Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss refillable mug question in the Ask The Experts forums; yeh i got a couple from MVMCP like that... the new refillable mugs at the resorts arent like that though......
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: refillable mug question

yeh i got a couple from MVMCP like that... the new refillable mugs at the resorts arent like that though...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

From the looks of it, it is just the way it was made. The shell is one piece, but they made the inside tapered so it doesn't hold as much as the outside of the mug suggests, but it adds an insulation factor. The outside and inside are likely a single piece of plastic, and the "snap on" bottom was simply to seal it.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I believe there are two reasons for the mugs being like this... This was only back when they had the resort-specific bigger looking mugs.
    1. Insulation. Having that space with air there prevents the heat outside from getting to the middle as quickly, and the same with cold air and hot drinks.
    2. Condensation. They do that so that the mug does not get all wet on the outside. That middle part captures the water, (Which is usually not enough to drip out), and keeps it from getting everything wet. The bottom comes off so that you can dry that out afterwards, preventing anything getting dirty.

I'd assume the mugs used now still have that space, albeit in a smaller design. However, I'd also assume that they somehow make the middle "condensation proof" or sterilize it before they seal it so that the inside doesn't get wet, and slimy, etc.

Hope this helps!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

As the molds for these are my DH's profession, I just showed the old mug and new mug styles to him and asked for a clarification.

Both style mugs are a two piece design. The older plumper mug has the thermal seal at the bottom that snaps into place.

The new smaller version is also a two piece design and one fits inside the other. Take the lid off and you will see the overlapping seam. He saw mugs of this design being put together in a plastic shooting firm just outside of Chicago. Put smaller inner piece in the larger outer piece, put league ball atop, hit with hammer, snaps together. No sterilization.
    Wash those mugs first as per the instruction that come with them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12