Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Moving to Disney World in the Ask The Experts forums; OK...my office just authorized full telework, so I'm debating moving to Disney! Anybody done this and have tips? My main requirements in location are low crime, a quiet community (so ...
    wedway is offline A-Ticket holder

Moving to Disney World

OK...my office just authorized full telework, so I'm debating moving to Disney! Anybody done this and have tips?

My main requirements in location are low crime, a quiet community (so I can get work done), quick access to an airport, and a solid internet connection (DSL or FIOS). I haven't been able to find anything about good neighborhoods near the parks yet in my web searches...

langway4 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Moving to Disney World

You are going to have to choose what you think "quick access" to the airport means. If you live near the parks you are going to be 25 minutes from the airport. The Windermere area is just north of the Magic Kingdom and is very safe and low crime. It is also very quiet as it gets none of the tourist traffic which is amazing considering it's only 5 minutes away. The only noise you have to deal with are the fireworks every night!! If you want to be closer to the airport the Lake Nona area is great but then you'll be 25 minutes from the parks.

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

Agreed that it all depends on your definitions of the terms 'quick' and 'airport.' How quick and how large of an airport? MCO?

I'd check out Hunters Creek, its by The Loop shopping plaza north of Oceaola Parkway. Nice area, subdivisions of apartments, condos, townhouses, single family, ranch, etc. Also, and this would seem like a given, Celebration. Same deal in Celebration as far as variety, many types/price ranges of homes.

I almost moved to Hunters Creek a few years back, ended up not taking the job offer, may be another opportunity soon though, in which case I will be looking in the area again. There is another WDW podcaster that lives in Hunters Creek, and then if we both move there we could have neighborhood BBQs with Mickey shaped veggie burgers! ...or something.

If you want super quiet then Windermere or, if you wanna be out even further, Land O Lakes area (kills the airport thing though). You could also look into the older part of Winter Park, far W of UCF campus. It has some nice sidewalk shop looking area, very pedestrian friendly.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

The best part about Windermere is you can live by Tiger Woods!
    http://www.mapseeing.com/2007/04/15/...rmere-florida/
    What fun!
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

pajohnso is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi,

If you're considering the Lake Nona area (just on the other side of MCO as you're coming from Disney World) on 417:

We fell in love with Village Walk at Lake Nona - manned security gate, very quiet and you can walk to everything including the fitness center,tennis courts, and pools. They're still building new homes and, of course, there are resales.

The surrounding area is still developing but it sure seems like it will be "the place to be" in 5 years or so. It's about 15-20 mins to all the shopping in the Hunters Creek area via 417. And you can be on Disney property in 20 mins as well.

Oh, and we haven't tried the internet yet, but Brighthouse basic cable/DSL is included in the HOA fees.