Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Planning future trips. in the Ask The Experts forums; As you can see from my signature, we are planning several trips to Disney. For boring money and family related reasons, these are all quite a long way off yet ...
    tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Planning future trips.

As you can see from my signature, we are planning several trips to Disney. For boring money and family related reasons, these are all quite a long way off yet but I thought I would start getting your views and ideas.

The first trip we are planning will be in August 2013. On this trip will be myself, my husband and our son, who will be five. DH and I stayed at POFQ for our honeymoon and adored it so had planned to go back. However, looking at the planning DVD, it looks as if there are more things to do at Riverside? We are leaning towards the Aligator Bayou - what do people think to this? Have you stayed there? Are there any Disney experiences you would particularly recommend for a five year old boy?

The next trip is a really special one. Dad has some money saved up to take the whole family (my parents, myself and hubby, our son, my brother and his wife and their two children who will be 7 and 5). Mum would like us to stay in a villa together, but Dad really wants to stay on property. Again, what do people recommend? Are the Disney villas big enough that we will be able to stay in one without being on top of each other? Would 3 rooms near to each other be a better option? And what experiences do people suggest for such a large group?

The third trip is a bit more of a dream at the moment (the two trips above are 99% certain). We would like to have a week in a moderate resort, a week touring some other parts of Florida (Sarasota, Everglades, Keys etc) before returning to Orlando for a week in a deluxe resort. This would truly be a trip of a lifetime so we are considering every option! Suggestions?? I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge, as I have heard that they are excellent but noisy - I am a very light sleeper!

Thanks to all who have managed to read all of this - please make any suggestions you can.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Planning future trips.

I've stayed at the Polynesian and wasn't all that impressed with it. Unless they've cleaned it up over the past few years, the rooms were extremely standard, as hotel rooms go. Plus, it was one of the original hotels on property, so it's among the oldest offerings. Plus, I am always partial to someplace like Wilderness, where it's just one building, not a whole complex. There aren't many of the indoor hotels at Disney, with the majority of them having their doors open to the outside.

That being said, I've never been inside the standard rooms at Wilderness, only the DVC. While I love the theming of the hotel itself, both the lobby and the villas, the rooms themselves are not updated in any way. They always feel dirty and dark to me, for some reason. For me, it's not the rooms so much as it is the overall ambience.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i have never stayed at either.. but i wanna stay at poly for some reason
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Thanks for your thoughts. Although the guide books always rave about the Poly, I have heard some negative things about it.
    But I bet there are some Poly fans on here too??
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i have stayed in the Polynesian in the last 3 years... my family swears by it... the rooms are nice (many of the new longhouses are set up like DVC rooms) and the lobby has a great theming...

Wilderness Lodge as you see i cannot say much for another 2 weeks as i am going to be staying here but in a DVC room... i will let you know what i think when i go...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...

The Polynesian has some nice rooms and a nice lobby. It also has monorail access, but I think Wilderness Lodge has a boat I believe. I have never been to Wilderness, so I can't speak about that. But I heard it's really good, so either way you'll be making a good decision.
    "It's a small world after all..."