Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Ride Height Question in the Ask The Experts forums; Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to fight the system and the safety/height measures that are in place at the World. My daughter is 35.5 inches ...
    KerriRocker is offline A-Ticket holder

Cool Ride Height Question

Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to fight the system and the safety/height measures that are in place at the World.

My daughter is 35.5 inches (without shoes) and has been measured as such by the doctor, home height chart, etc . We were at the World and brought her to try out Goofy's Barnstormer and when she was measured against the measuring stick at the entrance to the ride it was at least an inch above her head. We live in the area so not being able to go on this trip is not a big deal but I was curious if anyone else had run into this problem.

I know that it is probably set slightly higher than the posted 35" to accomodate for shoes and such but how accurate is it?

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Ride Height Question

well i know they are not perfectly accurate... i remember a family sitting on a bench in Frontierland talking... (we were waiting on line for popcorn) when the father turned and said, "ok kids... lets get your Splash Mountain shoes on..." to my surprise they put on those sketchers that have like a 3-4'' sole... now there is a way to mess with the system... albeit not really a safe one i suspect
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

my daughter was just barely 35 and she got to do the barnstormer.. i measured her at home and she was just barely that.. but i must say she did have sketchers on the day she rode it too ...lol she likes them.. were going to get twinkle toes tomorrow
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

If the CMs see the kids wearing platform shoes, they can ask for them to be removed. Technically, you have to meet the height requirement in bare feet, but there is usually a safety factor built in to the advertised height requirement to accommodate typical shoes.

As for Barnstormer, I don't know what the height bar is actually set to (sometimes I want to walk around with a tape measure just to see), but should not be set measurably higher than advertised. If she was wearing shoes and was measured as a half-inch over that height without them, she should have easily hit the bar. However, there are all sorts of factors involved. Was this later in the day?

Did she stand up straight and tall? Note that at the doctor's office, they will make sure she does, but the CMs will only encourage them to do so but will not verify that they are standing clinically straight as well.

There CAN be some variance in the height bars, which is why we've always explained to our children if they were borderline that there was the possibility of not getting to ride that time, but there would always be another time...fortunately we will only be borderline one more time this trip. For those planning that "once in a lifetime" trip, I always recommend waiting until the kids are enough over the height limit to not be an issue.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

As far as a safety issue, why would you want to put a kids life in danger for a ride at Disney World?
    My four year old knows if she’s not tall enough we move on to the next ride. I’m not saying that anyone on here is being irresponsible (to each his own). However, if anything is the least bit questionable, I’ll pass - the consequences far out way the fun. If it says 40” and my daughter is 40” just to close for me.
    If a ride says 36” and your son or daughter is 34” but with platform sneakers your saying they are 37” just to get on a ride, if they are not secure on there the way the ride is meant to be…., who will be lining up to sue Disney because their kid fell out of a ride. No Thanks.
    If an elevator says 250 max weight and I’m 249, not gonna take my shoes off to ride the elevator LOL Sorry off I’m my soapbox now LOL
    100 Days to go – woo hoo!
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

When my sister was little, my mom made her wear the 3-4 inch sktechers and we put her hair in pigtails that sat high on her head, it gave her an extra 4-5 inches and she was always allowed on the rides We never had a problem.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

see... like i said... people do try this... and i heard that it works... someone enlighten me... if your sitting on a ride and your only 38" and your 42" with your platforms on... how does that make it unsafe...?

now i wouldnt put an infant on Splash Mountain... but... if my son was just under the height... and he would be over it with some thick soled sneakers i really dont think that it would be that big of a deal... if he or she cant sit in the seat the right way with the harness as tight as it can be... then absolutely they should never ride... but if they are safe and it is ok... what exactly is the big deal...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    see... like i said... people do try this... and i heard that it works... someone enlighten me... if your sitting on a ride and your only 38" and your 42" with your platforms on... how does that make it unsafe...?
    Because the safety features of a ride doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how high the top of your head is over the ground - and seldom does.

The height requirement is a quickly measurable determination of your average body style that when set appropriately for the existing safety systems (restraints, etc.) means your body will be safe within the system. It has to do with torso length, possibility of slipping through restraints, etc.

In some cases even it can be used as a substitute for an age check, since children are not required to have IDs to prove age. If you are tall enough, you are (probably) old enough to know not to try and bypass restraints, etc. Of course, we know that that isn't foolproof either...

A 38" child is smaller than a 42" child, regardless of what shoes they wear or how poofy their hair is. That means that child is more of a safety risk for a safety system designed around the average 42" body, possibly outside the safety margins that are built in for "non-average" body styles.

Think about a modern rollercoaster with an over the shoulder restraint system. What does your overall height have to do with whether you fit in the restraints? It doesn't directly. After all, a lot of systems have your legs dangling in the air from your seat. However, your torso length is what is important. Just imagine trying to measure that for everyone at RNRC though...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news