Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss What is it?? in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok guys... a wonderful person on Flickr has allowed me to use her photos on the Extinct Disney site. In perusing her set, I came across this one that has ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question What is it??

Ok guys... a wonderful person on Flickr has allowed me to use her photos on the Extinct Disney site. In perusing her set, I came across this one that has totally stumped me. She had it listed as construction of the Contemporary and the Monorail but that's obviously incorrect (not only because you can clearly see the Contemporary and Monorail in the background but because if this was taken from the Skyway, they were both open and operating already).

I'm thinking this is something over in Tomorrowland... is this potentially a shot of the framing for Space Mountain?

Help! What is it?

Building the monorail, and the Contemporary by haldechick, on Flickr
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Re: What is it??

Ok further investigation and discussing with DH...

Is this maybe Space Mountain and the track for the WEDWay Peoplemover where it exits?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Ok it is DEFINITELY Space Mountain... *hee hee* (sorry I'm giddy - I love shots like this)

Space Mountain (construction) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Annnnnd... got the answer (LOL)

ImagineeringDisney Tumblr

Scroll down until you see the picture above.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Didn't need to see it. The proximity and direction from the Contemporary, as well as the Sky Ride wire gave it away immediately. Pretty sure that concrete structure towards the bottom middle is a trestle for the train track as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Pretty sure that concrete structure towards the bottom middle is a trestle for the train track as well.
    Indeed it is! Nice!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yes, outstanding photo!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Definitely cool...I admit my first thought from looking at the building structure was that it might be the CoP building, with the very vertical columns, but it would be on the wrong side of the skyway...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Yep, same here.

The angle of The Contemporary was the first tip off.

Then, considering the sky ride would have come down to the left (in the photo, anyway) of the CoP...

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

These days, it would all be one big construction wall, anyway.

Wow, I miss the old Skyway.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

They had walls up back in those days as well. If they didn't, there wouldn't be an insurance company in the world that would cover them.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Nice shot of that construction.

Was this taken before the park was open? I didn't go until the mid to late 70s, but I don't remember Tomorrowland being so unfinished.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Oh yeah, brother. Tomorrowland was essentially empty until '75. It had the little car track, If You Had Wings, Flight To The Moon, and I'm pretty sure that was it. I was too young to remember what it looked like, but my dad and brother have both told me it really wasn't even worth going to at the time.

I had no idea. Sounds like Disney rushed another opening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast