Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Our Vacation in September in the Ask The Experts forums; My husband and I were wondering if number one if you purchase Park tickets for only a few days of your vacation and change your mind do you have to ...
    Sagefyre is offline A-Ticket holder

Our Vacation in September

My husband and I were wondering if number one if you purchase Park tickets for only a few days of your vacation and change your mind do you have to pay full price for a ticket if you want to add a day? Also can you split your time between two resorts? We both have ones we like.

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Our Vacation in September

You can add upgrade the tickets before you use them; however, you can only upgrade them to Annual Passes after that. It's cheaper to upgrade beforehand, so I would take the risk and spend the extra bucks up front.

Also, you can split time between the two resorts, and Disney will even transfer your luggage. However, if you are planning on doing free dining, which I'm guessing you are since you are going in September, be aware that you have to buy tickets for each resort. For example, if you decide to stay at Port Orleans for three days, and Contemporary for three days, you'll have to buy two sets of tickets: one for Port Orleans and one for Contemporary. Otherwise, you will only get free dining at whichever resort you buy tickets at. I hate this and wish it wasn't so. We're going in September, too, and staying at a moderate. I'd love to spend our last night at one of the deluxes, but we don't want to have to buy tickets at each, especially since we already have annual passes!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

So if you do the dining plan it only is vaild at the resort you are staying at? And thank you for answering my questions.

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

No, you can use the dining plan at most restaurants on property, so all the resorts plus the parks plus several Downtown Disney locations. When you are making reservations, just make sure to check the "accepts dining plan" box to get those restaurants that do accept points. I believe their is also a list of quick service on the parks website as well.

To clarify my earlier comment, in order to qualify for free dining, you must purchase a minimum of a two-day base ticket per stay. A stay counts only as your time at one resort. For example, if you stayed at both Port Orleans and Contemporary, you would need to purchase a minimum of a two-day base ticket to go along with each stay. This means that instead of purchasing a four day base during your first stay and rolling those tickets over, you'd have to purchase two separate sets of tickets. The reason this matters is because the cost per day decreases dramatically the longer you purchase tickets for. Going with just the minimum, a two-day base ticket is $168, or $84 per day per person; a four-day base ticket, however, is only $243, or $60.75 per day per person. If you had to two sets of two-day base tickets, which you'd have to do to stay at two resorts, you'd be spending $93 more per person. And that's only for a base ticket; if you add the park hopper option the difference is even greater.

So, while you can switch hotels, depending on how many people you have going, you have to decide if it is worth the extra $93 or more per person.

If you really want to go to the other resort, one other option is to not go on free dining the last night and stay only one night. If you plan on eating off property, this could work as you have till midnight of your check out day to use your dining points. Just a thought.

Sorry if this is confusing. Normally we just switch hotels and have no problems, but free dining messes that all up. However, I'm not complaining because I LOVE FREE DINING! It's such a great deal. When are you going in September? We'll be there Labor Day week and at the end of the month for the Tower of Terror Ten-Miler.
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

We are planning on the 23 - 29th. Don't worry about the confusion it was more than likely me. We are hoping to switch between port Orleans Riverside and Boardwalk. Two different price levels but we want to change it up some we have always stayed at the Riverside.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Sagefyre View Post
    My husband and I were wondering if number one if you purchase Park tickets for only a few days of your vacation and change your mind do you have to pay full price for a ticket if you want to add a day? Also can you split your time between two resorts? We both have ones we like.
    [For some reason multi-quote isn't working...]

I want to correct what disneyrunchick said about upgrading tickets.

If you have purchased Magic Your Way (MYW) tickets, either separately or as part of a package, you can upgrade them to add days or features for up to 14 days from the day you first use it, and as long as there is still an active entitlement on it. You are not required to upgrade to Annual Passes.

So for instance, if you first use the ticket on the 1st, you can add days or features up through and including the 14th. However, if you use your last available entitlement - say, you got a 4-day ticket and used the 4th day on the 7th, you have only until the end of the day on the 7th to add more days.

If you got the ticket as part of a package, and the ticket is on your Key To The World card, then you are exempt from the "last entitlement" rule, and have the full 14 days.

This "last entitlement" rule is relatively new.

Also, you cannot add days beyond 10. If you want to go beyond 10, you either need to get a new ticket, or go to an Annual Pass. And if you want to go to an AP, you're better off upgrading sooner, as you can get discounts, etc.

So if you do the dining plan it only is vaild at the resort you are staying at? And thank you for answering my questions.
    I think what you are asking is that if you get the dining plan as part of one resort stay, does it carry through a second resort stay as part of a split stay - you can certainly using DDP points at restaurants all across the property regardless of which resort you stay at.

Each resort reservation is separate, even if "linked" together, and even if they are actually at the same resort. The Dining Plan is only good for the reservation in which it was booked. You can't use the credits until you've checked in for that reservation, and they expire at midnight the night of your check-out date.

So, say you have one reservation with DDP starting on the 1st and checking out on the 4th, and then a second room-only reservation checking in on the 4th and out on the 7th, you get your DDP credits on check in on the 1st, and you have to use them by the night of the 4th. They do not carry over at all.

Some people actually book a linked "split" stay at the same resort just so they don't need to play for the DDP for their entire stay, but then they have to use up those credits in a condensed amount of time.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We've added days to our tickets in the past with no problem. On a seven day ticket, we just added two days for $8. Just add the extra day prior to using the ticket on the last day.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    We've added days to our tickets in the past with no problem. On a seven day ticket, we just added two days for $8. Just add the extra day prior to using the ticket on the last day.
    I did forget to add to my post: When upgrading a ticket that has been used at least once, you only pay the difference in price between what the gate price of the current ticket is an the new price. The current prices for additional days after the 4th is $8+tax/day (just a few years ago it was only $4). This preserves any discount you may have gotten for the ticket by buying through an authorized reseller, pre-price-increase purchase, etc. (At least you are supposed to - sometimes CMs error in the procedure - it's a good idea to know what you should be paying.)

If you add days BEFORE your trip or before you use the ticket, you generally have to pay the difference in the purchase price of the ticket and the new ticket, which could be more. And if you got it from a third-party reseller, it isn't the price YOU paid, but the price the reseller paid, which would be less than what you paid. So it is VERY important to use that ticket at least once before upgrading.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Thank goodness for Disney Experts!