Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Candlelight Processional Question in the Ask The Experts forums; For those that have gone before to this event do you have to book a dinner package to get to see it as it suggests on disney website or how ...
    petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

Candlelight Processional Question

For those that have gone before to this event do you have to book a dinner package to get to see it as it suggests on disney website or how early in advance should one be there if you don't do a dinner package so that you get to see this event.

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

Re: Candlelight Processional Question

Personally, I would not book a dinner package to see the Candlelight Processional. It is very expensive, you still have to stand in line to get in, and you're stuck with whatever the weather decides to do! We catch the Candlelight Processional usually several times every year, the lines are usually tolerable as long as you stay away from the middle show and try to avoid weekends. The shortest line will be for the first show, but it is still light outside, which takes away from the experience. The last show you'd probably want to get in line at least one hour before, but that usually means you get to hear the second show while waiting in line! You will most likely be sitting toward the back of the theater if you don't reserve a dinner package, but there's no guarantee of great seats. Once we were in the standby line, and ended up sitting one row behind the dinner package seats! If you don't reserve a dinner package, you have the flexibility of not waiting in line because of the crowds and/or weather. If you have to, you can always stand in the back outside of the theater, and listen to the CP. To us, it's not Christmas without the Candlelight Processional!
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards

If you want to go to the CP without a dinner package I recomend the first show, Everyone seems to think that waiting until it is dark already adds a little something, but from what I saw when I went to the first show I may like it better as you are there during sunset and actually see the transition from day to night during the show. and if you want to do the standby line for one of the later shows you will likely hear much of the show while you are waiting. I've walked straight out of the Biergarden Restaurant in Germany into the standby line and was seated in just a few minutes for the first show.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

weluvdisney1961 is offline A-Ticket holder

Wink Re: Candlelight Processional Question

I was at Disney Nov/Dec 2010 (flew on Thanksgiving evening)with 15yo son and 14yo nephew. I was very interested in seeing the CP for a variety of reasons: Christmas festivities; it was Disney; I work with performing arts in my school district; gospel message;etc.

However, I was not interested in the package deals due to: expense; didn't really fit our schedule; didn't want to be "locked in" to a particular evening if weather was bad, we were tired, etc.; and the boys really didn't want to see the show (even though I think they would have liked it okay) so those "package seats" would have been a waste of money.

Narrator was John O'Hurley ("J.Peterman" on Seinfeld; Family Feud host) and I am guessing it was either Nov 30 or Dec 1 (thereabouts..................Disney makes me lose track of time!!)

Therefore, I was willing (as a single viewer) to check the stand-by line and hope for the best. While the boys ventured around the park, I went to the stand-by line. There really were not many people in front of me. (I don't remember what time the show was, but it was not the last show.) I did get a seat in the back, but I could still see fairly well and the sound was fine. I would like to see it again, but don't think I would ever pay for the CP package personally, unless maybe my 70-something parents were traveling with us and wanted a guaranteed seat. Otherwise, I would "chance" the stand-by line and be willing to stand outside or sit across the way at the outdoor dining patio if need be. (But then again, I am one of those who will rarely spring for an expensive ticket to a Broadway show since sometimes the difference of $50 or $75 means those one or two rows in front of me paid so much more than I did!!)
    Last edited by weluvdisney1961; 07-16-2011 at 08:50 PM.

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

You can book CP package on the 26th... Dinner is approx 50 dollars upwards and lunch is 32.99 upwards.. I think if we book we'll be going with a lunch package!

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

We took my Mom with us to WDW this past December and doing the CP was a "must do" for that trip. So, we booked the Candlelight Processional Dining Package. We had a nice dinner at Biergarten. After dinner, we browsed some shops and then went to hop into the Dining Package line around 7:45 PM for the 8:15 PM show. We had to walk past the stand-by line to get to our Dining Package line. There was no way everyone in the stand-by line was getting a seat. The Dining Package line went from the America Gardens Theatre past the Japan Pavilion and into the Morocco Pavilion. Thankfully, the line moved pretty quickly. When I saw all the people, I was VERY glad we did the Dining Package.

If it is a "must do" . . .YES! I highly recommend booking the Dining Package. You are guaranteed a seat and you don't have to waste precious time in the stand-by line. To us, it was money well spent for our time and great seats. (second row!)

If it is something you might want to do, then I would wait and see what the crowds look like when you are there. For stand-by, I'd recommend waiting for the first show at least one and half hour before the show time (in peak season 2 hours at least!). Maybe, grab some counterservice food and have dinner while waiting in line. Just an idea.

Like previously mentioned, you may start booking the Candlelight Dinner Packages on July 26th. Call: 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463)
    (Note: You have to leave a credit card on file with the reservation.)

Have a magical trip!
    Last edited by TXTaylors5; 07-22-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Candlelight Processional Narrators

In case you wanted to know . . .

2011 Candlelight Processional Narrators
    11/25 - 11/27: Mira Sorvino
    11/28 - 12/01: Michael W. Smith
    12/02 - 12/03: Whoopi Goldberg
    12/04 - 12/06: TBA
    12/07 - 12/09: Isabela Rossellini
    12/10 - 12/12: Neil Patrick Harris
    12/13 - 12/14: TBA
    12/16 - 12/18: TBA
    12/19 - 12/21: Trace Adkins
    12/22 - 12/24: Susan Lucci
    12/25 - 12/27: Blair Underwood
    12/28 - 12/30: Marlee Matlin (Interpreter: Jack Jason)

We saw Whoopi Goldberg. She was fantastic!

Show Times: 5:00 pm, 6:45 pm and 8:15 pm

Last edited by TXTaylors5; 07-22-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

Candlelight Dinner Packages Pricing

In case you wanted to know . . .

2011 Candlelight Dinner Packages Pricing

Biergarten (Germany)
    Lunch: $32.99 (Adult) $17.99 (Child)
    Dinner: $50.99 (Adult) $25.99 (Child)

Chefs de France (France)
    Lunch: $51.99 (Adult) $13.99 (Child)
    Dinner: $64.99 (Adult) $17.99 (Child)

Coral Reef (The Living Seas)

Garden Grill (The Land)
    Dinner: $52.99 (Adult) $26.99 (Child)

La Hacienda de San Angel (Mexico)

Le Cellier Steakhouse (Canada)
    Lunch: $53.99 (Adult) $14.99 (Child)

Nine Dragons Restaurant (China)
    Lunch: $38.99 (Adult) $12.99 (Child)
    Dinner: $49.99 (Adult) $15.99 (Child)

Restaurant Marrakesh (Morocco)

Rose and Crown (UK)

San Angel Inn (Mexico)

Teppan Edo (Japan)

Tokyo Dining (Japan)

Tutto Italia (Italy)

Via Napoli (Italy)

(Note: The price does not include gratuity or taxes.)

Show Times: 5:00 pm, 6:45 pm and 8:15 pm
    5:00 pm show - ADRs will be from 1:45 - 2:45 pm (lunch)
    6:45 pm show - ADRs will be from 3:30 - 4:30 pm (dinner)
    8:15 pm show - ADRs will be from 5:00 - 6:00 pm (dinner)
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

If you choose not to do the Dining Package….I would get in line for the show you want to see…at least an hour prior to show time.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by dzneynut View Post
    Personally, I would not book a dinner package to see the Candlelight Processional. It is very expensive, you still have to stand in line to get in, and you're stuck with whatever the weather decides to do! We catch the Candlelight Processional usually several times every year, the lines are usually tolerable as long as you stay away from the middle show and try to avoid weekends. The shortest line will be for the first show, but it is still light outside, which takes away from the experience. The last show you'd probably want to get in line at least one hour before, but that usually means you get to hear the second show while waiting in line! You will most likely be sitting toward the back of the theater if you don't reserve a dinner package, but there's no guarantee of great seats. Once we were in the standby line, and ended up sitting one row behind the dinner package seats! If you don't reserve a dinner package, you have the flexibility of not waiting in line because of the crowds and/or weather. If you have to, you can always stand in the back outside of the theater, and listen to the CP. To us, it's not Christmas without the Candlelight Processional!
    Agreed. Usually I'll sit in the American Pavillion and listen for a while. It tends to get boring, so at some point, I am done listening and move on ayway.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

newarknut is offline A-Ticket holder

We have done the dinner package a couple times and would recommend it. It all depends on your priorities, though. I don't want to stand in a huge line without a guarantee of a seat. We have to eat anyway. Why not pay a little extra and get the bonus of secured seating for a wonderful show.

tyry is offline A-Ticket holder

We booked the package as we have just a short trip and I knew DH would really like seeing NPH as the narrator. Plus, it's our first time seeing the CP. Question for those that have booked the package in the past - how long before the show do we need to get into line? For standby I've seen anywhere from 1+hours, but what about the package line?

Thanks!

Ty
    Me DH Our pup
    May 1995 - 1st Trip! Offsite --- May 2000 - Ramada Offsite & POFQ --- Oct/Nov 2004 - POFQ, 1st MNSSHP on HALLOWEEN! --- Sept/Oct 06 11 days!!! WL, AKL --- Sept/Oct 08 - First Trip Home to AKV --- Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV --- Oct '10 BCV/AKV

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

The Dinner Package decreases the amount of time you have to wait in line. With the dinner package you probably will be okay 45-60 min. ahead of the showtime, without the package you need to be in line at least 1 hour ahead, if not 1.5 hours.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Even 45 minutes of standing around is way too much time to invest in that show. We've always been fine sitting outside, listening to a song or two and then moving on. There are cheaper dining experiences elsewhere.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.