Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cvisme123
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss PAL Mickey? in the Ask The Experts forums; Has anyone taken a PAL Mickey to the Parks lately? Will it still work? If so, will it work in all the parks or just Magic Kingdom? Considering trying to ...
    RJPiner is offline A-Ticket holder

PAL Mickey?

Has anyone taken a PAL Mickey to the Parks lately? Will it still work? If so, will it work in all the parks or just Magic Kingdom? Considering trying to find one on ebay for our MAY trip. Saw them on my trip in 2006 but did not get one because my CDPA (Chronic Disney Parks Addiction) had not fully take hold me yet. My Wife and I are both ER nurses and CDPA is what she has DX us with.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: PAL Mickey?

Before you spend good money on one I'd go to the source. Fire off an email to Disney's Guest Relations and ask if Pal is still operational.
    Could be people are just looking to unload their obsolete Pals on Ebay.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I'd love to know what you find out because we have a Pal Mickey and on the last 4 or 5 trips didn't bother taking him because we assumed he wouldn't work anymore. I seem to remember a thread here a year or so ago on this topic where they said the Verizon phone integration replaced the signals that fed to Pal but I can't find it anywhere. Still hunting.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Found it: Pal Mickey?

Unfortunately it looks like indeed he no longer interacts. That said however, the reason we still have him (aside from the obvious fact that we never get rid of anything Disney in this house) is because even outside the parks he's fun. He interacts with games and jokes etc. and my son just loves him.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

RJPiner is offline A-Ticket holder

Hauntedgabe and BamaJen thank you so much for your help! That is too bad. The WDWradio family is great! This is only my second forum post and I have received great information already!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Hmm...I read reports as of last September that Pal Mickey still interacted with the parks. It worked on a completely different system and had nothing to do with Verizon. Of course anything that he interacted with that has changed significantly wouldn't work, since he can't be updated. Haven't seen much discussion on it since though...

There isn't actually any "phone integration" in the parks with Verizon or any other company. The Mobile Magic app work over the standard Verizon data network. What Disney does have, and has had for many years, is a local repeater network for the cellular carriers so they don't need to have unsightly cell towers near the parks.

Edit: Forgot to mention - Pal Mickey used infrared sensors to pick up on a transmitter near the attraction to determine where it happened to be, and then recite whatever pre-recorded info it had for that location.
    Last edited by doconeill; 02-01-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Edit: Forgot to mention - Pal Mickey used infrared sensors to pick up on a transmitter near the attraction to determine where it happened to be, and then recite whatever pre-recorded info it had for that location.
    Yeah it's not that the phone interaction made it so Pal Mickey wouldn't work... as I understood it, it was simply that because they created the Verizon app, they no longer were doing the Pal Mickey thing.

I'd love it if the posts I've seen over the past couple years on the topic were wrong and it were indeed working... ours would be making a trip back to his home.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I haven't bothered to carry him to a park of late. I guess I could do that soon and be able to update this thread. When one tries not to bring anything out of the ordinary with you to the parks, carrying Pal Mickey isn't that inviting - as cute as he is.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I haven't bothered to carry him to a park of late. I guess I could do that soon and be able to update this thread. When one tries not to bring anything out of the ordinary with you to the parks, carrying Pal Mickey isn't that inviting - as cute as he is.
    We could send you in with one of those baby slings.

Bet you would get some interesting looks and appear in some websight photos.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

cvisme123 is offline A-Ticket holder

I have taken a pal Mickey to WDW and it still works, and it's 2013. The only thing it doesn't do is say what time parades are anymore
    HauntedGabe likes this.