Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss To split, or not to split?? in the Ask The Experts forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe One of the times we split it was going from POR (which we love also) to the Contemporary. We had to be out of POR by ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: To split, or not to split??

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    One of the times we split it was going from POR (which we love also) to the Contemporary. We had to be out of POR by 11am however our room was not ready until 4pm at Contemporary. Our kids were younger and being homeless was a pain. We had to leave for dinner ressies without a room and we didn't get back until late.
    That becomes the issue with switching halfway through your trip... Unfortunately I don't think this can be avoided... More like luck of the draw...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

That's when you head to Downtown Disney for a few hours. Or, just check out and spend the day as you normally would at the parks or whatever. Then, instead of going back to your old room, you go to your new one. It's really not as big a deal as you'd think. I do it all the time. Works out perfectly.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

yeh... see i think it works better for adults on a vacation... i think the only people who would run into a problem is people with young children... otherwise yes... a trip downtown and some time in the parks will be more than enough time in between...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Exactly. We're talking four to five hours. Not a half day. Barely half of half a day.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

newarknut is offline A-Ticket holder

I think enough info has been given here but I'll chime in anyway...

We've done a couple switches and it's never been a big deal. Our luggage got transferred by Disney and our day was structured such that the later check in wasn't a big deal. With the online check in, you could be all checked into your second resort before you ever leave home!

Having little ones does put a few checks in the "don't do it" column. If you are really looking forward to staying at the 2nd resort...go for it!

Later...

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

We're not in favor of split stays.....we did one once.....cured us of splits...

With that said, I'd really never consider a aplit on a 6 night stay.......

Our split was from AKL to the Poly (Poly didn't have all the nights we wanted)....we didn't care for AKL and checked out as early as we could....gave luggage and food/beverages supplies to Bell Service....and bused to the Poly. Our room was not available at check in so there we were, no luggage, food or beverages.....not my idea of a good switch....we had not planned on a park that day but wanted to move into our room, swim, few drinks and an evening at the MK....The idea of going to the parks or DTD and getting all sweaty and heat tired and returning to no room again is not to our liking (never know when the second room will be ready) so we wasted the day sitting around the resort waiting (our swim gear was packed (and they didn't tell us not to be delivered until at least 3 pm)

There seemed to be some problem with the room, didn't get it until 4 pm.....luggage and other essentials didn't arrive until after 5pm....so we were roomless and bagless for the day.....a wasted day!

We're the kind of people that move into a room and set it all up how we want....load the fridge....set up the DVD player....unload the suitcases...and use and enjoy the resort facilities....living out of a suitcase for a split move isn't us.....checking in, checking out and doing it again, isn't us......we like non chaos, trouble free relaxing vacations and we're on property usually 9-12 nights....would we consider another split...no! That one was forced, if our vacation had to be split because of not enough nights are available at our prime resort....we'll reschedule to another time or make the trip shorter....we have no ambition to see or stay in all the resorts....if another resort interests us....we'll stay there on another trip.....splits are a waste of time and energy and we see no benefit in doing them...

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post
    We're not in favor of split stays.....we did one once.....cured us of splits...

With that said, I'd really never consider a aplit on a 6 night stay.......

Our split was from AKL to the Poly (Poly didn't have all the nights we wanted)....we didn't care for AKL and checked out as early as we could....gave luggage and food/beverages supplies to Bell Service....and bused to the Poly. Our room was not available at check in so there we were, no luggage, food or beverages.....not my idea of a good switch....we had not planned on a park that day but wanted to move into our room, swim, few drinks and an evening at the MK....The idea of going to the parks or DTD and getting all sweaty and heat tired and returning to no room again is not to our liking (never know when the second room will be ready) so we wasted the day sitting around the resort waiting (our swim gear was packed (and they didn't tell us not to be delivered until at least 3 pm)

There seemed to be some problem with the room, didn't get it until 4 pm.....luggage and other essentials didn't arrive until after 5pm....so we were roomless and bagless for the day.....a wasted day!

We're the kind of people that move into a room and set it all up how we want....load the fridge....set up the DVD player....unload the suitcases...and use and enjoy the resort facilities....living out of a suitcase for a split move isn't us.....checking in, checking out and doing it again, isn't us......we like non chaos, trouble free relaxing vacations and we're on property usually 9-12 nights....would we consider another split...no! That one was forced, if our vacation had to be split because of not enough nights are available at our prime resort....we'll reschedule to another time or make the trip shorter....we have no ambition to see or stay in all the resorts....if another resort interests us....we'll stay there on another trip.....splits are a waste of time and energy and we see no benefit in doing them...
    Ah...you seemed to fall under the assumption that if you check in early they will give you the first available room in that class...not at Disney!

The key to handling a split stay is to first assume that you will NOT have a room at the other resort until at least 5pm and possibly later. That's another Disney-ism - even though check-in is at 3 or 4pm, that doesn't mean your room is ready. Nowhere else have I had to wait past check-in time for my room.

So if you have plans during your transfer, you need to make sure you have everything you need kept with you - change of clothes, swimwear, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Since this is your wife's first trip to WDW, I might keep it simple and stay in one resort. I highly recommend the Beach Club or Boardwalk. You cannot beat the location to Epcot AND DHS. We love it!!!! My husband and I are staying at the BCV in September!

We have done a split-stay a few times in the past (Much to my displeasure, but it was the only way we could use our DVC points that allowed us to stay two weeks a couple of times.) I am the packer of the family. I did NOT enjoy packing and repacking and that was after a week in one WDW resort and we moved to another resort for the second week. Now, the only time we do a split-stay is if we do a Disney cruise. We stay at one resort before the cruise and another resort after the cruise. Besides that, I will NEVER do a split-stay again. It honestly broke up the vacation into two parts and with a vacation of six days, it may cut into some valuable park time or relaxation time. JMHO

Since you are driving, you have the luxury of visiting any resort at your whim. I'd recommend driving to the WL for a meal or just to see the resort.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Ah...you seemed to fall under the assumption that if you check in early they will give you the first available room in that class...not at Disney!

The key to handling a split stay is to first assume that you will NOT have a room at the other resort until at least 5pm and possibly later. That's another Disney-ism - even though check-in is at 3 or 4pm, that doesn't mean your room is ready. Nowhere else have I had to wait past check-in time for my room.

So if you have plans during your transfer, you need to make sure you have everything you need kept with you - change of clothes, swimwear, etc.
    All well and good but we're veterans, 44 trips to WDW and are well aware of the logistics and check in procedures......many a trip we're gotten our room early, more the norm for us since we vacation at off and value seasons....

The draw back is being in a resort not really toyour liking (ours was AKL) and wanting to leave and get to the resort we preferred.....this was about 10 years ago, splits were new and the methods not well published (for us a least).....we're not about to pack for breaking up our vacation into 2 parts....and as I said....we see no pluses in doing a split....we're just as happy in the first choice resort we pick, and like to get onto the relaxing and enjoyment of keeping the check in and unpacking process to a one time deal.....

Others may enjoy the whole process, moving and what not....but it's not as carefree and casual was most promote....even planning and knowing the process....coming back to the second resort and finding it not ready after a hot hectic day in a park you're left waiting......hot, sweaty and ready for a pool dip to wait until you're called and then to wait for your baggage till who knows what time....not something I prefer to do on vacation....those that enjoy splits....more power to them....but to those that are comtemplating their forst....be aware of the processes and time frames of being roomless and bagless for the day....

but understand people who do splits may be doing it because the cost is too great to stay at a deluxe resort for their entire stay... splitting allows them to have a few days in the deluxe without having to cripple their savings in the process...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

On our longer trips we try to schedule in a "down day" or two mid-way. If we were considering a split stay, it would of course take place on that day, and we'd plan that day appropriately (and like I said earlier, take what we need), but more than likely it involves DTD, which only requires a wallet

We've only actually done the split once though as a DVC points-saving measure. However, at that time I had issues with our room assigned at AKL, and they wanted to move us to another room - in two days, which would have cost us more time packing, unpacking, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    We've only actually done the split once though as a DVC points-saving measure.
    That's exactly why we did it too.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12