Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Kick it up a notch ...or more! in the Ask The Experts forums; 4 days, 2 rooms at Pop Century coming up soon (29 days as of today) and I have a few questions. 1. I "need" connecting rooms. I would "like" them ...
    Billwht3 is offline A-Ticket holder

Kick it up a notch ...or more!

4 days, 2 rooms at Pop Century coming up soon (29 days as of today) and I have a few questions.
    1. I "need" connecting rooms. I would "like" them near the bus/foodcourt/pool but not directly facing a pool and not higher than 2nd floor.(I know it's a lot to ask but I don't expect them to be able to do everything I hope for this is just my wish list) My question is when and where is the best time to present this? Should I call? Is there a place in the "Online check in" process? Should I wait til I'm standing at the checkin point in the lobby?

2. I'm taking 3 grandchildren, ages 3, 9 and 10 for their first time ever and other than a character breakfast what other special surprises are there? I know the front monorail car isn't allowed anymore but what about something else? Is it possible to sit with the engineer on the MK train for example?

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Kick it up a notch ...or more!

You should have your room requests noted on your reservation. Call back the reservations line and get it added. Nothing is guaranteed though, and you should prioritize - connecting rooms first, location second.

Does POP have true connecting rooms? I've only stayed there for brief times, and I just can't remember a connecting door.

As for location...those buildings closest the lobby are marked as "preferred", and they cost more, but those facing away from the feature pool might not be, I'm not sure if the entire building is designated preferred or not.

Could you perhaps make due with a family suite over at All-Star Music Resort instead? It might be late to book one but they sleep 6.

By waiting until check-in, you are less likely to get any of your preferences, although they might be able to switch you around depending on how busy it is.

As for the more unique special things, typically it involves being at the right place at the right time - there usually isn't a tried and true way of being picked for anything.

If they like Star Wars, the two oldest can participate in the Jedi Training Academy, where a Jedi Master will teach them how to use a lightsaber - and they'll find themselves facing Darth Vader! It's at DHS and you need to get their relatively early to sign up. It's first come, first served signups for shows throughout the day. (The age limit is 4-12)

Also, at the MK be sure to have them try to draw the sword from the stone right by the Carousel. You never know...sometimes a kid can pull it out...
    Last edited by doconeill; 07-15-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Kick it up a notch ...or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Billwht3 View Post
    4 days, 2 rooms at Pop Century coming up soon (29 days as of today) and I have a few questions.
    1. I "need" connecting rooms. I would "like" them near the bus/foodcourt/pool but not directly facing a pool and not higher than 2nd floor.(I know it's a lot to ask but I don't expect them to be able to do everything I hope for this is just my wish list) My question is when and where is the best time to present this? Should I call? Is there a place in the "Online check in" process? Should I wait til I'm standing at the checkin point in the lobby?
    First off, the very LAST thing you want is a room near a bus. I was placed in a room right outside a bus loop at Saratoga Springs, and the busses were running all night. They don't sound like much during the day. But try hearing them rumble past your room all night long when it's otherwise silent at night. Now I ask them to put me AWAY from the bus stop. Don't mistaken a bit of convenience for the sake of your rest. You are only at the bus stop twice during the day. You NEED that good night's sleep. You'll be doing plenty of walking at the parks. Being lazy at the hotel is not necessary.

Second, and I didn't see if anyone answered so exuse me if this has already been stated. You can ask on the phone and they'll put a note in. But rooms are not reserved (I'm sure they are hit with tons of wacky requets and they cannot accommodate every needy person who calls up. Put in your request so that it's on file, and then see if they can help you out when you check in.

Good luck!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.