Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Late Aug planning advice - discounts? in the Ask The Experts forums; Apologies in advance for a long winded post, but I'm 99% set on going down in late August and have been busily planning away. I hoping to get some feedback ...
    weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Question Late Aug planning advice - discounts?

Apologies in advance for a long winded post, but I'm 99% set on going down in late August and have been busily planning away. I hoping to get some feedback for options hotel-wise that I was mulling over.

First off, based on your experience, how likely is it that there will be discounted rates on rooms offered? It seems to be very typical but if you have done this what % off have you seen? Is it to the general public as well as AP holders? I'm also assuming the free DDP offers usually don't hit until September.

I'm planning on doing a split stay between resorts, because I haven't been down in so long and I'd like to try 1 (or 2) new places. I have come up with basically 4 alternatives that do factor in some level of discounting.

#1 3 nights at a moderate, 4 nights at WL or AKL
    #2 4 nights at a moderate, 3 nights at Polynesian
    #3 4 nights at WL, 3 nights at AKL (on the assumption these will get a significant discount)
    #4 3 nights at the Swan, 4 nights at WL or AKL.

I'm considering the Swan because of location and the fact that as a hotel it offers more amenities than the moderates. But if there was the possibility of the DDP being offered I would scratch it from the list.

Thanks in advance!

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Late Aug planning advice - discounts?

self bumping this with a couple of comments -

I'm really looking only for past experience on late summer discounting. Obviously these things change from year to year and there is risk involved in basing my decision on the unknown. If you feel like commenting but don't want to do so on the forums you could shoot me a pm.

Again, thanks in advance!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Late Aug planning advice - discounts?

I used to visit in late August when I was younger because my mom was a teacher and I had two sisters. It was difficult for mom to take time off as a teacher, and she didn't care to take her kids out of school for a week just to go on a vacation. I always remember August being quite crowded, though it seemed to be students from the northeast. The good thing is that a lot of the schools in many parts of the country are already back in, and parents won't take their kids out of school so early in the year. I remember it being very hot, with long lines, especially at Space Mountain. Of course, back then there was only Epcot as an alternate park.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.