Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Ticket Questions in the Ask The Experts forums; My wife, 2 year old daughter, and I are planning a trip to WDW at the end of May. Neither my wife nor I have been since we were kids. ...
    sailbill is offline A-Ticket holder

Ticket Questions

My wife, 2 year old daughter, and I are planning a trip to WDW at the end of May. Neither my wife nor I have been since we were kids. While we have figured out where we want to stay and are signing up for the dining plan, I have a few questions about park tickets.

1) If we just purchase the base tickets, without any add-on options, can we leave a park and return to the SAME park on the SAME day? As in, can we go back to our room for a nap and then back to the park at a later time, with just base tickets?

2) If we just have base tickets, can we leave one park and go to a different park by using a second day's ticket?

My logic behind the questions is this. We will be at WDW for 6 nights and therefore would usually get a 7 day ticket. To add the park hopper would cost another $100 for my wife and I. To change our tickets to a 10 day ticket would only cost $20 more. While we may go to more than one park in a day, I don't see us having more than 10 different entries (besides reentry to the same park on the same day) over the six days. I know $80 is very little in terms of a $3000 vacation, but every little bit helps. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Ticket Questions

You cannot use another day's ticket to go to a different park! The system at Disney will not allow it. You can go back to the same park on the same day. We have always found the park hopper feature to be very cost effective for our family, it just gives us that much more flexibility when touring the parks for dining and when some show are not performed everyday like fantasmic. But with a 2 year old you may not need that flexibility. If you didnt buy your tickets with a package, check out undercover tourist for tickets. With a link from the mousesavers.com newsletter we saved over $20 per person on 7 day park hoppers and you can see just how little it costs to go from a 5 day to a 6 day ticket.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

disneycrazy1956 has it right. You can not use a second admission on the same day at a different park. I found that the extra $50 spent on PH option was worth it for longer trips because of the flexibility and the cost per day is spread out over the length of stay, so it doesn't feel like such a big expense to add it. I think of it as insurance in case one park is just way too crowded for us on a given day and we want to hop elsewhere, or head to DHS just for Fantasmic.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

A lot depends on your individual situation, including cash flow and the likelihood that you'll return to WDW in the future. (I'm guessing yes on that last one, since you have a 2 year old).

Your best value is certainly going to be to buy a 10-day park hopper with no expiration option. Use your first seven days on this trip and save the last three for your next trip. I don't know exactly how the math works out, but I'd be very surprised if the discount on those last three days would not cover the cost of the no expiration option. Plus you're locking in today's prices for a portion of your next visit, when prices will undoubtedly be higher.

If you want to save money relative to the above, I would advise dropping the park hopper option and just use a little extra care in planning to ensure you don't need to park-hop. Given that you're planning 7 days in the parks, you should easily be able to get your fill without hopping.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We visited WDW every year when my kids were small from age 2 months and the other 14 months.

I'd really recommend the hopper. You are spending big dollars and the hopper will take pressure off your touring. While there was plenty to do at the MK and Epcot for the young ( and great nap rides ) AK and DHS is a bit more limited on the selection for the very young although AK is like a small zoo for little kids at the one end. We often hit DHS in the morning and then after a quick nap, pool time, would head back to MK or Epcot in the evening. Fantasyland and the front end of Epcot are generally less crowded in the evening hours.

Kids melt at the weirdest of times in WDW, so your best planned itinerary goes out the window. If you can hop back to catch what you missed there isn't that stress to push the child beyond their limit. Recently my son (now in early 20's) was going to be in Orlando for a day. I gave him an old childs left over ticket from the early 90's. He spent the day there for what it cost me in 1991. Less than $20 for a park hopper day.

NOTE: Children's 4 day passport in 1991, $87.65, Adult 4 day: $109.85 yep, hold onto those old passports.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

sailbill is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the great info. I should have known Disney would have caught any loopholes in the ticket system. Park hoppers it is for us.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

I liked your pricing info from 1991 HauntedGabe so I just had to add this: our 1990 4 night/5 day stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort with airfare included, transfers to from airport, 2- 5 day park hoppers, 1- 5 day child's parkhopper total cost $1575.00. Oh yeah, a character breakfast at the empress Lily included.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    A lot depends on your individual situation, including cash flow and the likelihood that you'll return to WDW in the future. (I'm guessing yes on that last one, since you have a 2 year old).

Your best value is certainly going to be to buy a 10-day park hopper with no expiration option. Use your first seven days on this trip and save the last three for your next trip. I don't know exactly how the math works out, but I'd be very surprised if the discount on those last three days would not cover the cost of the no expiration option. Plus you're locking in today's prices for a portion of your next visit, when prices will undoubtedly be higher.
    In an example of someone who will visit Disney World for about one week at a time, I very VERY strongly disagree with your idea. The reason is simple: MONEY. Let's memorize the following sentence:

If leftover non-expired days don't TOTALLY cover your ticket needs for one or more trips, then buying the No Expiration option costs you HUNDREDS of dollars more than buying separate tickets for each week-long trip.

If you buy a 10-day non-expiring (NE) ticket now, and use 7 days now, this leaves you 3 leftover days for the next trip. This means you'll need to buy a 4-day ticket for the next time. Let's look at the math, comparing buying a 10-day NE ticket now + a 4-day ticket in the future ... versus buying two separate 7-day tickets, one for each vacation.

NO-EXPIRATION OPTION:
    10-day NE base ticket (for this trip) = $452
    4-day base ticket (for next trip) = $225
    TOTAL COST OF THE NO-EXPIRATION METHOD = $677

SEPARATE TICKET FOR EACH TRIP OPTION:
    7-day base ticket (for this trip) = $234
    7-day base ticket (for next trip) = $234
    TOTAL COST OF THE SEPARATE TICKET METHOD = $468

WOW!

I've laid out all the math for you to see, so you can judge for yourself rather than just blindly accepting my opinion. In the above example, buying the No Expiration option and then later buying a smaller ticket costs $199 MORE than buying separate tickets for each trip.

Imagine for a family of 4 people, this means that, in the above example, that family would throw away almost $800 on the assumption that buying the No Expiration option is always best.

:
    :
    :
    :

Now, I'm not saying that the No Expiration option is evil. It can be used quite effectively by some people. Someone who knows they will go to Disney parks 2 or 3 times per trip and who knows they'll be doing so over the course of several years ... THAT person makes out like a bandit using the No Expiration option. Someone who does 5 park days now and 5 park days a little over a year from now ... that person has an advantage of only a few dollars, it's just about a break-even proposition.
    -- Eric

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Sorry I didn't see this thread before, but CleveRocks is totally right...the NE option is a complex beast that can cost you a lot more if you don't do it correctly. NO ONE should consider the NE option without working all the math. If you have to buy even ONE extra day to cover a trip, the NE costs you more than buying separate tickets.

A possible exception is if you "chain" 10-day NE tickets to cover all of your vacations - buy a 10-day NE now, go for 7 days. Return for a second trip of 7 days, use the remaining 3 days and buy another 10-day NE and use 4 days, lather rinse repeat.

Or if you are a water park person, get the WPFM option and NE, and you've got water park admissions good forever until they are used up.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news