Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss river country? in the Ask The Experts forums; hello, i saw a thing online saying river country was permitely closed, i wonderedi f anyone knew why? I only went once and didn't like it (nor did my parents) ...
    viks is offline A-Ticket holder

river country?

hello, i saw a thing online saying river country was permitely closed, i wonderedi f anyone knew why? I only went once and didn't like it (nor did my parents) but i was still suprised to see it had closed

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    River Country closed at the end of the season in 2001 and never reopened, partly due to the attendance issues as a result of 9/11. It was also due to problems with bacteria in the water, as it is directly connected to Bay Lake. Check out a couple of the River Country threads in our forums at www.disneyworldtrivia.com/forums .

Discovery Island has been surrounded by rumors for some time now. At one point, there were rumors of it being converted into a themed land based on the computer game "Myst" which never developed. It has recently been rumored to be converted into an exclusive, very upscale resort, including villas, etc. catering to the honeymooning crowd. To date, though, nothing has been finalized, and the once beautiful island sits abandoned.

viks is offline A-Ticket holder
    was that a place with animals on like large turtles (i have vague memories but can never fully work them out as to what the place was).

will check those threads out thanks

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by viks
    was that a place with animals on like large turtles (i have vague memories but can never fully work them out as to what the place was).

will check those threads out thanks
    You remember correctly. It was also home to large number of bird species, including the Bald Eagle
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yes, Discovery Island was a bird sanctuary - I remember having a large parrot on my arm for a picture and I'm wincing really badly in the photo because I was so sunburned and the bird was grabbing me...

I miss River Country. Truly. It was never as sardine-can packed as the other water parks, and the inner-tube slide was the best!
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I loved that inner-tube slide! I spent all day on that.