Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss To split, or not to split?? in the Ask The Experts forums; So my wife and I keep going back and forth with each other on which resort to stay at on our next trip(her first). I'm thinking BC because of the ...
    BeachClub2011 is offline A-Ticket holder

To split, or not to split??

So my wife and I keep going back and forth with each other on which resort to stay at on our next trip(her first). I'm thinking BC because of the proximity to Epcot (especially for the dining) and DHS, and we both agree that our girls would love Stormalong Bay and Beaches n' Cream, but we both love the grandeur of WL. Not to mention my wife is from the pacific northwest and misses it dearly, especially during the Texas summers!!! Add in the fact that MK is a boat ride away, we lean heavily towards WL.

My questions are these: Should we split a six night stay between BC and WL? What are the pros and cons to changing resorts mid trip? Are there any major headaches that come along with doing the split? How does it affect things like the dining plan and park hopper tickets??

I would love to hear any and all input as well as personal experiences. Thanks!

Previous trips: Disneyland '87, '88, '90x2
    Disneyland Paris '94- Sequoia Lodge
    WDW '95-Dixie Landings, '96-Disney Institue, '97-Caribbean Beach, '98-Old Key West, '99-Coronado Springs

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Re: To split, or not to split??

When considering if you want to switch hotels mid-stay, consider what type of vacation you are planning. Will you have a day where you can take a few hours to pack up everything, move it, and unpack it again? How about shopping? Will you have a lot of souveniers etc. that tend to get set in the room, that you'd also have to move?

Personally, I wouldn't consider a resort swap unless I was staying 9 or 10 days. We get way too "comfortable" in our room once we've checked in and having to pack up and start that over again is just sort of a pain for us. This is especially the case because we tend to do a big shopping trip at DtD in the first day or two and fill our room with stuff.

Another thing to consider is, how are you arriving? Are you driving? Flying? Using the Magic Express or a rental car? If you're driving yourselves with your own vehicles, a swap would be much easier. If you're flying in and using the Magic Express you definitely want to be sure that you have your drop off/pick up stuff all figured out.

Lots to consider I know and I'm sure 100 other people will offer more advice.

Welcome to the boards!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Thanks for the welcome and your input BamaJenn, it is much appreciated!!! I can say that we will have our own vehicles that might make it easier, but I'm concerned about time spent checking in to another resort. That might interfere with a nap/swim break for the kids.

WDW '95-Dixie Landings, '96-Disney Institue, '97-Caribbean Beach, '98-Old Key West, '99-Coronado Springs

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by BeachClub2011 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and your input BamaJenn, it is much appreciated!!! I can say that we will have our own vehicles that might make it easier, but I'm concerned about time spent checking in to another resort. That might interfere with a nap/swim break for the kids.
    Having your own vehicles is definitely a checkmark in the "do it" column but yeah, you have to figure between packing, checking out/in and then unpacking, a big part of your day is taken up. Your wife and the kids could always do their swim thing while you do it all dad.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

That's what being a dad is all about, doing the dirty work so the family can relax!!!!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

On the dining plan...I know some people do a "split" stay - even at the same resort - so they don't need to pay for the DDP for the whole stay - of course, you need to use the dining credits by the end of the day of "checkout" for that reservation.

Since you received DDP credits based on the number of nights, not days, on your reservation, if you got the DDP for each segment of your stay it would still be the same number of credits. The problem is that you have to have used up all of your credits from the first segment by the end of the day that segment ends...you can't hoard them from one segment into the other...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

I always enjoy resort hopping but for just a 6 night stay I'd have to think twice about that. If you guys are early risers and have your bags already packed the night before you transfer you shouldn't have any problems though. Even if you arrive too early for check in at your second resort you can have them hold your bags and then go hit the parks.

Bottom line is if you guys are torn between which resort to stay then just do the split stay. It'll give you a taste of both resorts then you can decide which one you like best.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

You can have the hotel transfer your luggage. It only cost us the tip and was well worth it. Another "issue" may be that if you need your dining plan or your day's tickets with your plan, you will have to go over to the new hotel to get it. Just another thing to consider.

But over all, moving over to another hotel wasn't that bad of an experience.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

BTW- one 5 day trip I was in 3 different hotels. That was a bit much-

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think you'll be fine using Disney's transfer between hotels, especially if you plan your park visits for MK and AK while at WL, then enjoy Epcot and DHS while at BC.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Make sure that if you do decide to switch mid-vacation, make your second hotel your grand one... If your gonna split between like Poly and Pop for example... make Poly the second half... it sounds simple but you do not want to make the trip seem to "end" because your moving from an awesome resort to an "ehhh" resort... just figured id through my little advice in for you...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I always split, but it's only for my last night. I stay at Saratoga Springs Grand Stand area because I love the longer walk over to Downtown Disney before I head back to the airport.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

yeh... see i would split... but most times i am renting points from a DVC member so i dont wanna be a pain... last year i stayed at VWL... this year we are doing OKW... we shall see...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Make sure that if you do decide to switch mid-vacation, make your second hotel your grand one... If your gonna split between like Poly and Pop for example... make Poly the second half... it sounds simple but you do not want to make the trip seem to "end" because your moving from an awesome resort to an "ehhh" resort... just figured id through my little advice in for you...
    I concur with this...a couple years ago we split between a 1BR at AKL and a room at POR for just two nights. We felt cramped at POR after AKL (of course having the 1BR contributed), but we did love POR, especially that we were really close to the main building. If we split again, it will be the other way.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

One of the times we split it was going from POR (which we love also) to the Contemporary. We had to be out of POR by 11am however our room was not ready until 4pm at Contemporary. Our kids were younger and being homeless was a pain. We had to leave for dinner ressies without a room and we didn't get back until late.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast