Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss All Star resort help? in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi, I'm making plans for a trip this summer with my wife and two boys(age 3 and 7). We are going to stay at an All Star resort, but have ...
    pkdaddy is offline A-Ticket holder

All Star resort help?

Hi, I'm making plans for a trip this summer with my wife and two boys(age 3 and 7). We are going to stay at an All Star resort, but have not picked one yet.We are thinking either Movies or sports. My oldest is a sport nut, loves the Bears ,Bulls and White Sox. My youngest is crazy about Buzz and Woody from toy story. Are ther any pros or cons of picking one over the other? Are the food courts the same? Do they get the same amount of busses to the parks? Any help would be great. Thanks.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: All Star resort help?

I don't think there's a massive difference in between the three, apart from ASMo is normally a little more expensive to stay at than ASMu and ASSp. Have done Music and Movies before and preferred the Music resort most of all, but as far as dining, rooms, etc. There wasn't a great deal of difference. If your son likes Toy Story, there is a whole section of rooms based around the films at ASMo - including a giant Buzz and Woody in the courtyard which makes for some great photo opportunities.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!

I've stayed at both Music and Movies...liked Music better. I've never stayed at Sports because I've heard that Sports is typically busier especially when cheerleading competitions or sports groups are appearing at WDW. It seemed like Sports was always last to be dropped off on the bus as well. We love Music for the theming, but there really isn't a difference between them. For another option, you may want to look into Pop Century. We stayed there last time and enjoyed the fact that the resort has it's own bus, rather than sharing with two others as the All-Stars do,
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Passarino6 View Post
    I've stayed at both Music and Movies...liked Music better. I've never stayed at Sports because I've heard that Sports is typically busier especially when cheerleading competitions or sports groups are appearing at WDW. It seemed like Sports was always last to be dropped off on the bus as well. We love Music for the theming, but there really isn't a difference between them. For another option, you may want to look into Pop Century. We stayed there last time and enjoyed the fact that the resort has it's own bus, rather than sharing with two others as the All-Stars do,
    Another vote for Pop here - this had the edge over All Stars for us and agree that the bus thing is a big bonus as you don't share with any other hotels.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder

I say Pop or Movies. They have mighty ducks for the sports fan and Buzz for your Toy Story fan
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Pop or Movies seem to be good choices for the reasons already stated. If you have your own car, you can negate the bus issue.

LensGrinder is offline B-Ticket Holder

Pop Century is the way to go!!
    "Remember, no man is a failure who has friends."

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

We have stayed in both. I prefer the Sports BUT there isn't a nickels worth of difference in them. If you stay in Sports you get picked up and dropped off first so more than likely you will get to sit for the ride.
    If you choose Movies, choose a preferred room. The walk of a non-prefered room possibly will be a long way from the lobby, food court and bus stops. We were actually closer to the bus stops of the Music resort and used those all the time we were there.
    We like the pool theming for Movies better than the Sports resort although we rarely use the pools. You will with small children and the summer time heat. I liked the food court better at Movies than the one at Sports but, again, not much difference. Just a better layout, IMO.
    As has been said here a couple of times, we really love Pop Century! That is where we will choose from now on. Not sharing a bus is worth it!
    I read where a lot of people don't use the bus system. They rent a car. We enjoy the buses. Although they get very crowded and you sometimes have to stand when you are very tired, we have met many nice people on the buses. We have some wonderful memories of riding and talking with other WDW freaks.
    I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice either way. They both offer the same basics. Have a great trip!!!
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

ALammers300 is offline A-Ticket holder

Agree with lots of advice here. Have stayed at both Movies (3 x with a dance group when I was in high school) and Pop 4x (with my mom twice and best friend twice). No Sports but I always wanted to stay away from it since it was the 'oldest' of the all star ones, but I don't know if it makes a difference. Movies has the whole Toy Story section, and the Mighty Ducks pool, but you can't guarentee getting into one of those sections, though, you'd probably have a good shot. Neither are the preferred section. I do say going to Pop would be the most fun and that way both boys will enjoy the decorations and craziness without feeling they are getting gipped and one of them getting their favorite and not the other. Pop is on its own bus line which is a HUGE benefit.
    October 1991-Polynesian
    October 1993-Port Orleans French Quarter
    October 1995-Port Orleans French Quarter
    May 1997-Beach Club
    February 2000-All Star Movies
    June 2000-Yacht Club
    February 2002-All Star Movies
    February 2003-All Star Movies
    April 2003-Yacht Club
    May 2004-Pop Century
    March 2006-Pop Century
    August 2008-Pop Century
    April 2010-Pop Century....and V&A's!
    August 2011-Pop Century....and V&A's!!!!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Our family is all about ASMo. At the age your kids are, I think they'd love it. The larger than life characters are great and, especially for your Buzz and Woody nut, the theming for the general movie of the area is awesome. That said... All Star Sports is right nextdoor so you could always either stay in both (easy to move your luggage) or, stay in one and tour the other.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

CMembersince94 is offline A-Ticket holder

I worked at music for a couple years, when it first opened (I was still only CT at the time because of high school), and in my current position, I'm at all of the resorts on a pretty regular basis. As far as "big" differences, there aren't any (aside from the themes).

As a Walt Disney Resort guest however, I can tell you that the facilities of three "All Star" resorts are available for use. Just make sure to keep your resort ID (room key) with you.

HamFam is offline A-Ticket holder

I feel bad for All Star Sports so its got my vote. You're going to have a blast no matter what. The theming at all of the values is so over the top, larger than life, that your boys will have a ball wherever you go. Unless your little one is anti-sports, I'd opt for All Star Sports because your 7 year old will remember it forever and your 3 year old will be in heaven the moment he sees Mickey as you pass through the WDW entrance. Have fun!