Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW restaurants taking orders using PDA in the Ask The Experts forums; I have searched the forums and I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so I am asking everyone to help answer it for me. In 1995 ...
    Leese is offline A-Ticket holder

Post WDW restaurants taking orders using PDA

I have searched the forums and I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so I am asking everyone to help answer it for me.

In 1995 when I took our first trip to WDW all of the restaurants were using something like a PDA or Pocket PC to take your orders, which would then wirelessly transmit your order to the kitchen. When I returned about 6 years later they went to just writing it out on a paper ticket or remembering your order by memory. When I go in November I will like to see if their technology is still the same.

Does anyone know the history of them? Was it just being used on a trial basis at the time? Were they just a normal Pocket PC with a wireless connection?

Thanks all for the help.
    Last edited by Leese; 10-26-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling and phrase

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: WDW restaurants taking orders using PDA

Have we as a society gotten to the point where we can't even sit down and wait to order our food, and to have it cooked and served to us? Egad.

Maybe it would be faster if, when we placed our food order via PDA, we give them permission to eat it for us, too. That should save some time.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Leese View Post
    I have searched the forums and I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so I am asking everyone to help answer it for me.

In 1995 when I took our first trip to WDW all of the restaurants were using something like a PDA or Pocket PC to take your orders, which would then wirelessly transmit your order to the kitchen. When I returned about 6 years later they went to just writing it out on a paper ticket or remembering your order by memory. When I go in November I will like to see if their technology is still the same.

Does anyone know the history of them? Was it just being used on a trial basis at the time? Were they just a normal Pocket PC with a wireless connection?

Thanks all for the help.
    Welcome to the boards.

I cannot say I am recalling seeing the PDA type devices at sit down restaurants, table side, not to say some establishments might actually do so. What I have seen all over WDW dining locations including quick service restaurants is a Kiosk that uses the same type of tech.
    At QS when you place your order and at sit down dining the wait staff entering into a mounted tablet type device.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

dont remember seeing anything like that this past aug when i was at wdw!

many of the table service resturants did check you in for your adr on a tablet type device, which seemed to keep track of what tables were full, any special requests/occasions for a specific table...but as far as ordering...we had great waiters/waitress!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in any of the sit-down restaurants either.

It may have been a short experiment for just a few months just to see how they worked. I would think that if a waiter/waitress dropped it or it just wore out it would be quite an expense compared to just replacing a regular ticket book.

Yea you are right eeyore79 all the wait staff were great each time we went there. When we went to the 50's prime time cafe I remember the waiter scaring the daylights out of my wife when he squirted her with the mustard bottle that had a string in it instead of mustard.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I kind of remember that at an Epcot restaurant in the early 90s and being impressed with the technology... and welcome!

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I really don't remember anything of the sort at all. I've eaten at the Contempo Cafe a couple times and they have the computers where you place your order and pick it up when it's done, then bring it to a register to pay. I'm sure there are a few other QSs' that use this, just can't come up with them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I kind of remember that at an Epcot restaurant in the early 90s and being impressed with the technology... and welcome!
    I wouldn't doubt it, especially if it was in Epcot.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Thanks everyone for all your help. If you know of a cast member that worked in WDW restaurants back in October 1995 please ask them about the pocket pc/PDA. If you hear of anything please let me know.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it, especially if it was in Epcot.
    The biggest restaurant technology I recall at Epcot from the late 80s/early 90s was walking up to a kiosk and having a video chat with an agent to book a reservation.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Thanks Supernova I believe I remember that also, if I remember right weren't there about 4 tv screens in a circle?

Yes they were and you could also go into guest services at Epcot and book a meal too. All back in the day before Dining Plan and even more so the Free Dining Plan.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

When it comes to making a reservation now days how does it work? Do you still have a kiosk or do you just use your cell phone?

That is rapidly changing. Now you can book online, 180 days in advance for guests of WDW. It leaves little wiggle room for being in the mood to spontaneously want a steak instead of quick service.

When free dining is being offered a good chunk of guests eat a meal a day at a sit down. The resorts were just not designed to handle that many meals being served per day so everything is booked way in advance. Results in seating times being off, rushed meals, more buffets, food that takes less time to prepare and serve.

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

honestly, I am tired of no ADR's available... so I love the new rules... even tho I plan ahead for the room, I seem to be deficit in making ADR's. trying to coordinate early entry, etc. seems to be a hassly when seeing numerous tables empty when wanting a table. there should be some accountability for ADR's.... will make a difference.
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast