Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan? in the Ask The Experts forums; Okay so I have a dilemma, I am really trying to do do WDW as cheap as I can. But I am torn between getting the dining plan or not. ...
    supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan?

Okay so I have a dilemma, I am really trying to do do WDW as cheap as I can. But I am torn between getting the dining plan or not. I think if I was going to get it I would have to get the quick service because it is the cheapest, but my girlfriend is a very very picky eater. Aside from eating pancakes for breakfast and ice cream for a snack she may only eat fries for lunch/dinner. Me on the other hand I would use the dining plan to its fullest potential.

Last time we went we brought pop-tarts for breakfast and brought assorted snack/meal bars with us to hold us over for one quick service meal. Then later at night we would get a snack. Quite frankly I did not mind this at all and I think it worked out quite well for the both of us.

So, I guess the question I am proposing is will we really save money by getting the dining plan or will we be taking a hit?

Thanks!
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Re: Dining Plan? Or No Dining Plan?

i myself love the dinning plan.. i love paying for it and it being outta the way.. my room, ticket, and food are already taken care of before i even leave the house.. it just brings me comfort.. and im also not looking at prices.. because thats something on vacation i dont like to do is worry about $$$. i love the dinning plan.. i personally get the one with a sit down dinner because we love to do character dining. but its to each their own
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

We never use the dining plan cos we always find in Florida heat we don't want to eat alot so will just get a burger or small pizza at some stage and not eat alot else

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

I love the full dining plan personally but your situation it doesn't sound like you'd be using it to the fullest. I'd recommend the quick service plan if anything.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

I wouldn't reccomend the dining plan if you want to do exactly what you did before. I think you wouldn't get the value out of it. We did the dining plan last September---free dining but the room was full rack rate... we figured we definitely got our moneys worth but it was alot of food. The biggest benefit for us was we tried several signature rests. that we otherwise never would have tried. Yachtsmans steakhouse was outstanding. And Narcosseses wasn't far behind.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

We are doing the dining plan for the first time this December.

Various friends have used it and loved it. But it really depends on your dining patterns.

If you can have one meal and snacks a day, I don't think even the QSDP makes sense - unless the snacks you eat would add up to more than $20/day/person or so.

I ran the numbers for our trip, looking at the QSDP first - but we intended to do two or three table services as well. It didn't take long to realize that for the three meals we'd easily spend more than the extra $10/day/person the full DDP cost. So we'll be having a signature meal, etc.

Being DVC we have the advantage of a kitchen, but we have yet made effective use of it yet (much to the detriment of my wallet)...but most of our breakfasts will be done in-kitchen.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mr. Tom Morrow is offline C-Ticket Holder

If you are paying for the dining plan I say no. The last few times I went I did the free dining and that was awesome but the one time I payed for it I realized that it wasn't really worth it. The thing with the dining plan is you get A LOT of food. The deal sounds good because it you get free counter service with a dessert and a sit down with a free dessert and a snack. To get all that for the price they charge is a good deal. HOWEVER, I often found myself eating way too much food and feeling like **** the rest of the day. The only reason I ate it was because it was free and it was there. If you just buy your meals regularly you can fill yourself up with less food and less money.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

If you really want to do WDW as cheap as you can I say skip the dining plan and eat outside the parks, that may not be the most convenient way but it's the cheapest. You don't save any money by doing the dining plan you are just paying up front.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

laurenjdaisy is offline A-Ticket holder

The dining plan can save money, but it sounds like you wouldn't fully utilize it in your case anyway so it would be a waste. I look at the dining plan more as a way to pay before hand so I don't have to worry the cost of food when I'm at the parks. If you max out everything that it offered to you on a plan, then it pays off, but it's not worth forcing yourself to eat more than you want to just because you've already paid for it and feel like you need to get your moneys worth.

I don't know if we saved that much money, but we tried a couple of signature restaurants that we probably never would have gone to without the dining plan. We used snacks at lunch and used counter service credits for the nights we weren't going to have a table service meal. We also shared a few counter service meals if my DW and DD were not that hungry. I did enjoy not having to worry about how much we were spending on our meals.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

oops, nothing like repeating yourself. sorry, lol.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

id recommend doing it the way you have in the past... what happens to many people is they end up having to blow the quick service meals on ridiculous things... and then you run the risk of your g/f not eating some of the things... unless you know your gonna use every meal the dining plan has to offer... i wouldn't... for my g/f and i... we are using the normal dining plan... but we are using 2 sit downs to go to the Hoop-De-Do Revue... so i know i wont be blowing a sitdown meal at the end of the vaca...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

I personally would get the dining plan. You'll just have to eat a lot.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks for some great advice! Looks like we are going to do it the way we have in the past and skip the dining plan. The last thing I need is too be bogged down with food as I am speed walking and dragging my g/f behind me as I race to ride Splash Mountain before the park closes.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supermariodrums View Post
    Thanks for some great advice! Looks like we are going to do it the way we have in the past and skip the dining plan. The last thing I need is too be bogged down with food as I am speed walking and dragging my g/f behind me as I race to ride Splash Mountain before the park closes.
    Actually if you pick a week that's not blacked out - you'll probably get FREE dining plan, and then you won't have to worry about blowing the $

just a thought
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter