Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Annual Pass/Resort Discounts in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello all, Long time listener, first time caller. I had something I couldn't track down using any go-to sources (the forums, allears, mousesavers) and was hoping that people with experience ...
    jim-b is offline A-Ticket holder

Annual Pass/Resort Discounts

Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I had something I couldn't track down using any go-to sources (the forums, allears, mousesavers) and was hoping that people with experience as annual passholders may be able to help.

I'm trying to figure out whether to get an annual pass to the world for my wife and I. I've seen a lot about the rough break-even points of the ticket costs, but what I haven't found much detail on are the resort discounts. How do they compare to the discounts available to the public? Historically, have there been passholder discounts during time periods that there are no public discounts? Also, have free dining discounts been made available to passholders as well when they are offered?

Any help you guys can provide would be great, and thanks!

Jim

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Annual Pass/Resort Discounts

It's tough to really answer. From what I've generally seen, there is almost always a discount available to the public. As for how it compares, I think that some of the PIN codes people get tend to be a bit better, but they are slightly better than most of the general discounts.

I can't tell you what the current passholder discounts are as my pass just expired this week and I can't access the site.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

As an AP holder, you might do better off with a Tables in Wonderland card and those discounts as opposed to rack rates and free dining. No one plan works for everyone, it's really a matter of crunching numbers on different options to see what works best for you.

And, welcome to the boards.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Ah, I did miss the bit about free dining.

"Free" Dining is not free in a sense. It requires you to get a room a full "rack" rate (the posted rates) plus a minimum length of MYW ticket (typically two days) in a package, and then you get "free" dining. It's essentially a discount like any other, marketed differently.

It is offered to passholders in the sense that it is offered to everyone - but you pay just as much as anyone. You cannot get a discounted room through any means and get free dining, and you are forced to get a ticket - although you can keep that ticket for future use.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Some of the AP discounts on DVC resorts, especially the less popular ones, are tempting. I got 42% off a villa at Old Key West in 2010 with my AP. I've seen similar discounts at Saratoga.

I second the use of the Tables in Wonderland card. Meal discounts of 20% and free valet parking. Don't forget merchandise discounts for AP holders. I always ask the CMs about AP discounts and usually get one. Sometimes as high as 20%. Free parking for AP holders too . . .

Ballpark, if you plan to spend 10 or more days on property in a 365-day period the AP is probably the way to go.