Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Can it really be true? Resort pricing in the Ask The Experts forums; Originally Posted by supernova If your mortgage is less than $900 monthly, I want YOUR mortgage. Mine was never $900 either even with a 9.5% interest rate then. It is ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Can it really be true? Resort pricing

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    If your mortgage is less than $900 monthly, I want YOUR mortgage.
    Mine was never $900 either even with a 9.5% interest rate then. It is called saving for a hefty down payment and working 2 jobs to save for a decent down payment.

Now I'll gladly give you two University tuition payments. lol
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks, Doc. I've thought of renting points before, too. But the nature of the transaction requires trust. I guess you can get references? I just wonder how to safely do this. Any advice is welcome.

As far as our mortgage was concerned, we were just blessed enough to sell our house 7 or so years ago at a point when it was a seller's market and made enough profit on it that we put down a pretty decent down-payment on our current little home. I happen to think we got it for a good price, regardless of all the work we did, and we have an acre and a half. And of course, the economy being what it is, the rate adjusts down each year.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by julielizabet View Post
    Thanks, Doc. I've thought of renting points before, too. But the nature of the transaction requires trust. I guess you can get references? I just wonder how to safely do this. Any advice is welcome.
    You can always ask for references, but I don't put a lot of stock in them. Slightly better can be go to forums like these and find people who have dealt with some of them before. I don't know if it is allowed here, but DISboards has a rent/trade forum just for this. Still, you have to be careful - they are still private transactions and people have been conned.

If I was doing it myself, and I couldn't find anyone I would consider trustworthy, I'd consider paying the premium and going through a broker. There is at least some level of protection. I have not personally dealt with any of them, but I hear good things about David's Vacation Club Rentals (and I am most definitely not affiliated with him, he's just well spoken of on the forums I inhabit). I'd still do searches to see what you would be comfortable with.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

thank you, i'll look that broker up!

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile DVC rental and benefits

I own at 3 DVC resorts and this year I actually rented out 300 of our points thru dvcrental.com . It required trust on my end that the person renting wouldn't stiff me, but we rented in 3 transactions and they all went smoothly. I think he rents for around $12 per point.

I also have 4 kids and we stay in a 2BR villa every time. To say it's luxury is an understatement. We eat a lot in the room (most breakfasts's in room; I cook and freeze meals then take to WDW for most dinners). We make PBJ's a lot for lunch on the go. We eat out, but it's over $200 for us to eat a meal. so we splurge a few meals and eat in the rest.

The biggest perk??? Laundry is CLEAN before I get home. the washer and dryer are HUGE perks! all DVC pools are awesome and you can pool hop to some pools. The space is amazing. When it was 5 of us, we loved the Poly like you. But a 2BR villa is totally the way to go and if you drive, staying at OKW or SSR you can park right outside your room (no valet) and using your car is a snap.
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

CindyMouse6,

Thank you soooo much for your information and opinions. I really do appreciate that.

I would love to rent points directly from a DVC owner and save a bit of money, but the trust issue for me would be agonizing. So I'd rather spend more and go through a broker. I did contact the one suggested earlier in the thread and they were super responsive and helpful. I was impressed. I think it was around $13/point. High, knowing that you can rent for as low as $9-10/point if you're lucky and look hard enough.

Personally, I'm not interested in driving when I go to WDW, so if we exclude that from the list of "perks," which would YOU say is your favorite DVC resort? For me, both ambiance and transportation convenience are my priorities, which is why I've considered the Villas at WL and BLT at the top of my list. For your family of four, where would you recommend? I would love your opinion.

Thanks so much, again,
    Julie

You say you're going late Nov/early Dec. and there are 6 of you. We have 6 as well. If not driving, the WL can't be beat. BLT is amazing but it has to be your home resort to be able to book 11 months in advance -- for me, we sold Boardwalk points to buy BLT points.... our first trip we booked 11 months in advance and got a MK view -- it was totally worth it! but if I didn't have that view, it wouldn't have been worth it for me. Here are some pluses of each:

WL: the ambiance at Xmas is stunning. Fireplace and rocking chairs... need i say more? great restaraunts within the lodge itself. It is just breathtaking. Downside for me: have to ride a boat (in the cold wind) to MK. that's about it. You can book sleigh rides (way in advance) around FW so it's convenient to do that. If you get a 2BR dedicated room, it is HUGE! For the holidays, it is just Xmas! Great counter service food; artist's pointe -- awesome. You need to go just the 2 of you since it is so convenient.

BLT: only true advantage is walking distance to MK, and of course access to the rooftop fireworks viewing lounge.. only open to guests staying there. Make sure non-DVC members can reserve a spot there. We walked over to the contemporary a lot and loved the shops and restaraunts there as well. It has a nice kid's center with activites and video games -- I'm sure WL does too -- just haven't used that yet. counter service food is poor.... if even open that time of year. had to walk over to contemporary -- that was a drag. WL has great counter service food.

I would vote for WL because I love Xmas and it is decorated beautifully. Be sure to hotel hop and see the decor at others resorts. We took our own gingerbread/candy display tour -- ask which resorts participated that year and go look at their displays. amazing!

hope this helps!
    cindymouse6
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Don't discount BCV or BWV as well. Proximity to Epcot and walkable distance/boat to DHS gets you two convenient parks. If you have park hoppers, you can always go over to Epcot for a nightcap
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

very true... and BWV are my fav at Xmas between the 2, but BCV are closer walking distance to Epcot. We find that we spend much more time at Epcot during Xmas than any other park. so walking into the back of Epcot is great, and Boardwalk is beautifully decorated. both have good gyms for workouts. Both have room service. Boardwalk on Fri/Sat nights are really fun!
    cindymouse6

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by julielizabet View Post
    We almost rented points for an upcoming trip but decided not to when I found out there is NO CANCELLATION policy when doing this. Didn't like that aspect at all. Also didn't like not being in control of my reservation if done this way.

It's definitely worth renting the golf cart at FW if you decide to stay there. Not absolutely necessary but a nice convenience factor.

Golf car IS a necessity at FW.... we enjoyed tremendously touring the decorations around FW.... don't have to rent the entire stay, but need to for part of it if allowed. Still.... if you want a villa and know you do, the non cancellation policy is mute. honestly, we have never cancelled a ressie at WDW ... you can take out insurance in case an emergency happens and it protects you and the DVC member. WL is the best bet!!!!!
    cindymouse6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12