Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Magic Kingdom Flag retreat in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi everyone, This is my first time posting and I have a question about the flag retreat ceremony at Magic Kingdom. I read in Celebrations that Disney invites vets to ...
    nikmil is offline A-Ticket holder

Magic Kingdom Flag retreat

Hi everyone,
    This is my first time posting and I have a question about the flag retreat ceremony at Magic Kingdom. I read in Celebrations that Disney invites vets to help with the ceremony. My husband is an Air Force retiree, but he is not the lover of Disney that our kids and I are. So I was hoping to surprise him by getting him signed up to help with the ceremony when we go in September. So my question is does anyone know what time they do that so I can make sure our dining reservations don't conflict with it and will they let me sign him up without his knowledge? And any tips on getting a better chance of getting him chosen to participate? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

dwdiva is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Magic Kingdom Flag retreat

Oh... This is possibly one of my favorite Disney memories...
    Here is our story:
    My husband is a former Army Ranger. We were married last March, and have a combined total of 4 kids. In lieu of a traditional honeymoon, we took a family- moon to Disney. I wanted to create a magical moment for each person while we were there, and the flag retreat was what I chose for my husband.
    After driving overnight to Disney,and having a short nap in the morning, we arrived at Magic Kingdom for rope drop, with a very tired husband! I was a little antsy, because I knew the process for getting him signed up for the honored veteran of the day was pretty much reliant on luck and pixie dust...but it was beautiful!
    When we got through the gates, I told my family that I needed to quickly stop into City Hall for something (I think I said to confirm our dinner reservations)- and quickly pointed out that Chip and Dale were signing autographs! I RAN over to City Hall once we passed through the gates (note to you: when doing it- go through the gates furthest to the left- they are the closest). When you get to City Hall- you just have to be the first to ask. That's it! They do not accept "reservations" It truly is first come, first serve. The castmember I asked had to confirm that I was the first to do so... as I was waiting, I heard 12 other families ask... I was sweating bullets LOL!!! But sure enough, I was the first!!! I was told to meet back at the Flag Pole at 4:45. (Our time was cut a little close as we had a 3:00 reservation for lunch at Crystal Palace).
    The moment was so magical! Our 4 kids stood with the Dapper Dans and led MK in the Pledge of Allegiance, and then my husband was announced as the honored veteran of the day, as a former Army Ranger as they lowered the flag. He was presented the flag, and then him, the color guard, the Dapper Dans, the 4 kids and I went in a small "parade" down main street. I thought the kids were just going to bust with excitement, and I was going to bust with pride! At the end, a photographer took our picture with the flag, and we were given a certificate for a free 8x10 print. Erin also recieved a certificate and a very special Honored Veteran of the Day trading pin.
    I have been so lucky to have visited Disney World every year since I was 2 years old, and sometimes multiple visits a year. I have to say- this was one of the most magical experiences of my life!
    Good luck with it, I hope I answered your questions...let me know if you have any others!
    ...That's a pie crust promise...Easily made and easily broken...

Thanks you so much, that really helps. I do have another question for you. Did you need your husbands military ID to get him signed up? Thanks again!

dwdiva is offline A-Ticket holder

Hey! No problem! I didn't need his id- they just took my word for it! PLEASE report back and let us know if he was able to do it!!! Good luck!
    ...That's a pie crust promise...Easily made and easily broken...

Thanks again, and I will definitely let you know fi he gets to do it!