Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Carrying at Disney in the Ask The Experts forums; I'm taking a trip over to Disney with my Dad in September. He has a concealed weapons permit and wants to take the gun with him over to Disney for ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Carrying at Disney

I'm taking a trip over to Disney with my Dad in September. He has a concealed weapons permit and wants to take the gun with him over to Disney for personal protection on our drive to and from. We are Florida residents and will be Driving over to the World.

I know guns aren't allowed in the parks and there was an issue a few years ago with Disney and a Cast Member that was obeying Florida law and left his concealed gun in his car. They terminated him because he had the gun in his car.

I can't seem to find what Disney's stance is though on guests bringing guns. Is it not allowed at all? The intention was to just leave it in the safe in the hotel room, that way its not in the car where someone might see it and steal it. Is this okay, or is this something we're going to have to turn over to the front desk to keep until we leave?

We also had a question about taking the gun into DTD. We'll be getting to the World early, before check-in, and my Dad's intention was to go to DTD and shop around until check-in time rolls around, then go and check into the hotel He wanted to take the gun in, because he doesn't want to leave it in the car (in case someone breaks in and steals it). Yes, I know I can go to the resort, "check-in" and even if our room isn't ready, they will hold our bags for us. Dad thinks that will be a pain though, and doesn't want to do that.

Just curious what Disney's policy is on this toward guests. Thanks to any that can help.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Carrying at Disney

I can understand (maybe) feeling the need for it on the drive. But having a permit doesn't mean you need to carry the thing with you every minute of every day. If you have it in the glove compartment and LEAVE it in the glove compartment, if you're asking do they have dogs sniffing cars at the toll plaza, no. I think you're fine to have it in your car. Walking around Downtown Detroit with a concealed weapon? Knock yourself out. Walking around Downtown Disney with a gun? Seems a bit overkill.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

that is a bit odd.. i agree.. leave in the car or in your room safe where it belongs.. just because someone has a concealed weapon lic dont me jack.. someone can still get that then flip out and and kill people.. theirs really no need for a weapon in disney or dtd.. its not like your walking around ciny after dark after a ball game or something..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

I know we got a new law recently regarding concealed weapons. If I remember correctly it had to do with property owners restricting the storage of weapons in vehicles in their parking lots. Employees with concealed carry permits, while they understood not being allowed to carry in the workplace, were complaining that they could not leave their guns in their cars. The law made explicit that while a business could prevent people from carrying on their private property, they could not ban employees (or anyone else) from keeping a properly secured weapon in their cars.

I can only say this with 99.9999999% certainty, but I'm am pretty sure Disney is not going to let you carry your weapon on their property, whether in the parks, at DTD, or in your room at the resort, which is their legal right. If I'm correct about the law, however, they don't have any authority to prevent you from keeping it properly secured in your vehicle.

For something of this nature I would advise calling WDW directly. A direct number for WDW security would probably be best if you can find it, which I don't think should be too hard.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Remember some crazy old woman got busted for trying to smuggle in her licensed hand gun. Leave the **** thing at home where it belongs. You're on vacation. Crazy broad.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

Leave it at home...youj don't need it anywhere, never mind Disney.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Leave dad or the gun at home; don't bring both.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

He was only wanting to bring it in to the resort and keep it in the safe so that no one sees it in the car and decides to break in and steal it or something. He has no intentions in trying to go into a park or walk around the resort with it. It was the same with DTD, so no one sees it and tries to steal it. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing illegal with carrying it at DTD or keeping it in the hotel room safe.

As for bringing the gun, its not up to me wether the gun stays or goes; its my Dads. Its his gun and he's paying for the trip.

Mr. Tom Morrow is offline C-Ticket Holder

I am all for the right to carry but c'mon, it is Disney. Has there ever been a time in the parks or DTD when someone needed to use a gun on someone? My suggestion is to make the first option here to keep the gun at home. I know it is hard to get some gun owners away from their piece but this would just be the easiest and simplest solution. If this doesn't work, try convincing him to keep it in the car. Mention the history of gun use in Disney to convince here. It is mostly limited to cap guns being shot at plastic elephants and fake pirates shooting blanks at each other. Really try to convince him too that nobody is going to break into the car.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i would say disney would have issues with it being on their property so i say call the resort you will be staying at an ask about leaving in it in the safe.. and if you dad is so worried about packin a gun everywhere then he should not vacation at places that have rules and laws on packin weapons on their property. does he really think they should make a exception just for him..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

Putting all judgments aside - I can't imagine this has been attempted enough for you to get reliable information on a board like this. My suggestion would be to all Disney direct. Looking at their contact information page - this probably falls into "all other inquiries" which lists the phone number as (407) 939-6244.
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

Doombuggy13 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Re: Carrying at Disney

My brother is a cop here in Ohio and carries his sidearm EVERYWHERE, for a pending Disney trip we checked into it. They do not want the weapon in the parks no matter the circumstance, but said not a problem locked in the safe in the room. They actually prefer that to leaving it in the car. I would just try to keep it out of site!

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Truthfully, if It were me, i wouldnt even tell anyone about it and leave it in my car, in the console or under the seat, no one would try to steal it if they couldnt see it. And dont even bring it in the room, just leave it in the car. Its already hot in florida, you dont need to be packing heat lol

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Remember some crazy old woman got busted for trying to smuggle in her licensed hand gun. Leave the **** thing at home where it belongs. You're on vacation. Crazy broad.
    some crazy guys got busted for taking pictures of the House of Blues in Downtown Disney... whatcha think about the gun now...? i say leave it home... if you really feel you will not be safe driving to the resort... drive straight thru... i never heard of anyone being robbed at 80 mph...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Haven't we already had a post on this before? I think it turned into a huge flame war. The "crazy" guy didn't get busted for taking pictures at DTD, he got asked to stop because he looked like a professional photographer taking unauthorized photos of Disney Property.

I carry my firearm on every vacation. It stays on me at all times EXCEPT when I am at a park. I'm a little different though, I'm covered under a Senate Bill that allows me to carry across state lines. I take mine to WDW, while it's contrary to my very core training to go unarmed, I comply with Disney's stance against weapons at the park but I do carry it at DTD and the reason behind that is DTD is open to anyone. I trust Disney to keep me and my family safe in the Parks. When I stay on Disney Property I use the in room safe they provide me. If I'm staying off property I drive to WDW and secure it in in my vehicle.

I worry less about the person who has a CCW permit then I do the person who may be mentally unstable who has decided that he needs to hurt people. We don't live in a world of candy canes and sugar plums. And as much as I want it to be contrary, the argument that nothing can happen cause it's Disney is wrong. Sorry GooofyRulez, but there was an off duty cop in Utah that had to engage an active shooter at a Mall on Valentine's Day while he was out with his pregnant wife. He saved lives. There are times when you do need it.

Can you get robbed at 80MPH on the highway? Nope. But you can get robbed at a gas station. What about stopping at a restaurant and some loon comes in and starts shooting up the place? It's happened.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast