxing, but (under the right circumstances) can be a lot more interactive and fun.
    Just don't believe all the "facts" they give...
    Doc