Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Main Street Wooden Indian (Native American) in the Ask The Experts forums; I've got a completely random question that I can't find an answer to, hopefully someone here has some input as this has been bothering me. Since my first trip to ...
    maceeight is offline A-Ticket holder

Main Street Wooden Indian (Native American)

I've got a completely random question that I can't find an answer to, hopefully someone here has some input as this has been bothering me. Since my first trip to WDW when I was 5 my dad and I have always taken a photo next to what I've always called the wooden Indian on Main Street USA during every trip. It's our version of the family growth chart some people make on the wall. I'm 31 one now and I now take the same picture with my 2 year old son. We just had our first trip with my parents down there and took the same photo with the 3 of us. I decided it would be a nice gift for my dad to frame the first photo, the first one of me and my son and the one of us all together. I was a great gift and he really appreciated it. However when I was putting it together I noticed that in the first photo the Indian is wearing a red cape and in the new one's he is wearing green. Upon further inspection the first photo looks like the statue is in Frontierland and not Main Street. The first photo was taken back in 1985 when I was 5 years old so obviously I don't remember it exactly but on every other trip growing up I remember taking the shot on Main Street USA.

Sorry for the long back story but I haven't been able to find another wooden Indian in Frontierland so I'm curious what happened here. Does anyone know if the Indian was moved and repainted at some point or were there at one point 2 of these in the park at one point (at least in 1985).

I know this is very random but these photos were a staple of my childhood trips and I'd love to know if we've been taking them by the same statue or if it changed up at some point.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any input

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Main Street Wooden Indian (Native American)

Wow, I think Lou just did a show with Jim Kourkis that mentioned this Cigar Indian. Sounds likr your first photo is from Frontierland.

The first photo is from Frontier Land but I can't find the Indian there anymore. I'm trying to figure out if it moved to Main Street or if that Indian disappeared from the park (or if it's there and I'm just missing it). If Lou did a podcast on it I'd love to read it. Do you remember when it was from??

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

There used to be an indian on Main Street back when there used to be a tobacco shop located there. After the shop was removed, they kept the indian around, but I'm not sure they cart it out any longer. It's possible that they moved it to a more meaningful location, now that the tobacco tie-in has been removed.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Mike... The Indian was there as of last summer because I took a photo of my g/f leaning over it the day we left... It is an interesting question because many people forge that the tobacco shop existed back then... Imagine... Cigarettes but no alcohol in the park....
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

And now today Joe, it's no tobacco, no alcohol, no Lotto, and no gum. Not even at the on-property gas stations, though I do not know if they sell alcohol or tobacco. But to stop at the Hess station and not be able to buy a Florida lottery ticket and a pack of gum...?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Does anyone know if there is still an indian in Frontierland?

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Still have a packet of matches somewhere with "Main Street Tobacconist" on the back

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney