Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss When will Disney use Marvel? in the Ask The Experts forums; Does anyone know the agreements between Disney and Marvel about when they can use the characters in the parks and other merchandise? I've been wondering because I know there are ...
    aerosmithfan94 is offline C-Ticket Holder

When will Disney use Marvel?

Does anyone know the agreements between Disney and Marvel about when they can use the characters in the parks and other merchandise? I've been wondering because I know there are restrictions about how Universal has the marvel area in Island of Adventure and about the movies already being distributed by other companies, but after that Disney could really come up with great attractions with all of the superheroes for the parks.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: When will Disney use Marvel?

I don't know the details, but I did hear that Disney can't use marvel in any theme parks east of the Mississippi, and I'm not sure of the time frame as to when that could expire, but I have seen people posting pictures of marvel merch popping up here and there. So I would assume Disneyland and more likely DCA would get Marvel characters first.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...

I have also read that the main reason Disney picked up Marvel was for merchandising. I'm thinking you are more likely seeing them in your local Disney store first before riding the newest Marvel attraction in Disney as it is years before Universal's contract expires.
    "It's a small world after all..."

Mike M is offline A-Ticket holder

I simply have to believe that part of Disney's long term strategy in buying Marvel was to put a "doom cloud" over their closest/best competition; and that is definately Universal Studios. While Universal may have a contract on Marval characters for many years to come, it will someday expire and don't expect Disney to revew it. Someday I expect that Disney will either acquire Universal Studios altogether or they will take Marvel completely away from them. There is plenty of Disney owned land in Orlando for an eventual Marvel Comics park. Someday I believe that will happen!!

Just my 2-cents. Thanks. Mike M

mrwdwfan is offline A-Ticket holder

disney and Marvel did Iron Man 2, and captain america is coming as well.
    <Ultimate Disney Geek>

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

There is Marvel merchandise in store's in Disney. Specifically, where I really noticed was Hollywood Studios. But I'm sure they're sold elsewhere.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I saw some at Mickey's Star Traders in MK. Don't remember exactly who. I know Iron Man was one but don't remember the other one.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I saw a Co-Opt* Man t-shirt in a DTD store.

*He is a new superhero that co-opts: takes or assumes someone's identity for his own use.

aerosmithfan94 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by TTAfanatic View Post
    I don't know the details, but I did hear that Disney can't use marvel in any theme parks east of the Mississippi, and I'm not sure of the time frame as to when that could expire, but I have seen people posting pictures of marvel merch popping up here and there. So I would assume Disneyland and more likely DCA would get Marvel characters first.
    Thats strange that it would be east of the mississippi(i guess they were talking mainly about WDW), because doesn't Universal in California have marvel characters there, so wouldn't they have a problem with Marvel being used in Disneyland too? And, like some of you have said, there is merchandise in the WDW parks, so thats kinda wierd, unless they mean attractions only.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Superheros popping up anywhere in the Magic Kingdom, even Tomorrowland, would be too weird. With Disney, I know it's all about branding, but the two concepts don't merge especially well. Otherwise, we'll be having the Star Wars/Disney cross-over characters, which by now I'm starting to tire of. Expect to see Minnie Dressed up as Wonder Woman and Donald dressed up as the Hulk any day now. Blech.

Otherwise, the only place I could see them using the characters would be at the Studios someday. Anywhere else, they wouldn't fit too well.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.