Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Advise on visiting WDW with an elderly relative in the Ask The Experts forums; Does anyone have any suggestions for visiting WDW with a elderly - like 77 or 78 years old - relative? What sort of attractions and experiences do you think would ...
    Stitch_626 is offline A-Ticket holder

Advise on visiting WDW with an elderly relative

Does anyone have any suggestions for visiting WDW with a elderly - like 77 or 78 years old - relative? What sort of attractions and experiences do you think would be best? Space Mountain and Big Thunder are out of the question!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Advise on visiting WDW with an elderly relative

We did Christmas with my Dad when he genuinely thought he was dieing (fortunately he was self diagnosing and needed a gall bladderer removed.)

He did almost everything in Epcot minus Test track and Mission. A good chunk of everything from MK minus the spinney rides and coasters. The shows were perfect in DHS and the slow rides, no coaster or TTT.

AK was the hardest. He did do the safari and shows but that was a longer day for him and he wasn't big on animals or plants.

What we did do was rent a electric cart from home. It was just less than $100.00 a week from a medical supply store. He was able to take it down the jet way and they returned it right back to the jet way when we landed. The buses accommodated it where he could just roll aboard. If you are arriving by car and can't take one with, the Boardwalk rents the electric carts by the week!

The cart and the cooler December January temps made the trip for my Dad very do-able.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We went with my parents a few years back and dad had alzheimer's. We visited DAK and Epcot with them and they sat out a few of the motion rides, but still enjoyed Test Track and Soarin'. I think the Unofficial Guide has touring plans for this. If not, you can almost use the yound children guide, but skip the toddler attraction like Dumbo.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Another issue is mobility. My parents did not use any of those scooters, but we didn't rush from place to place and they took breaks when we rode something they did not want to do.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I would love advice also. We are spending 10 days in Orlando with an 18 year old who wants to do it all, a 78 year old who doesn't want to do much and a 76 year old who wants to be into every thing but doesn't want to do much. I think it will be where we split up a lot. Not quite what my mom has planned but I think it is the only way to make everyone happy! DD and I like to walk to places quickly and the older folks just can't.

Any more suggestions will be great- I know we won't do a scooter.