Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Where should we stay in the Ask The Experts forums; hi again! I'm helping plan my family's vacation to Disney in June and we are trying to decide where to stay? is it cheaper to stay outside of disney or ...
    judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder

Where should we stay

hi again! I'm helping plan my family's vacation to Disney in June and we are trying to decide where to stay? is it cheaper to stay outside of disney or should we stay there? what is the best place to stay in disney? it is going to be my parents, me and my two younget brothers (i'm 17 and they are 12 and 9). thank you :mickey: :mickey:

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by judycats
    hi again! I'm helping plan my family's vacation to Disney in June and we are trying to decide where to stay? is it cheaper to stay outside of disney or should we stay there? what is the best place to stay in disney? it is going to be my parents, me and my two younget brothers (i'm 17 and they are 12 and 9). thank you :mickey: :mickey:

cost per room will be less off site, but then you will need to add a cost of a rental car (if you are flying) to get around easier. With 5 people you will need two rooms no matter where you stay.

Disney's Fort Wilderness has cabins that sleep six and has a full kitchen. This can keep food costs down if you have breakfast in the room
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    My personal recommendation would be to stay on site. Many of the resorts offer the extra fold away bed if you want to fit into one room. There are many good things about staying onsite. The biggest thing, let Disney do the driving. Park will be open extra hour(s) on various days only for onsite guests.

When in June are you going?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Stay on property. I think I have posted before, I stayed off property once and got lost at night going back to my hotel (pre GPS) had to call the police to come get me out of a dangerous looking part of town and was bewildered and stressed driving in traffic there, On property is better, safer, easier and very cost efficient. I will never stay off property again, I just hope next trip I can splurge and stay at Polynesian or Grand Floridian.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yes, there are some bad sections of town. I grew up there and love Orlando, but am ashamed to admit it has its dangerous districts. If you don't know your way around be very cautious where you go.

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I would stay on site. I travel alone with my 2 boys (11,8) and I have always felt safe and secure.
    The CM's in the hotels are always more than happy to help you get somewhere off site x x

BigDan275 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My advice:

I learned the hard way, you stay off property you get a cheaper room, not by much, and then you can use the hotel shuttle right? Well, depending on where you stay the shuttle will stop at several hotels before it drops you off at yours, it took us exactly 2 hours to get back to our hotel becuase of the shuttle. So we decided to take county cab co., they were really good but it was 20 bucks to get to anywhere in the resort and you have to wait on them. Then, if you didn't rent a car, you have to find a way to get to a restaurant.

If you rent a car, you have to pay for parking and deal with traffic.

Staying on the resort..
    You get the benefits of the beautiful resorts, monorail transportation at some, and the convienent bus shuttle system that worked great for us. It truly is worth it to stay on resort, hands down, they just made it that way.

Hope this helps, but take my advice and stay on property!
    Disneyland Trips :14
    89 (Disneyland Hotel)
    91 (Fairfield in by Marriot)
    95 (Disneyland Hotel Suite overlooking Splash Mountain)
    96 (Hyatt Anaheim)
    98 (Anaheim Marriot)
    99 (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (new years) (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (Anaheim Marriot)
    01 (Anaheim Hyatt, Suite)
    02 (Anaheim Hilton)
    03 (Anaheim Hilton)
    04 (Anaheim Hilton/ Huntington Beach Hyatt)
    05 (Anaheim Hilton)
    06 (Anaheim Hilton)

Disneyworld
    04 (Hyatt Grand Cypress) <nice hotel!>
    Spring 07 (Off property, Lake Suites a.k.a. Roadkill Motel) Absolutely wonderful trip!!
    Fall 07 Oct 24th-31st Coronado Springs......amazing! I miss it!!

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    definately stay on property! its the best way to experience a Disney vacation. If your looking for the cheapest hotelss the the all star resorts or pop century are the way to go. You can book to adjoining rooms. they sllep 8
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would stay on property too. The resorts offer lots of great benifits like the shuttle service. You can also send purchaces from the parks back to your room and charge them on your room key. You'll never have to leave the Disney magic on your vacation, the themes of all the resorts are just awesome. It's wonderful. The gift shops have small, but convenient, little grocery areas.You also become eligable for extra magic hours (time either in the morning or at night when one of the parks are open exclusivly for those staying at a Disney resort). The food courts right at your hotel and are nice for a quick bite to eat. Disney's staff is always willing to help improve your experience in any way (with a few exceptions). In general, the resorts just add so much more pixy dust.

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Hey gang,

This thread is 3 years old

But all the advice you give is still good advice to those new folks wondering where to stay.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

rob3621 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by judycats View Post

Iv Been going to WDW forlike ever started in 1985 and iv stayed off premise. Feb of 2005 my family and i decided to stay inside the park. And ill tell you what We will NEVER EVEr stay anywhere else except inside the park. We didnt have to worry about anything disney took care of it all. We even add the dining plan and its the best thing we ever did. Best hotels ever
    1985 - 1998 WDW - Off Premise
    Feb 2005 1st Trip as a Family____ All Star Movie

Lets remind ourself of what Walt D himself says "Keep Moving Forward"

Britmick is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We have stayed offsite in a suite and a villa before. The suites were called the Homewood suites and used to be a Disney Good Neighbour hotel. They are still there but I think they are owned by someone else. They are just off I4 with the juction of the 192. There are other suites available. You get a kitchen which means you can make breakfast before setting off for the parks.

If you stay in a vacation home you need a rental car and some of the homes are a long way out but they have all the amenities. We stayed in one in just off the 192 close to World Drive and it was great as we could just go back for a rest and be back in Disney in 5 minutes.

By far the best is staying on property. Great themed hotels, pools and transport. That is why we eventually bought into the Disney Vacaction Club. You can still stay at DVC resorts if you are not a member and some of them such as Old Key West are really spacious.
    BRITMICK:mickey:

DVC Member Saratoga Springs 06

"I'm going to Disneyworld"

Like Brian said....you guys do realize that this thread is from back in May of 2004!?!?! I'm thinking that they may have already decided by now where they would like to stay!