Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW First Timer vs. Frequent visitor in the Ask The Experts forums; I've been to WDW 22 times in my 18 years of life and I would consider myself a Disney buff. I am taking my girlfriend of 4 years for her ...
    DHI
    DHI is offline C-Ticket Holder

WDW First Timer vs. Frequent visitor

I've been to WDW 22 times in my 18 years of life and I would consider myself a Disney buff. I am taking my girlfriend of 4 years for her first trip in January. What would you suggest I do differently for being with a first time visitor, being an experienced visitor?
    Wishin' I was in the World

What will you CELEBRATE!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: WDW First Timer vs. Frequent visitor

Hmm...tough question. Probably a lot of opinions.

I think WDW can be a lot to process for a first timer...you certainly want them to "see everything", but if you aren't careful and do it too aggressively you can burn them out on it.

Use your knowledge of things like Fastpasses, hints, etc. to plan - but for be sure to enjot the queues that are worth it - especially taking in to account her particular interests.

If your trip is long enough, leave in some "free time" - use it to revisit things she liked, or catch things you might have missed. If not, just note things to do, you know, on the next trip...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

As you're doin attractions for her very first time, watch her face as she's experiencing the magic. Its as if you're seeing it for the first time all over again and os quite magical for you. I did that in Disneyland just last Saturday!
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

DHI

thanks for the opinions! We are looking at going for probably 6 nights so there will be plenty of time. Unfortunately, we can't afford to add on the park hopper option so we are doing only 1 park per day, doing Magic Kingdom twice.

What will you CELEBRATE!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Use your knowledge to avoid bottlenecks and long line, and slow down to give her a chance to experience what is new to her, but old to you. Share the little details with her. Take breaks when you need to so long days stay enjoyable days.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by DHI View Post
    thanks for the opinions! We are looking at going for probably 6 nights so there will be plenty of time. Unfortunately, we can't afford to add on the park hopper option so we are doing only 1 park per day, doing Magic Kingdom twice.
    I would have avoided the park hopper anyways in this case. Stay at the park and take it easy instead of trying to rush through it to then hop to somewhere else.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I've taken 1st timers quite a few times now. One of the things I've made sure to do is point out the stuff that 1st timers typically miss. Things that are "less obvious" like the windows on Main Street etc.

Another thing to do with a 1st timer that is fun is look for Hidden Mickey's. It keeps your newbie guest looking around and catching all the wonder that is WDW rather than just focusing on one ride after another.

Oh and definitely schedule yourself a character meal. It's a chance to see the characters truly interact vs. standing still as a line moves toward them to have an autograph book signed.

Last piece of advice... take your time. You know the parks and are more likely to be able to navigate quickly to get as much in as possible. Take the time to slow down and let your gf take it all in.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Best advice I can give is to be smart. You're experienced, so you know what to do and where everything is. Like, don't sacrifice going on Test Track to do Universe of Energy, or Space Mountain for Stitch's Great Escape. Get things you know have to be done first, then get to the lesser popular things later on. Just make sure to show her around everything, but don't make it seem as overwhelming as it can be.

Regardless, I think your girlfriend will enjoy herself no matter what since she's never been.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

it ook my g/f last year, and she was a first timer herself... make sure the first thing you have to do is visit magic kingdom AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE!!! there is nothing like seeing their faces as they actually see the castle the first time... past that i agree with NJ... be smart... use your experiences in the parks as a guide to make her first time special... watching Wishes from the California Grill might be a special touch...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"

I would advise her to do a little research before she goes. Maybe look at some maps to get the lay of the land and that way she will be able to be more observant of her surroundings. I always do research on a place before I go on a trip and it helps tremendously.

DHI

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post

Oh and definitely schedule yourself a character meal. It's a chance to see the characters truly interact vs. standing still as a line moves toward them to have an autograph book signed.

Last piece of advice... take your time. You know the parks and are more likely to be able to navigate quickly to get as much in as possible. Take the time to slow down and let your gf take it all in.
    I would most definitely like to take her to a character meal, unfortunately, we're both college students and money is tight everywhere you look.

I think your last bit of advice is going to be my biggest obstacle. But I will work through it!

Thanks for all the great tips everyone!

What will you CELEBRATE!

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

this is going to be the same question for me next year, ive been there soo many times in my 19 years of life lol and my gf has never . its going to be crazyy, I would just take it slow and enjoy it and not try to see eveything in one trip. Deff plan it out so u know what to do everyday your there
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Since you know the lay of the land, leave navigating the parks to you and let her go with the flow for a worry-free vacation. Show her the park maps online and have her make a "must do" list for each park. From there, you can plan out getting fastpasses and how to tour the parks. She's going to be very impressed with you when you are whizzing past the guests in the stand-by line with your fastpasses.

Magic Kingdom Park Map
    Epcot Park Map
    Disney's Hollywood Studios Park Map
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Map

Since a character meal is out of the question, find out if there are any special characters she wants to meet. They're are plenty of meet and greet opportunities in each park. I think I even saw a list from a post on another thread. So, if you need to find a certain character, ask on here. Someone is sure to give you a list of where they can be found. They now have the FP option at the MK to meet Mickey, Minnie and some of the princesses. So, that would be a timesaver too.

Don't forget to get her a "My First Visit" pin upon check-in!
    (Do they still do the celebration pins? I heard a rumor they were going to stop them. But, never heard anymore about it. Does anyone know?)

Have a magical trip!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"