Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Random Building in the Lake? in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok so I was playing around in Google Earth, looking at WDW (duh what else is there to look at right?) and was poking around looking at the sea wall ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Random Building in the Lake?

Ok so I was playing around in Google Earth, looking at WDW (duh what else is there to look at right?) and was poking around looking at the sea wall that is left from the old (now sunken) wave machine over by the Poly. I notice a little building on the island off to the SouthEast of the wall. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Sattelite view of island/location:

Close-up on sea wall and the building:

I'm thinking maybe it was some sort of control center for the wave machine maybe?
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 06-01-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Re: Random Building in the Lake?

love google earth for disney trips!!

sorry i dont know off the top of my head what that building is!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I'm reading Realityland now and think you might be right. That could be the controls on the "island that was washing away."

What a great book that is! Love that book! Can't say enough about it! LOL

I agree that it could be the controls. If anything, with it's location, I'd think it has to have something to do with the wave machine. I just want someone to say "Yep I used to work in that building!" LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

There are various structures on a few of the islands. On the one just to the northeast, they appear to have some sort of setup for agriculture or wildlife, from what I've seen of various angles. But given the location it does seem like some sort of control or power room for the old wave machine. No idea where it got power from though...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    There are various structures on a few of the islands. On the one just to the northeast, they appear to have some sort of setup for agriculture or wildlife, from what I've seen of various angles.
    You must be talking about this:

I've always wondered what that was as well. The interesting part is, there is no dock of any sort, only a roped off area to the Southeast where I'm guessing they don't want rented boats going (probably due to it being shallow or because of that big bushy thing?).

But given the location it does seem like some sort of control or power room for the old wave machine. No idea where it got power from though...
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    You must be talking about this:

I've always wondered what that was as well. The interesting part is, there is no dock of any sort, only a roped off area to the Southeast where I'm guessing they don't want rented boats going (probably due to it being shallow or because of that big bushy thing?).
    Yup...but no dock on the other island either...it could have been removed, or they did it the "old fashioned" way and beached the boat.

Last I looked at the Bing birds-eye views of those "crates", they moved around in different angles, so it seemed like they actively worked there, at least occasionally.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Yup...but no dock on the other island either...it could have been removed, or they did it the "old fashioned" way and beached the boat.
    Oh yeah I'm sure if there was one, at least on the "wave machine" island, it's gone now. Just, if you see things moving around on the other, I'm doubly curious now! LOL

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Looking at WDW through Google Maps is amazing...and Google Earth even better (since the buildings in WDW go up in 3D) and it's fun to try to look for things that are dormant and such (like River Country)

And many of those islands both in the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake have controls for stuff, or random buildings for storage and other controls or what not...so your guess is as good as mine there, that specific building is probably isa control building of some sort
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post
    Looking at WDW through Google Maps is amazing...and Google Earth even better (since the buildings in WDW go up in 3D) and it's fun to try to look for things that are dormant and such (like River Country)
    I started an album yesterday to catch things as they change for just that reason! River Country is out there! LOL

Satellite Images pictures by bamajen - Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I started an album yesterday to catch things as they change for just that reason! River Country is out there! LOL

Satellite Images pictures by bamajen - Photobucket
    If you haven't updated Google Earth in a while, there is a new feature in version 6 - it allows you to see past sat images, and even move a slider to see through the years.

When it's running, look down at the bottom left of the image area, and there is a date. Click on that, and you should be able to select another date, and the slider will appear in the upper left.

It's pretty neat, especially when they've captured construction in various stages.
    Doc

If you haven't updated Google Earth in a while, there is a new feature in version 6 - it allows you to see past sat images, and even move a slider to see through the years.

When it's running, look down at the bottom left of the image area, and there is a date. Click on that, and you should be able to select another date, and the slider will appear in the upper left.

It's pretty neat, especially when they've captured construction in various stages.
    Oh I am SO going to have to do that because I was irritated when the shots of Fantasyland I grabbed showed the construction had begun. I wanted it pre-wall.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

had to be the control room for the wave machine and the power was more then likely ran under the lake
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

google earth is awesome for images like these... it seems Disney has a bunch of these control "huts"... this one must be for the wave machine... anyway to sneak on the island and turn the machine back on...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/