Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Question About Cameras ! in the Ask The Experts forums; Quick question i have a family member going to WDW and Universal in 2 days and one of the concerns that has arisen is whether bringing a big camera is ...
    Ominusrex is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question About Cameras !

Quick question i have a family member going to WDW and Universal in 2 days and one of the concerns that has arisen is whether bringing a big camera is a good idea. They have one of the larger digital 35 mm cameras but the concern is if they are riding rides something may happen to it. So does anybody know what's the best and cheapest solution to that .

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes !

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Question About Cameras !

There's plenty of room in all attractions by your feet to fit a backpack. I carry my DSLR with me.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

DisneyGal04 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I've taken my Nikon D40 with me to the parks many times in a small backpack to hold it in while I'm on rides and I've never had problems with the backpack on the rides

Jessica Lynn

What about rides with water ?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I keep my digital cameras, including a video camera, in their own separate cases inside my backpack to prevent damage from jostling. for water rides, I put them in their cases into a large ziplock bag to keep them dry.

kretzcr is offline A-Ticket holder

You have to really soak a camera to damage too.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Ominusrex View Post
    Quick question i have a family member going to WDW and Universal in 2 days
    If he/she is planning on taking photos on the rides there, tell them not to bother.

They have become increasingly anti-camera as the years have rolled on, to the point now where Jaws skippers (invariably the worst Jaws skippers, I quickly add) will actually break character - both in terms of the role and in terms of the theme - to ensure you don't have cameras out, let alone in use. And I'm not just talking about "no flash photography", like at WDW, but "photography" full-stop.

That's the one thing I despise about USF. Not a place to bother bringing cameras, still and video alike. Disney, on the other hand, are wonderful in comparison.

What about rides with water ?
    I've been filming video at WDW since 2004 and I've yet to have something "ruined" by any of the water-based rides, and that is with a whole range of cameras. Don't quote me on that of course, and don't hold me responsible if their camera gets drenched! Just use common sense.

If they really want photos/video, I would personally recommend riding the attraction first to gauge just how wet it can get as something of an indication. They can then be the best judge as to whether or not it would be safe. Of course, they could just use the old trick of putting a freezer/sandwich bag over the working parts and then pulling it tight over the lens. I've done that a few times and it works fine if you get it right.

Don't worry about water rides at Universal because... as above... they will throw a fit if they see one out...
    Last edited by 20K; 04-21-2011 at 09:38 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

I agree with 20K
    The water rides at Disney didn't really usually soak my stuff but is that my luck? I'm not sure.

As for Universal I haven't been since 2004 but yeah they are pretty strict about pictures on the rides. I remember one ride interrupting the ride's music to say "No camera's"
    But if they want it for outside of the rides, I myself would be willing to put my camera in a big zip-loc bag for when I'm on the wet rides. That's just me

Jessica Lynn

The last time I was on JP River Adventure at IoA, one of the Team Members came over the P/A and said "Put your video camera away, guy in row 2" right as we were approaching the drop. Talk about killing the build-up, let alone the themeing...

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    The last time I was on JP River Adventure at IoA, one of the Team Members came over the P/A and said "Put your video camera away, guy in row 2" right as we were approaching the drop. Talk about killing the build-up, let alone the themeing...
    Wow serious kill joy! I don't see the problem of having a camera/video camera on a ride, I understand maybe the flash could possibly get annoying to others but other than that what's the problem?

Jessica Lynn

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I recently had a conversation with someone in the TV/movie industry that included various topics and it included theme park licensing of various properties, and one of the reasons photography may be allowed on some attractions and expressly forbidden on others in in fact the licensing requirements - they may require that no video of the attraction itself be permitted.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

I believe that is Universal's stated reason

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    If he/she is planning on taking photos on the rides there, tell them not to bother.

They have become increasingly anti-camera as the years have rolled on, to the point now where Jaws skippers (invariably the worst Jaws skippers, I quickly add) will actually break character - both in terms of the role and in terms of the theme - to ensure you don't have cameras out, let alone in use. And I'm not just talking about "no flash photography", like at WDW, but "photography" full-stop.

That's the one thing I despise about USF. Not a place to bother bringing cameras, still and video alike. Disney, on the other hand, are wonderful in comparison.

I've been filming video at WDW since 2004 and I've yet to have something "ruined" by any of the water-based rides, and that is with a whole range of cameras. Don't quote me on that of course, and don't hold me responsible if their camera gets drenched! Just use common sense.

If they really want photos/video, I would personally recommend riding the attraction first to gauge just how wet it can get as something of an indication. They can then be the best judge as to whether or not it would be safe. Of course, they could just use the old trick of putting a freezer/sandwich bag over the working parts and then pulling it tight over the lens. I've done that a few times and it works fine if you get it right.

Don't worry about water rides at Universal because... as above... they will throw a fit if they see one out...
    That's gonna make one of my nephews very unhappy

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

That's gonna make one of my nephews very unhappy
    i have heard this in Universal many times... look on youtube for videos on Universal... considering:

1. you will not find many
    2. you always hear an employee say something about the cameras
    3. they always seem to be hiding the camera from view until they are on an attraction
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

You will occasionally get lucky and wind up with a Team Member who couldn't care less about enforcing the no cameras rule.

- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast