Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan? in the Ask The Experts forums; oh... and i never turn down free food... especially ifit means i have to visit my crazy aunt... if its free... its me... but having a math degree from CalTech ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan?

oh... and i never turn down free food... especially ifit means i have to visit my crazy aunt... if its free... its me... but having a math degree from CalTech might help you plan a WDW vacation...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    But "free dining" isn't really free. You need to do the math to see if it is worth it over other discounts. A 40% discount on a deluxe room (if you are the deluxe type) can often be a better deal than free dining at rack rate and just paying for the DDP.

Disney vacations are rapidly becoming a math exercise.
    Unfrotunately we ar not deluxe people (wish I was though). We are value people but we splurged this time and have become moderate people.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

as they say on ESPN... "Welcome to the big Show..."
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyRulez View Post
    Unfrotunately we ar not deluxe people (wish I was though). We are value people but we splurged this time and have become moderate people.
    I think at moderate it can be an either/or situation, depending on the discounts available (are you an AP holder, have a PIN code, etc.), and room occupancy (the room costs the same if its one person or 4 (at least if two of them are under 18, so free dining can save more if its four people than if its two or one).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

is it worth it for value though...?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I think at moderate it can be an either/or situation, depending on the discounts available (are you an AP holder, have a PIN code, etc.), and room occupancy (the room costs the same if its one person or 4 (at least if two of them are under 18, so free dining can save more if its four people than if its two or one).
    There are 4 of us. I did the math and this seemed to be the best route for us to take. I could be mistaken because I was never any good in math.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i usually always stay at a value.. and granted i know i can stay off resort much cheaper as far as room goes... then i have to pay for a rental car to be able to drive around to save money on eating of park and to get back and forth to the airport and then i have to pay for parking.. and thats alot of lil things.. so i say stay at disney include it all and be done...lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Doombuggy13 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Angry Re: Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan?

I've been a big advocate for the dining plan in the past, but starting in 2011, I'm not so sure. Every year, they have taken something away or made it more expensive. Now with Le Cellier going to a double meal and another price increase soon to follow, ADRs are difficult at best, I think it will no longer be a value.

VivaWDW.com is offline B-Ticket Holder

Doombuggy13 and I are on the same page... I wonder myself. I had the DeluxxDP on my last trip and had appetizers included in every table meal. The 2011 plans do not list this as a scenario for the DeluxDP but do on the newly introduced PlatinumDP, with a difference of an additional 3K (I ran the numbers online). Sure you get some additional perks included at this tier but the only one I'm interested in is the appetizers I got this year (and not for an additional 3k)... I will have to look further into this...
    Mario P.
    o VivaWDW.com : My Personal/Random WDW Musings o

5/'11 :9 Days @ Contemporary Tower - TPV | Star Wars Weekends
    6/'10 :8 Days @ Contemporary Tower - TPV | Star Wars Weekends
    8/'09 :7 Days @ All Star Movies - Toy Story
    10/'07 :6 Days @ All Star Movies - Fantasia | MNSSHP
    10/'06 :5 Days @ All Star Movies - Dalmations | MNSSHP

i think they made the dining plans very affordable when they introduced them... and now that people are used to them... they are going to start raising the prices of everything... hoping that you stay with it because you have been using them for a few years... just a thought...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I thought about getting the dining plan for the 4 days we're doing after the WDW radio cruise in March. I have used the plan once and it was a LOT of food for me. I mean, every meal (including counter service) came with dessert, and I NEVER get desserts. Most of the time we were way too full for them, and then often I would make myself eat it anyways just because I wanted to get my values worth. Because we were so stuffed from all the food we ended up with a lot of snack credits that again, we would use to purchase items we were eating because we didn't want to waste credits that we purchased.

I'm doing the trip with my boyfriend who is a pretty big eater but he doesn't like most desserts and wouldn't eat them either. I also frequently find that kid's meals are enough for me, and as for sit down meals we'll be having so much wonderful food on the cruise that I'm alright not having a table service EVERY day. So...I've decided its not worth it for this trip. We can eat our fill and still spend less than an average of $40 a day (or whatever it is now). Even if there's free dining I would rather use a discounted room rate if its available.

The time I did use it was as a splurge and as a chance to get to try out different restaurants, and we did NOT do it for the value but instead as just an easier way of handling all the dining. If I ever wanted to splurge on lots of table service meals again, I would use the dining plan... but I don't think it's all that much of a "value" unless you happen to be a group of large, football players! Of course, I pretty much always drive and stay off-property so I'm used to not spending much on my food costs that I wouldn't already be spending at home I guess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123