Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Making it "Special" for all family members in the Ask The Experts forums; We will be in WDW in June for my birthday, and arriving just 8 days after my daughter's 5th birthday and I am super excited. I have never been to ...
    eeyore1974 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Making it "Special" for all family members

We will be in WDW in June for my birthday, and arriving just 8 days after my daughter's 5th birthday and I am super excited. I have never been to Disney for an occasion before.

We were lucky enough to get dinner reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table, so I am "ear"marking that one as DD's birthday celebration.

We will be at DHS on the day of my birthday, so we will be celebrating my birthday there, with possibly a trip to Beaches and Cream for a special dessert.

Here is my dilemma (if only dilemma's were this easy): I don't want to leave DS (nearly 7 years old) out. He has already asked if we'll be going back to Disney for his birthday since both his sister and I will be celebrating in Florida. As we can only afford a Disney trip every few years, this is out of the question. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Much appreciated!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Making it "Special" for all family members

Explain the finances as best you can but buy him something special there on the sly for his birthday, then give it for his birthday at home.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Get him a birthday pin and on a day that isn't your daughter's or your birthday have him "celebrate."

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I agree with Snow White. Either get him a birthday pin and designate one day as his, or turn it around and ask a castmember if they have an "unbirthday" pin so he can celebrate that and make one day his special day.
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

disneyfun55 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I like wdwfns2's idea - celebrate his un-birthday! You could do this really easy at breakfast at 1900 Park Faire as the Mad Hatter is there! You could let the CM's at the podium know on the sly and ask that they tell the Mad Hatter what is going on (not wanting to have DS feel left out with all the b-day celebrations) and I am sure that he will be loud and obnoxious enough for any little boy to enjoy!

Another idea would be to take him to join the Pirate's League over in Adventureland. I believe that they have packages starting around $40 or so.

Yet another idea would be to let him totally plan a day of the vacation that is not covered by a birthday (of course within reason) including which park you go to, which rides, etc. Make sure the DD is on board with this so there is no fighting amongst the natives. You could bestow upon him the title of "King of the World....for a day!" I am sure that you could find some small trophy at a dollar store or an oversized key maybe!

Last idea would be to take him to the Harmony Barber Shop in Town Square and have him get his haircut! They do things just right there to help everyone feel special! They will put Mickey Mouse confetti in his hair and even paint a hidden Mickey on the back of his head with colored gel! Every kid loves it...even the 37 year old types...yep, did it and have photo's to prove it ....im such a dork!

Hope that helps! Let us know what you decide to do!

tmlinz is offline E-Ticket Holder

I have this problem, too. We will be at WDW for DD's b-day (she doesn't know that, though), but DS's birthday was beginning of this month. We booked his favorite character meal (O'hana breakfast), and tagged it as celebrating his birthday. Also, we are getting b-day pins for both of them to wear every day except DD's b-day an DS's celebration day (only one will wear their pin on those days.
    The happiest place on earth is where my kids are!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Un-birthday's are good. What I've learned from anything from life is you can't always make everyone happy. I'm not saying this to be negative, but from what I gather, you have four people going? You, son, daughter, spouse?

My suggestion would be to split your family up every once in a while. Make it two and two instead of all four of you. Cover more ground and have your kids choose what they would like to do during the one on one time. Plus, I don't know how many days you're going to be there either.

And if you would like to go out with your spouse, baby sitting and child care is always available for you, too.

Hope this helps a little
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I remember when kids were happy just to GO to WDW. You shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Maybe DD and DS can go do something special as an ealry B-Day celebration doing all those manly things like Pirates and Tom Sawyer Island and HM and Tomorrowland Speedway and none of those frilly Princess things. I've taken my DS for a few hours when just the two of us did what he wanted to do at DHS like SW 5x... and he loved it. His older sisters stayed with DM and it was just the two of us.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i think the pirate thing is cool.. and the unbirthday
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

eeyore1974 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thank you all, such wonderful suggestions from everyone. I love the un-birthday celebration idea. He is a huge StarWars fan and even though the day we have planned to go to DHS is my actual birthday, this day is really for DS and DH. We will be doing lots together that day, but I am anticipating DD getting a little tired of all the space fun at some point. DD and I will probably take that time to see Voyage of Little Mermaid or something like that.

As much as I thought about the idea of having our blackberries with us just to messenger each other in case we get separated, it didn't even occur to me that each child may have different things on their agenda (probably because the last time we were there with both of them, they were in a double stroller and did what we wanted).

We have ADR at Garden Grill on our arrival day. I know they do special birthday certificates and a mini-cake for birthdays. I think I'm going to call ahead and ask if they would do the same for an un-birthday.

We had already planned on the barbershop, as both kids had their first haircuts there on two previous trips and it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!